1/72 RAAF F/A-18A Hornet

Just finished this one over the weekend litterally for the ACTSMS Blitz Build.

It is the old Hasegawa kit build more or less OOB. I only added the LEX fences. Decals are from a PD sheet. The kit decals were useless so I have to add a few more like slime lights, etc. I also found that the PD data stencils were all printed the light grey of the paint scheme so any placed on the lower fuselage disappeared into the paintwork.

The scheme is for the 77SQN 50th Anniversary in 1992.

Here are the finished pictures

BB12_Hornet22.jpg

BB12_Hornet23.jpg

BB12_Hornet25.jpg

BB12_Hornet24.jpg

BB12_Hornet29.jpg

BB12_Hornet34.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Hornet. The nose art sems to be a replica of a similar one seen on a wartime P-40. Does this represent the same squadron?

I recall making an Aussie one some tyears ago but never knew what happened to it. Used some Aussie decals for a special scheme on it too.

Thanks Chaps

Nice Hornet. The nose art sems to be a replica of a similar one seen on a wartime P-40. Does this represent the same squadron?

I recall making an Aussie one some tyears ago but never knew what happened to it. Used some Aussie decals for a special scheme on it too.

Yes Paul, 77SQN operated P-40s in the Pacific Threatre and SQNLDR Dick Creswell was the CO at the time. He had the 3 flags on the nose of his Kitty. This scheme was to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the formation of 77SQN which still operates Hornets and should go on to operate F-35s when they come into service sometime inthe next century (TIC). In fact the pilot name on the side of this jet is SQNLDR Cresswell!

• 1 month later...