Lets have a look at a-models 1/72 shuttle BTS-02 russian type

jetboy

Hi,hope your enjoying your weekend,right heres a quick look at A-models russian shuttle,recently received,it threw up a few suprises,for me ,as i didnt anything about the kit,before i bought it.For the money,i could of bought two 1/72 monogram shuttles with boosters,and maybe scratch built this version,or maybe not?
First off,quite a large box not much about the kit on it,nice painting though,real one would of been nice...second,i was totally suprised by the kit coming with the shuttle,already assembled and no chance of a open cargo bay.and lastly it came with three med size bags of parts and a very limited decal sheet,anyway heres the evidence,have a look yourself and form your own opinions,its very picture heavy sorry ....cheers

Hi, i was looking for pics of the new a-model shuttle stack last night,and came across this thread,and noticed all the pics had gone,its a shame,it seems when photobucket decided to upgrade,all my older pics have been moved to albums,so i thought this deserves to be reposted,so heres the pics again,which now they are in a sub-album,will hopefully stop there.....so here they are again......

its a big box...

044-11.jpg

045-9.jpg

i opened the box,and was suprised to find,a ready built shuttle ,? shrinkwrapped

046-8.jpg

047-8.jpg

048-8.jpg

lokks very nicely made,fibre glass?resin?grp,looks like the seams willsoon sand,....but no payload bay,unless you contemplate major surgery,though with this version,not sure it had a operating payload bay?

049-7.jpg

050-7.jpg

looks nicely made,a good foundation for some scratch building?

051-5.jpg

a bit of surface detail scribed in,

052-3.jpg

underside,

053-4.jpg

scribing detail on the leading edge,s

054-5.jpg

055-7.jpg

might need a bit of work to fit the undercarriage in?

056-6.jpg

058-3.jpg

its a nice size

059-2.jpg

next to a 1/72 shuttle

060-2.jpg

061-1.jpg

the decals?....no tiles

062.jpg

right thats the main fuselage,

cheers Don

Thanks Don,

didn't even know that this existed! Although I would much prefer an IM 1:144 (the resin Anigrand being rather expensive); as I really do like the Russian space program subjects.

Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on the real space subjects

cheers

HI AGAIN LAST FEW PICS OF BOOK OF WORDS,ENJOY

076-1.jpg

077-2.jpg

078-2.jpg

079-2.jpg

080-1.jpg

081-1.jpg

...PS YOU DONT EVEN GET A STAND STRANGE ?

SO APOLOGIES for reposting this,its just i hate a blank post,especially as i have not removed it,......cheers Don

looking forward to the stack version,out now,and ordered...Don

Edited by jetboy

Thanks Don,

didn't even know that this existed! Although I would much prefer an IM 1:144 (the resin Anigrand being rather expensive); as I really do like the Russian space program subjects.

Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on the real space subjects

cheers

CHEERS mike,i see your looking for details on russian airfield vehicles,it just so happens,i bought a set last year a russian airfield set,only bought it for the missiles,and used the concrete base,set up as well,so theres left a truck bowser.a gaz truck,and i believe a radio or radar truck,also have seperate kit of a russian starter truck,more than welcome to make use of them if you want,just pm me with an adress,i will try and find the kit box for the airfield set,these are all 1/72 by the way,its a bit small for me unless its a rocket...btw marquette? do a passable sam launcher,i do have them,not sure if you would want them,but wont be giving them away....then theres the airfix sam transporter still around on e bay,very nice but too small,they should reissue in 1/35 anyway heres pics of kits you can have if you want. cheers Don

061-1.jpg

045-10.jpg

043-12.jpg

JFYI - this kit represents BTS-02 - not spaceworthy version of "Buran" - an article for automatic approach and landing tests. Its distinctive feature are four turbojet engine pods in the tail.

Have you seen http://www.buran.ru - an ultimate source of information about Buran programme?

CHEERS pin,nice links,must learn how to do that?im saving that site thanks Don

Hi Don,

Good review. I saw this at Telford a few weeks ago and was tempted. But, it was on the Polish or Czech model shop stand and I didn't see a price - I don't like asking because when it's horrendously expensive I can't hide the look of shock when I'm told the price!!! And since they had travelled all the way from Eastern Europe I didn't want to upset them. It sounds like it was very expensive given that you could have bought TWO Monogram shuttle stacks!!!!!!

Many thanks,

Jeff

Average price in Russia/Ukraine is about £110 + postage

The cheapest price I found is $162 (£100) + postage

http://amarket.pl.ua/index.php?productID=202

Average price in UK is about £160

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/model-bts02-space-shuttle-02772-p-15220.html

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/amodel-bts02-space-shuttle-72027-p-14967.html

that is reasonable for the short run kit of that size

Average price in Russia/Ukraine is about £110 + postage

The cheapest price I found is $162 (£100) + postage

http://amarket.pl.ua...p?productID=202

Average price in UK is about £160

http://www.emodels.c...72-p-15220.html

http://www.modelhobb...27-p-14967.html

that is reasonable for the short run kit of that size

Well, that's not too bad and as you say it is for a large short run model. Thanks...

Very interesting kit, I love the subject, too pricey for me and I don't like the big resin fuselage and wings in one block.

Here's a little Youtube video to get you in the Buran shuttle mood. :D

The Buran Analog actually has features of two Russian shuttle designs in it. There was a second Buran type in the works intended for more military based missions and the plan was to extend the glide range (reentry cross range) of the thing by fitting it with two jet engines in the OMS pod locations on a US shuttle. In fact, if you look at images of the Analog on display in Germany, you can see it fitted with folding engine intake covers for the top engine pods. The side engines were added specifically for the Analog approach test program.

One might say Analog is the Russian equivalent of Enterprise, since although it was only used for approach and landing tests, it's airframe seems to indicate it was built to the same production specs as the flight orbiters. So I have to wonder if the Russians were trying something like what NASA was doing, making their first test airframes with the possible intention of converting them to operational orbiters at a later date.

Thanks very much for the images of this kit. Amodel did a total of two Buran kits, this one and the Atlant transport plane (modified Myasischev bomber) with a stripped down Buran on top (no vertical tail and no paint or tiles on the exterior). The shuttle airframe is formed fiberglass and not styrene, so be careful when working with it and while the rest of the bits are styrene, it means you will need to glue them with CA or epoxy to the body.

I've wanted to get one of these for years, but have never quite had the money when I've seen them. My ultimate goal is to get one, modify it into the Buran and stick it on a scratchbuilt Energia carrier rocket. In fact, I was hoping Amodel would go ahead and do a Buran stack as a kit as I heard rumors they were considering it (and they tooled up part of the Energia core for another Atlant kit). But it seems like those plans got shelved as I am not expecting them to do one at all now. I've got enough dimensional data and skill to take a stab at a scratchbuild though when the time is finally right. It would certainly look good next to one of my other shuttle stacks in any event (such as the Moonraker).

Edited by JMChladek
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

HI,as i was trawling the net last night,for some details on the new a model energia stack,i found this thread,but the pics had been removedmdue to photobuckets rearrangement,si ive just reposted them,and sorry if you expected something new,NOTyet?its on its way......

nothing worse than a thread with no pics,so apologies again, Don