Saab J-21 A Heller 1/72

AndrewE

Hi,

I would like to join the GB with the old Heller 1/72 Saab J-21A. I am going to start this today with some panel rescribing. Unfortunately my Photobucket account does not seem to be working at the moment, can't access my pictures or upload new ones but once I get it sorted I will post some pics.

Andrew

Success at last with photobucket so here are a couple of pics of the box & contents and progress so far.

Cockpit is painted black at the moment, I will do the seat harness and highlights later. The plastic seems very brittle, one half of one boom broke and one main u/c leg as well. I shall replace the gun and pitot tube with steel microtubing. I filled the nose with lead so it will not be a tail sitter, I just hope the u/c is strong enough to take it!.

Andrew

SwedishGB01.jpg

SwedishGB02.jpg

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the build as all is not going to plan. The plastic used by Heller is so brittle that both main u/c legs have snapped and I have had to drill out the lower half to take metal replacement parts for the lower halves. These are made from pins and will have to be drilled into the top of the tyre at the bottom to make sure everything is sturdy enough. The other main problem is the canopy which I have ruined the front section trying to get to fit so I will have to get another one from somewhere before I can finish the build. On the positive side all of the guns and pitot tube have been replaced with steel microtubing and are a great improvement and the replacement decals from RDB Studio are very good and will make a big difference to those supplied with the kit. I have also put the missing landing lights into the wing leading edges. It will be finished but maybe not by the end of the GB.

Andrew

SwedishGB03.jpg

SwedishGB04.jpg