Tamiya F16 CJ Block 50 1/32nd scale updated 19/1/2013

Stinger 9

Hello again to those of you interested in my builds.
This kit has been sittting around at my abode for the last 8 months waiting to be constructed so I decided to do this one ahead of the F15 that is also waiting to be built. I also picked up a 1/32 scale Tornado that will now go into hibernation until the Falcon and the Eagle are completed. That could be about 1 year away.
Here is the box cover. Being a Tamiya kit, I would expect exceptional quality as I still maintain they set the standard for quality and fit.
This is quite a detailed kit so it won't be a quick build. I do love the fact they have catered for the removal of the weapons if necessary and also provide a box that can be used to store the completed kit. Very clever.
IMG_0002640x427.jpg

The first part of building this kit is to commence building the dolly to hold the engine which can be removed from the aircraft. What a great idea as we spend so much time painting and detailing the engine and yet it becomes like the GLW's flange - you know it's there but you never get to see it ! Well, not much anyway.
Given this situation, I will leave it until last and then decide if I will build it given no one else is going to see the engine except me. It will most probably not be built.
I am also not going to build this as per the chronological order of the instruction booklet as the painting of the major parts needs to be sprayed so I will do that now and then do the fiddly brush work on the other parts when I am incapacitated next month.

I started with the rear air duct which also has the main landing gear which I primed and sprayed. Next came the engine bay bulkhead which required some brushwork as opposed to spraying.
IMG_0007594x640.jpg

The titanium gold paint cost $4 and I will most probably not use it again so I guess those two bits that got that colour could be the most costly part of the build pro rata. The model shop must love me as I spent close to $70 on paints that will probably only get used once or twice.

The engine bay next got attended to with a mixture of spray painting ( from a can as I don't have an air brush) along with hand painting of the yellow green as they don't make that in a spray.

IMG_0008640x353.jpg

These two parts got assembled and the result is thus

IMG_0009366x640.jpg

Then came the most tricky bit so far. Introducing the rear air duct to the engine bay. This is supposed to be not glued together and the rear air duct just pushed into the opening of the engine bay. Let me tell you the fit was like trying to explore the chocolate starfish without proper preparation - very very tight and very difficult to enter. After trimming the flange - gosh I love doing flange work , it all went together nicely. It taught me a great lesson - when trying to get something large into a tight opening, prepare well !
Here is the result of the build so far.
IMG_0011640x256.jpg

I have been pondering what colour to do this aircraft. Whilst I know most of these F16's are in various shades of grey, I do like colour in my models so might do it in something completely against the norm just to be dfferent. Given it is spring / summer here in Oz, I was thinking of doing it in bright vibrant colours just like the new seasons fashions. Bold yellows, decadent purples and vivacious pinks leap to mind. So I pondered as to what Mr. Dolce and his wife Mr. Gabana might consider and came up with pale pastels. Nice pale lemon, strawberry milkshake pink, light mint green etc etc etc. I will have to ponder this predicament as I really think going down either of those avenues might be like Donatella Versace - a complete disaster and extremely ugly.
Let's see what happens.
Until next time, this is Monty signing off

Edited by Stinger 9

Pastel pink F-16s, eh? Well you experimental types will try anything, I suppose.

Having built two Tamiya kits this year, I have to disagree about being the best of the best of the best, sir, with honours. But I've heard only good things about the big Viper, so good luck to you and your flange fun.

Al

Pastel pink F-16s, eh? Well you experimental types will try anything, I suppose.

Having built two Tamiya kits this year, I have to disagree about being the best of the best of the best, sir, with honours. But I've heard only good things about the big Viper, so good luck to you and your flange fun.

Al

My comments about Tamiya being brilliant is based on the garage of F1 cars I have done in various scales and also an F14 Tomcat I did many years ago. Having said that, the quality of the Trumpeter Nighthawk was superb. So far, this build is going well with the parts fitting beautifully so hopefully there won't be any issues. The parts I have test fitted fit as snug as a bug in a rug.

I have decided to do the scheme in yellow tones so the top half is matt dark yellow and the bottom half is a matt light sand. I have experimented with the sprays and it look a bit different but at the same time not too bad as it is more along the lines of a desert scheme. There might also be a twist in the tale as I might not let sleeping tigers lie.

Regards,

Monty

Hi all,

A bit more done on this aircraft. The lower fuselage inner frame has been assembled to the lower fuselage

IMG_0006640x427.jpg

I test fitted the main landing gear assembly to the lower fuselage as indicated below.

IMG_0008640x427.jpg

View from behind

IMG_0012640x427.jpg

Fixed into place using screws supplied. Beautiful fit

IMG_0017640x427.jpg

Main landing gear bay from below

IMG_0018640x427.jpg

Front air duct sprayed and ready to be installed.

IMG_0016617x640.jpg

Front air intake test fitted. Again an excellent fit. This will be pulled apart so the wheels can be fitted at the appropriate juncture.

IMG_0020484x640.jpg

So far so good I think. More photos as I continue at various times.

Regards,

Monty

Sure looks nice from here!

You don't half do neat work using spray cans. Maybe I should take a better look at that as an option in 1/32, I tend to soldier on doing large areas with a 0.2mm airbrush :sleeping:

Al

• Like 1

Sure looks nice from here!

You don't half do neat work using spray cans. Maybe I should take a better look at that as an option in 1/32, I tend to soldier on doing large areas with a 0.2mm airbrush :sleeping:

Al

Thanks Al,

Spray cans are great for large areas as you can do a large area quite quickly. You do tend to use quite a bit of paint as you can't control the pressure of the spray so I guess that is the advantage of the air brush. Also, smaller areas require quite a bit of masking if you do happen to use a spray can and you do waste quite a bit of paint.

I once tried to do a camouflage scheme using spray cans and whilst the result was quite good from a distance, up close the demarcation lines were quite prominent and the colours did not blend in like the result from an air brush.

I must buy an air brush and have a crack at using one at some time. Until then, spray cans and brushes will suffice.

Regards,

Monty

• 4 weeks later...

Greeting readers,

A little bit more work done on the raptor. The front wheel is done and just needs the landing gear cover added.

IMG_0002427x640.jpg

Side view of the front wheel

IMG_0001640x427.jpg

The vertical fin is done and painted and needs the decals added. You just have to love the way this can be removed from the main body for storage and it also assists with applying the decals.

IMG_0004640x304.jpg

The paintwork has been done for the top of the wings

IMG_0006640x427-1.jpg

The bottom of the wing section which hopefully shows the difference in the two colours. The flaps have not been glued and are held on by masking tape for painting purposes. One does love working with flaps. I just don't know what it is about them.

IMG_0007640x427.jpg

The ventral fins have been added along with the chaff and flare dispensers and the arresting hook.

IMG_0022640x442.jpg

The rear wheels have been painted and attached. Left side. Just need the wheel covers added which will be done much later once any decals have been added.

IMG_0025640x427.jpg

Right side of the rear wheel with the battery painted and attached.

IMG_0027640x427.jpg

Looking from the rear towards the front of the wheel bay.

IMG_0028640x427.jpg

The more I do on this kit the more I think Tamiya sets the benchmark that much higher than others. The fit of the parts are like a novice honeymoon couple - very tight and fits beautifully.

Alas, due to this being the week before Christmas and with work extremely busy, not much will be done until the Christmas period is over. I will be convalescing from surgey so will have time to work on this dream kit after that.

Until the next installment - Merry Christmas to all and may you all have a safe and happy Christmas and New Year and may Santa bring you all those kits you have been dreaming of.

Regards,

Monty

Edited by Stinger 9

Hi Monty, its looking good so far.

I posted the finished build of this kit a while ago and it still sits pride of place in my collection!

You are right it is a benchmark, quality at its best.

All the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery......Brian.

• Like 1

Hi Monty, its looking good so far.

I posted the finished build of this kit a while ago and it still sits pride of place in my collection!

You are right it is a benchmark, quality at its best.

All the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery......Brian.

Thanks Brian

Indeed your words ring true as does your rendition of this aircraft - benchmark build.

Thanks for the kind words.

All the best,

Monty

Well, once more unto the breach old boy! How the heck did I miss this! This is looking great Monty, some great work with the spray can.

Many thanks for the comments young fellow. Indeed I had my bearer purchase several cans in various hues to accomodate this build. I had to pawn the Star of India to fund this extravaganza. Not to mention the plethora of bottles of paint to do the fiddly bits. Some I don't think will be used again this millenium. An expensive exercise what!

True, those bloody purveyors of liquid titanium and finest green hold us to a kings ransom for their goods. However, with this fine extravaganza of flaps and flanges, it somehow makes it all worthwhile. Toodlepip, I must be off to supervise my Meerkat wrangler!

• Like 1

True, those bloody purveyors of liquid titanium and finest green hold us to a kings ransom for their goods. However, with this fine extravaganza of flaps and flanges, it somehow makes it all worthwhile. Toodlepip, I must be off to supervise my Meerkat wrangler!

Indeed. I wonder how many times one will use Titanium Gold in one's lifetime. According to the instructions, there are 36 different colours to use. I did use two different versions of grey yesterday and it beats me if there is a real difference in the hue between them. This is a bigger rort than Liberace inviting an unsuspecting young fellow to be his protege with all expenses paid!

Hope the Meerkat roundup went well. My mahoot has the elephant ready for my memsahib to climb aboard so best be off. Those tiger hunts just can't wait. Mind you, SWMBO needs an elephant to support her weight given how much she has put on with all those g and t's !

Regards,

Monty

• Like 1

Some mighty fine work, this'll be a stunner, no doubt.

Thank you Dan for your kind words. I too hope it comes out reasonably well. I started on the pit yesterday and it is going to take an eternity to do it reasonably well. Quite a bit of detail to embellish and I shall no doubt add some colour to an otherwise grey segment. This could end up being the longest build ever.

Regards,

Monty

Edited by Stinger 9

Hello all.

I did a bit more work on this beast upon my return from surgery.

The pit has been done and just needs the instrument panel completed and attached. This did take a bit of time as painting the fiddly bits is quite time consuming given they are so small. Reminds me of trying to find the man in the boat on a very dark evening - extremely fiddly and time consuming but very satisfying in the end.

IMG_0009640x472.jpg

The ejector apparatus has been added and awaits the seat

IMG_0022399x640.jpg

Some photos of the seat. Not the greatest shots I have taken and it probably looks better in real life.

IMG_0021530x640.jpg

IMG_0020379x640.jpg

IMG_0019424x640.jpg

I have also completed the air brakes so I am getting through this however slowly

IMG_0014520x640.jpg

As it is a miserable stormy day outside, I shall continue on and try and do some more of this before the Christmas festivities commence this evening.

Merry Christmas to all.

Regards,

Monty

Happy Boxing Day to all and I do hope Santa was generous to you and provided you with those long sought after large scale aircrafts you have been longing for.

So the saga with this build continues.

I did some work on the engine and believe me, it does take quite a bit of time to do as there are several parts that need attention depending on how pedantic one is.

The first two parts were sprayed, however the second two parts were painted with a brush so that was somewhat time consuming waiting for the paint to dry and then doing the various colours. They turned out reasonably well.

IMG_0004640x636.jpg

More of the engine. Again some parts sprayed and others done with a brush.

IMG_0006640x427-2.jpg

IMG_0007640x280.jpg

The entire engine completed.

IMG_0005640x222.jpg

The engine access panel and exhaust nozzle completed. A combination of spraying and a hand job. Sounds familiar I am sure. It would be extremely handy if they did that yellow green in a spray. So much quicker and easier. It would also prevent complete numpties like a certain individual from spilling half a bottle of the stuff all over the table which incured the wrath of a certain red headed memsahib. Believe me, hell hath no fury like a rampaging red headed SWMBO.

IMG_0012640x329.jpg

A view from the underside

IMG_0013640x360.jpg

A test fit of the engine in the fuselage as seen from the underside. I was concerned about how it might fit into the cavity available however I need not have worried. It is a Tamiya after all. Fits perfectly. There is a guide along the top of the fuselage and the engine slides in and out for removal and insertion. Not too tight and not too loose so there is no rattling of parts. I was instantly reminded of a Ron Jeremy classic the way this can be pushed in and out !

IMG_0014640x427.jpg

Test fit of the engine in its bay and the lower access panel and exhaust nozzle also attached as viewed from the underside. Again, a perfect fit. You just have to love Tamiya and the extraordinary quality of this kit.

IMG_0015640x427.jpg

A view from the top of the engine test fitted. It is wonderful how the exhaust nozzle and the engine access panel can be easily removed and attached.

IMG_0017640x576.jpg

Onwards towards completion which could yet be quite a distance away as the instrument panel, weapons and other fiddly bits need to be done. Not to mention the decals which could also take an eternity. I must admit I have enjoyed the build so far. It has been like trying to identify a bogan at a Stockbrokers' party - a lot of fun.

Until later.

Regards,

Monty

Edited by Stinger 9

Salutations yet again.

Completed a bit more yesterday so here are some more shots that may or may not interest you.

The front instrument panel is complete with a little help from our Czech friend, Eduard. I also probably need to use a different lense when taking shots so close up as it is not quite crisp enough. It does look better in reality so apologies for my lack of prowess behind the lense.

IMG_0001574x640.jpg

The radar is also completed and awaits attachment to the body.

IMG_0005_1640x271.jpg

IMG_0007_1640x543.jpg

The weapon of choice is completed and was painted gunmetal, metallic grey and silver just for a bit of variation and colour

IMG_0008640x220.jpg

This has now been test fitted into the gun bay and it fits superbly. I get more and more impressed with the quality and fit of this model the more I build.

IMG_0011640x427.jpg

I test fitted the seat and instrument panel and the following are shots of it from various angles. I love how easy it is to remove the seat and instrument panel if one wishes to do that. It makes testing the fit extremely easy.

IMG_0015_1640x427.jpg

IMG_0016_1640x427.jpg

IMG_0017_1311x640.jpg

IMG_0019640x386.jpg

IMG_0021640x335.jpg

I shall continue on with the end now being in sight, however distant that may be. I was intending to do some more spraying today however the weather outside is like a football team after a drunken night at an Indian restaurant having eaten a dodgy vindaloo - extremely windy. Spraying will have to wait.

Until later.

Monty

Greetings on this last day of 2012.

A bit more completed on this build and getting nearer to completion. I think.

The nose cone is sprayed and ready to be attached which will be done on completion of the aircraft.

IMG_0008640x427-1.jpg

The nose landing gear cover has been embellished and is also ready for attaching to the body. The landing lights have also been added.

IMG_0007640x307.jpg

Lights on either side have been painted and attached to the fuselage. Those bottles of clear red and green will last a lifetime given how little is used.

IMG_0006640x427-3.jpg

IMG_0005640x427.jpg

The HARM targeting pod is done

IMG_0004640x188.jpg

Pylons have been painted and await the weapons of mass destruction. I am not sure if I will use the fuel tanks or just use the stations to bomb this up. I do like to see a full load and I am thinking of going overboard and doing a load that the great John Holmes and his counterpart, Ron Jeremy, would be proud of. Usually I am not indecisive it is just that I can't decide which way to go. I guess it is like trying to decide either to pot the pink or brown during a good session with one's memsahib ! Decisions, decisions, decisions !

IMG_0003640x319.jpg

The canopy has been sprayed wih the help of the excellent masking tape template provided in the kit. It would be wonderful if every kit came with this provision as it certainly makes life easier when this task needs attention. Got to hand it to Tamiya for thinking of it.

IMG_0002640x201.jpg

The vertical fin has had the decals applied. This took quite a bit of time to complete and was as fiddly as Boy George at a boys' boarding school. I think it looks quite acceptable. In keeping with the Tiger Meet theme, I have added some tiger stripes to it. I appreciate there has probably never been a scheme done like this but I like to be different, in deference to the prototypical modellers out there.

IMG_0001640x324.jpg

Apart from the weapons, most of the aircraft is complete and I just need to assemble it together. The issue is whether I do the decals next or assemble it and then do the decals.

Anyway, must go and have a few chukkas out in the field and then perhaps have a rollicking good session of beating the hired help and perhaps the memsahib as well. One might have to postpone the leopard hunt as the mahoot has still not recovered from the rogering he recently received. A large night of frivolities is in store later tonight to see in the New Year and then perhaps some more work on the beast will commence in 2013.

May you all have a wonderful evening and a tremendous 2013.

Now just where is the G & T? Might as well kick things off early !

Regards,

Monty

Happy New Year to all.

Phase 1 of the main decal work has been completed since my last communique. I decided to be a bit different and do this monumental model in a tiger stripe scheme. I appreciate the prototypical experts out there will be seething that I could take a massive liberty and do this according to my whim however I do like being different and embellishing can sometimes work. I hope this one does.

First shot is the top of the fuselage and wings.

IMG_0001555x640.jpg

Some flap markings. Who amongst us does not like working with flaps? I guess perhaps Rock Hudson, Elton John et al fall into that category.

IMG_0002640x212.jpg

The rear engine cover and stabilizers have also had a bit of work on them.

IMG_0003640x456.jpg

The body has also had a bit done to it and here are the two sides of it.

IMG_0004640x235.jpg

IMG_0005640x241.jpg

The next phase will be to complete all the other decals and there are many of them. I am hoping to put a massive dent into completing them by the end of today or by tomorrow.

Once that is done, I shall then assemble the aircraft which won't take long as it has test fitted brilliantly so not much required in terms of glue.

When that is done, I shall get to work on doing the weapons and getting them painted and assembled. Following that, there will be the decal work required on the weapons which is normally time consuming depending on how many weapons are used.

I am hoping to get all this done in the next week inbetween work and whatever else my memsahib commands me to do around the house.

Until next time, this is Monty signing off.