Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hi there,

but before I start tinkering these details to my so laboriously bent Firex-line, I tried different things in advance as a precaution, so there are no nasty surprises. rolleyes.gif

This concerned initially once the pre-drilling of the pipe and glue the spray nozzles. And when handling this specimen it actually came to feared kinking at one point that was drilled through. shocked.gif

OYoasD.jpg

That is why I again drilled in the next experiments only with a few turns and this time tried yet to gentleman's parts up the nozzle ends after gluing slightly. This is a bit tricky because of the danger of breakage and also risky, but it worked for these two nozzles. cool.gif

VOIAWz.jpg

Then still a couple of adhesive experiments with MEK, right with pre-drilling, and left without, so just put the profile and painted at the foot with MEK.

qyYca4.jpg

While this holds first, as you can see, the adhesive contact is not yet stable enough to manipulate on the part, and gave up his spirit. huh.gif

Then I made up my mind, the two lateral nozzle behind the first bend, which are angled twice,

up045165.jpg

Source: NASA

Then I made up my mind the two lateral nozzles behind the first bend, which are angled twice, and have this first bent only normal, without hot air. Because they're so beautiful thin, I thought that maybe would be enough.

xAI5Q0.jpg

But after some time (30 min.) the nozzle had again bent back slightly. rolleyes.gif

bzmuRH.jpg

Consequently, you have to help out more with hot air even when bending these thin profiles.

i8CVkB.jpg

Next, I tried the support to a waste line, for which I have used Evergreen Strips (0,38x0,75 mm). For that I have short strips (each with slightly supernatant) initially glued under the line,

2oonks.jpg

then also from behind,

2dIjWn.jpg

and finally separated the supernatants.

LVQyHn.jpg

Finally, I have glued even a clamping ring made of lead wire (0.3 mm) between the two supports, which is however hardly recognizable.

XCqROc.jpg

That would be something like the procedure, what I would have to perform well at my Firex-line a number of times. But in hindsight, I think that it will be more favorable from the assembly process when I first glue all supports, then after that the holes are pre-drilled and the last nozzle glued. gruebel.gif Because the few nozzles already were standing in the way during sticking of the supports and cutting off the supernatants. rolleyes.gif

And in the same way the supports and the nozzles will be mounted on the front two branch lines. However, I'm still thinking if I previously glue these lines to the main line, or after gluing the front supports and nozzles, but probably the latter.

The final gluing of the entire line with all the bits and pieces around the SSME hole only can happen little by little, and support for support, and is likely to become probably quite stressful. gr_hail.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847
  • Like 1

Hi there,

so, today I will continue with the front two branch lines, the assembly process I have specified once more. rolleyes.gif Now I want to build the branch lines with the supports and nozzles separately and then mount on the main line, and finally all should be painted together. cool.gif

In addition I have been a little bit experimenting with the structure of the supports. The supports are sitting on a base plate that is bolted to the Blast Shield, and support the tube only on the outside, as you can see in this picture.

sfexbj.jpg

And this structure, I have tried to replicate in different versions in which the difficulty is that the parts are only in the millimeter range. shocked.gif

These are the two branch lines (1.2 mm diameter) with the mark for the supports.

blDZAu.jpg

For the base plates Evergreen Strips 1,0x0,25 mm are used again with sufficient supernatants to facilitate further assembly.

TRgGc9.jpg

And these are my first test with 1 mm "long" profile stubs, applied on the outside of the line, from left to right:

0,5x0,5 mm, 0,75x0,75 mm, and 0,38x0,75 mm.

epB949.jpg

For another test I have made a T-beam and glued a strip 0,5x0,5 mm on a strip 0,25x0,75 mm.

XWfNJA.jpg

Of this I have removed a 1 mm stub, shocked.gif

2aPtHp.jpg

thus expanding my test series.

a0Di1x.jpg

Since the differences in white plastic are hardly visible, I have the line painted provisionally gray, whereby you can see the contours better.

1KuStN.jpg

Here is the legend about this:

1: 0,5x0,5 mm

2: T-beam, foot 0,5x0,5 mm on 0,25x0,75 mm

3: T-beam, foot 0,25x0,5 mm on 0,25x0,75 mm

4: 0,75x0,75 mm

5: 0,38x0,75 mm

6: 0,5x0,75 mm

Now I just have to decide, but even though I might almost exclude the composite T-beams as this seems to be too much affectation that the effort not worth it. rolleyes.gif

What do you think? undecided.gif

Thanks Rich,

Hey Guys,
and because I love this tricky details so, I have dared and decided for this T-shaped pipe supports on the Firex-line
2jXpnD.jpg
and therefore measured the geometry on the basis of the close-up image again in more detail. rolleyes.gif
23Yqcs.jpg
Then I've made a new T-beam by gluing an Evergreen Strip 0,5x0,5 mm on a handcarved Styrene Strip 0,2x0,7 mm, from which I carefully have tapped off 1 mm "long" stubs. That worked still relatively good, but the gluing of these midgets was then nothing for the faint hearted and succeded only with bated breath between two heartbeats. omgsign.gif
863G0o.jpg
After that, the supernatants were still tapped off, and the branch line was completed, ie almost, because the Nozzles are missing still, but also will come. cool.gif
hiUzl2.jpg
And then I wanted to have a look on this line on the MLP and am more than satisfied with the result. icon_thumb.gif
QHNioO.jpg
wb5bXw.jpg
But now I have to get some fresh air for now. n060.gif

Hi there,

today I will continue. cool.gif

At the branch line in front of the LH2 TSM still missing the spray nozzles. For that I have used the thinnest Evergreen rods Ø 0.5 mm and sharpened the front slightly. And on this occasion I have mounted the clamping ring of 0.4 mm lead wire at the end.

Then I carefully pre-drilled the holes, then plugged in the nozzle stubs and glued with MEK.

cAukgn.jpg

Euavdn.jpg

And so does the environment around the SSME shaft around slowly take form. happy.gif

dULUg3.jpg

20WZyx.jpg

So far so good, and so as not to come only out of practice, I have done the supports of the other branch pipe in front of the LOX TSM in the same way, as usual.

WeCTdF.jpg

7iMcjo.jpg

Now missing only the four nozzles,

oi0IPP.jpg

a2Jq1j.jpg

Now missing only the four Nozzles, and then it goes on to the rear main line with the local supports and nozzles. icon_thumb.gif

Somehow these small stuff is pretty stressful, flehan.gif but that uses all nothing, needs must. n060.gif

Edited by roma847

Hello guys,

and thus continue on the back of the Firex main pipe where there are similarly structured supports and a lot of nozzles. The difference can be seen well on the next two panorama pictures, although you have to look closely.

NEkb3S.jpg

The base plate is screwed just at the end on the Blast Shield, the front is significantly narrower and the rear supernatant is minimal.

up044685.jpg

Consequently, my supports look somewhat different from the front and consist of three parts. For the substructure I've composed a Styrene Strip 0,25x1,0 mm (length) and a strip 0,25x0,75 mm (short) and glued with MEK.

ifRpvh.jpg

Now we continue on the template where I first marked on the line the numbered positions of the nozzles. The ten red marks indicate the location of the supports, the green belong to the clamping rings.

MtSTeX.jpg

Then I lined up the lower parts and fixed with tape and glued the vertically standing buttocks (0,38x0,75 mm).

8BpWyc.jpg

Ug61Yc.jpg

This angles, I then placed under the line to the red points and glued with MEK, initially in the right half,

DrfSKM.jpg

k1yxUo.jpg

and after re-clamping in the left half.

VXi04y.jpg

0gskSZ.jpg

And now also the supernatants can be tapped off,

lKP2ZO.jpg

first the parts in front of the line,

3FmoLE.jpg

and then behind them.

QksJ4s.jpg

And so have already done the ten supports. 40.gif

IhZhPa.jpg

And as you can see, it all fits together well and still does not look bad.

iBsg7Q.jpg

9jByhu.jpg

And tomorrow it will become funny, then the tension rings and the remaining nozzles are waiting for me. n060.gif

Hi there,

first I have to add the nozzles on the branch line in front of the LOX TSM, with which the two branch lines are now complete. cool.gif

Jryjs1.jpg

Then, as already announced, now to the clamping rings I've bent of 0.3 mm lead wire. On the back of the Firex main line there are six of them, two of them sit in the middle, next to the two single supports,

5jTbSi.jpg

and the other four between the support pairs.

obi10t.jpg

Then I pre-drilled the holes for the nozzles (Ø 0,5 mm). Since one can easily slip during drilling on the thin line (1.2 mm diameter) but that line was fixed again in a proven manner.

PsqqHw.jpg

And then I started with the nozzles which have been seen more often.

up045165.jpg

These are first of all the 12 about 3 mm long stubs on the back of the line, which are aligned obliquely forward towards the orbiter, and the three longer angled branches respectively right and left at the end behind the bows, and in the middle.

And even on these thin nozzle pipes there are clamping rings. rolleyes.gif

3wG2h6.jpg

And the two angled nozzles in the last picture are sitting at this point here, where the space probably should be very narrow. shocked.gif

4XRVn8.jpg

And as you can see, behind this nozzle there is also a small support with a holding ring and a further clamping ring, and these things were then also still done. icon_thumb.gif

Since there are also such clamping rings in front of the TSMs, these were also done.

JouUmJ.jpg

LYynLo.jpg

And after that I tried on this angled nozzles,

E4DD0S.jpg

and glued together with the three nozzle pipes with MEK.

lM0Ltf.jpg

And now to the nozzle stubs,

h7SChd.jpg

whereby the insertion of these tiny parts with the tweezers into the holes was extremely stressful, expl.gif

em82QB.jpg

which has not always worked right away.

But finally all 25 nozzles were then installed, and the sight of this bizarre structure will be quite impressive, I think. :speak_cool:

uj5CIZ.jpg

Ec5xnQ.jpg

And for today as a crowning finale the picture with two TSMs which compensates for all effort. 40.gif

AmgN1e.jpg

That's it for today. n060.gif

Edited by roma847
  • Like 4

Thanks for your nice compliment, :worthy:

this Firex line with its tiny supports and nozzles was a crazy stuff, gr_hail.gif but the effort was worth it and I'm very happy with the result so far. n060.gif

Hi there,

the question of the space for the SSWS line above the angled nozzles but has left me no rest, so I had to check out right now of its dimensions. rolleyes.gif

Here you can see this place. For the thick ring line (24''), coming from the left, I will use a rod with Ø 4,0 mm. The tubular transition then has Ø 2,5 mm and tapers in front of the TSM to Ø 1,8 mm, where are sitting further eight nozzles. shocked.gif

8zcC2g.jpg

And here I have tried with such a profile Ø 1,8 mm if that still will fit through the gap under the ladder and behind the angled nozzle,

qjsKXX.jpg

and it fits actually what now makes me feel relieved and confident. cool.gif

I sure am enjoying watching this Manfred! I have need of some small water lines just like this, for my Revell Mercury launch pad kit "Everything is Go" Thanks for the clinic Doc!

Hi together,

so, let's go to at last thicker SSWS pipes and the associated supports. cool.gif

For this I can initially resort to my erstwhile pull-ups before the conversion of the SRB holes when I had started already with the SSWS. rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, I can forget my former pipes (1:160) as they are a little too narrow and too short for the 1:144 holes. angry.gif

n0thuO.jpg

In the following general layout drawing the position of the pipe supports of the 24'' line (Ø 4,0 mm) is marked, and there are respectively 18 supports around each SRB hole. shocked.gif

up028422.jpg

At the green marked points 14 supports are located with closing clamp bands to replace these line segments as needed or to service, as can be seen in the next picture.

The remaining 4 supports on the red marked points having no such clamp bands. When evaluating the photographic material I have discovered some supports (1, 3, 8, 12, 14) and supplemented, which are missing in the drawing. huh.gif

v0dgHM.jpg

Source: NASA (Streetview)

Furthermore, it should be noted that all supports are standing on the MLP deck, while no. 10, 11 and 12 are on the Blast Shield. Accordingly, these supports have a shorter foot and also slightly different structure.

BQprCy.jpg

As has been shown in a previous post (#365), the 24'' pipe (Ø 4,0 mm) behind the support 1 tapers to 14'' (Ø 2,5 mm) which is why the local support has a special structure too.

JbcAUq.jpg

All remaining supports have otherwise the same structure as it is clearly seen here.

up028421.jpg

Such support I had at that time already been scratched, I actually had quite liked,

up028426.jpg

but from today's perspective the dimensions (L=5.0 mm, W=3.2 mm), and in particular its clear height (4.0 mm) seem to be a bit too large. rolleyes.gif

And with that problems in determining the scaled dimensions inevitably reveal, which unfortunately is often difficult due to perspective distortion of reference photos.

In David Maier's Paper kit these supports are unfortunately only hinted, whereat the clear heights of 2.5 mm respectively 1.5 mm appears to be too low.

up028323.jpg

Consequently, I made again a lot of measurements and estimates based on different images and perspectives lupe.gif and now I tend to a clearance of 3.5 mm on the deck, respectively 2.0 mm on the SRB Blast Shields, that are 1.5mm high with me. icon_thumb.gif

This arrangement I have now simulated with my old pipe in a test, for this I have used provisional support dummies of corresponding height. And in order to see how and to what height the line arrives at the inner corner of the TSM, I have provisionally glued the two tapers at the front end.

Q7s2Al.jpg

YPTsFa.jpg

As this support arrangement actually fits quite well and I also like the look, I will now try to scratch build two matching support patterns. n060.gif

• Like 1

Still always amazed at your ability to locate just the correct photos for your current build section. It's like you were there to take the reference photos in person!

Thanks James for your nice words. up040576.gif

Hi Rich,

yep, good reference photos you need necessarily, if you want to scratch build those special details. :yikes:

But then comes the much more difficult part of the exercise if you want to build all this crazy stuff, because it requires the dimensions of the parts. And this is an extremely difficult and time-consuming chapter, because I do not have such beautiful templates as you. whistle.gif

But so far I have always found a fitting solution and I hope that this remains so, I'm not finished yet. n060.gif

Edited by roma847

Hello together,
on the problems arising from the perspective distortions of the images when determining the dimensions of the items needed for the supports I had already pointed out. rolleyes.gif
As an illustration, I have this image of the thick 24'' pipe whose diameter (4 mm) usually was the reference value for the conversion to the model scale.
NY8oS8.jpg
BTW, the estimation of the clear height especially had given me a lot headache, but that is important, especially since it is identical to the height of the support. huh.gif
As you can see here, the clear height should then be roughly equivalent to the pipe diameter, or about 4 mm. Because the evaluation of other photos from different perspectives with better resolution but gave predominantly smaller values by 3 mm, I'd at the end spoiled for choice and had to decide. And as already mentioned, I have now committed myself to 3.5 mm respectively 2.0 mm. icon_thumb.gif

ZbVqlS.jpg
And so now, but the actual work. cool.gif
For the most frequently occurring support (Type 1) next to the thick 24'' ring line I've been thinking about the following structure, which consists of five elements on which I've fiddled for a while. Therefore, at first I was interested to see whether this structure would be realizeable at all. gruebel.gif
xU3uW6.jpg
As a basic element (1) I will this time use an Evergreen channel (2,5x1,1 mm), and for the two crescent-shaped supports (2) and the base plate (3) Styrene (0,25 mm). The foot consists of two parts, the upper part (5) is a jewelry pearl (Ø 1,3x1,2 mm) and the lower part (4) a Styrene disk (Ø 1,5 mm). cool.gif
While the elements of the lower part (1, 3, 4, 5) should guarantee a uniform height, it will in particular depend on how to achieve the small crescent supports possibly with precise curves and always with the same height, so that all 30 supports at the end are also the same height. rolleyes.gif And these sickles I'll punch with my Punch & Die Set, the maximum diameter accidentally is 4 mm. :speak_cool:
FB65rD.jpg
Although on the reference photos everything looks relatively large in the measurement and scaling, at the end there are but rather small parts. And from the punched sickle remains at the required height and width also not much left. shocked.gif
The uniform spacing of these crescents results from the fact that they are glued on both sides with MEK to a Styrene Strip (0,25x1,5 mm), which is then glued to the Evergreen Channel what I have previously tried it out with two test strips.
And so here are the necessary parts. To assemble the foot parts I've been thinking about, to thread them on a pin through a centering bore and then to glue in order to ensure a uniform alignment. icon_thumb.gif
N7a4z9.jpg
FIC3Uj.jpg
After alignment and fixation the items of the upper part gluing was made again with MEK, which has really proven for such mini-contacts. cool.gif
qn6gIQ.jpg
The gluing of the foot parts, however, is a little more difficult, since the glass bead must be carefully glued with CA, but this can remain unfortunately also stick to the needle. gr_hail.gif
MHd1Q3.jpg
jSxI6P.jpg
This has also so far worked, so I was initially glad in view of the feasibility of construction. 40.gif
6voL05.jpg
After detailed contemplation of my respectable result but I have decided to enlarge the disks on the base plate to 1.7 mm in diameter (left), what should better fit into the picture. ja.gif
wdqJBb.jpg
But my joy did not last long unfortunately, because in the next handles the support disintegrated again in two parts. expl.gif
fQAiiu.jpg
So I had to think about another solution instead of the CA gluing, which has been obvious actually. rolleyes.gif For why should I not stay with the MEK gluing and use a Styrene rod Ø 0,5 mm as a centering aid, which could remain in the support? undecided.gif Why did I come not immediately to this solution ... doh.gif
And so one of the Nozzles has offered itself that was still close. up035091.gif
O6I7Mq.jpg
No sooner said than done, this little rod I first glued into the upper part, then strung the lower part and glued,
QTobqZ.jpg
then only separated the rest under the base plate, and the case was settled. :speak_cool:
A0fK5S.jpg
And this support is now hopefully more stable and can withstand a little more. n060.gif

Hey Kallisti,

thanks for your interest and staying tuned. :worthy:

As you can see in this picture, there are 15 supports of Type 1 for each SRB hole, which are standing on the MLP deck, so 30 in total,

up028422.jpg

and in each case 3 supports of this Type 2 (no. 10-12), which are standing on the SRB Blast Shields, so 6 in total. icon_thumb.gif

up046093.jpg

So this is all in all still manageable and doable. :yikes:

BTW, there are still some other supports at the thinner pipes, but more on that later. n060.gif

Nice solution with the little beads. More found objects, I like. Type 1, and type 2 supports appear to be generally, the same shape, just different heights. With that many supports to build it's time for mass production. Keep up the great job!

I understand about photo distortion also. I have been researching photos of complex 14 launch pad (Mercury 9) and old photos are not the best to work with. sometimes with smaller scales I have to just "wing it", and use what looks good.

Yours always looks good tho, now back to the grind.