Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Thanks Kirk for the very impressive video, :worthy:

whereby especially the first sequences

gpGBjR.jpg

remind me of my very intensive work with lots of crazy details eek.gif while scratching the SSWS pipes, a longer time ago ... up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

up057287.jpg

• Like 3

Hello everybody,

well, the same (art)break as every year, and the longer it lasts, the harder it is to get back in ... rolleyes.gif 

But nevertheless it should go on, and that's why: Go right ahead! andiearbeit.gif

For the masking of the connection areas of the ET Attachments before the Flour process, one interface is still missing, and that is the one between the ET Vertical Struts and the SRB Aft Attach Struts

up063962.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

which were unfortunately not taken into account in both the Airfix Kit and Newware Kit, which results in this gap, which of course should not exist there.  nono.gif 

otQJCY.jpg

Via the local cable connections running in the Cable tray and through the Upper Strut, u.a. the ignition of the SRB Separation Motors took place, which initiated the separation from the ET after the burnout of the Boosters. speak_cool.gif

As one can see from the following image, the round cladding of the Upper Strut cannot be overlooked, 

up068264.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)

and is not nearly just a puny thing like at the dainty Airfix Strut, smiley_worship.gif

891e9p.jpg

which can also be seen in this photo by Steve Patlan

423800488_9266b42fe7_b.jpg
Source: live.staticflickr.com (Steve Patlan)

who was close to the action at the time and has great photos in his albums.  up045518.gif 

422654707_92904a6232_b.jpg
Source: live.staticflickr.com (Steve Patlan)

This comparison inspired me to show these details at the interface in a more real way, whereby I was starting with the cladding of the Upper Strut. But since I had already glued the struts at the right SRB, I've taken the struts of the left SRB and first removed the annoying bobble. cool.gif

WELBX2.jpg

Then I've drilled off a Styrene Rod (Ø 3 mm) step by step up to Ø 1,4 mm,

K5i2Ia.jpg

so that a separated sleeve of it could be pushed over the strut. In between there was placed a punched disc (0,25 mm, Ø 3,4 mm), 

j35cuz.jpg

which then was glued together with the sleeve on the strut, which already looks more similar to the original strut. cool.gif 

hgzfES.jpg

nyHFFT.jpg 

The  same procedure I will now carry out on the right SRB Strut, for what I will carefully separate it off the booster. huh.gif

And now once again to the connecting cable tray between ET and SRB Attach Ring, for what I once again did use this overseeable photo of the ET-32 ( STS-32) by George Gassaway, what I've turned by 90° for better orientation, from which I've also determined the dimensions (in mm) of the individual details. top.gif

Therein one can also see well the green drawn TPS Cladding, which lies in front of the Cable Trays like an oblique ramp and should have a similar protective function like those of the elongated LH2/LO2 PAL Ramps in front of the cable trays in the middle and front tank area. 

htrGXu.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

With these dimensions I have drawn this sketch (1:1),

F9kShR.jpg

which I then have put onto the interface to try on, with which I can mark the masking areas on the ET.

gllWrL.jpg

The remaining dimensions for scratching the parts I've determined from this side view,

G8whQj.jpg

wherewith again a further small step was done.  up040577.gif

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

in silent memory of January 28, 1986 I would like to commemorate the tragic 25th Space shuttle mission and the tenth and last flight of the Space shuttle Challenger, which broke 73 seconds after launch ... 

467px-Challenger_Rocket_Booster_-_GPN-20
Source: wikipedia.org

It was the first launch of a space shuttle from the new Launch pad Pad 39B, in the construction of which my friend James MacLaren was instrumental, to what all employees had been proudly looking forward to. All the greater were their disappointment and sadness that the first launch from the new pad ended in such a tragic way.

It was the worst accident in US space history by that time, in which all seven astronauts were killed, 

750px-Challenger_flight_51-l_crew.jpg

Front row (L-R): Michael Smith, Francis Scobee, Ronald McNair;
Back row (L-R): Ellison Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik
Source: wikipedia.org

but seven new stars were born!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

don't panic friends, analintruder.gif after a somewhat longer break it should finally go on. cool.gif

In the meantime, the second SRB Upper Strut (right) has also been modified by the thicker sleeve, but the strut, unfortunately, could not be removed from the bonding without being damaged and therefore has to be lengthened somewhat, so that the distance of the booster from the ET is correct. rolleyes.gif

LYp4yX.jpg

For the test fitting onto the ET, I was able to use it like this for the time being. Then I've marked the contours for the Longerons and Cable Trays, incl. TPS cladding,

RMwkqy.jpg

BQPa97.jpg

and then taped them off with masking tape so that I can expose the adhesive surfaces again after the flouring and priming/painting. up045518.gif

PtJS9D.jpg

Ca8249.jpg

Then I took a closer look at and measured the SRB front parts (SRB Forward Skirts) from the Newware Kit, the surface of which is surprisingly finely structured and therefore looks much more real than that smooth from Airfix

clBAoy.jpg

whereby they come pretty close to the original.  speak_cool.gif

DFDZA2.jpg
Source: NASA

Since the Newware Kit is specially designed for the Revell Shuttle Stack, the question arose whether the SRB Forward Skirts would also match the Airfix-SRBs. smiley215.gif But since the diameters of the SRBs of both kits are surprisingly the same (Ø 26 mm), I was relieved and have carefully cut off the front part with the fine saw. huh.gif

Hve3Hh.jpg

3MO8nW.jpg

And lo and behold, the Newware Forward Skirt makes a good match with the Airfix booster yahoo.gif

cJ7T7B.jpg

Now I just have to drill the hole for the brass support rod in the right place and take care that the drill does not run away in the Resin part. smiley232.gif

jM4ZPt.jpg

So I'm still trying to figure out how to do it best ... are there any thoughts?   hmmm.gif

We will see ... up040577.gif

• Like 5

Good to see you back at work, Manfred.

I have no "tried and tested" suggestions for the drilling, but it seems to me that you need to be able to mount the resin in a jig so that it won't move and then drill the hole using a vertical drill stand. Perhaps 2mm styrene sheet or even foam board would do for a jig? A cut out when the pipe duct fits would stop if from rotating. I'm sure your eventual solution will be more elegant than this.

Thanks Kirk, bow.gif

to hold the resin Forward Skirt in a jig or a vice, so that it won't move, is the way to go. top.gif The problem is only the vertical guidance of the drill by hand, without a  suitable drill stand. hmmm.gif

Hello everybody,

I actually don't need to drill 25 mm deep holes, because 5 - 10 mm should also be enough if I shorten the  brass support rod on both sides accordingly. Therewith the boosters' forward attachment point should be fixed sufficiently and, together with the rear SRB Aft Attach Struts, ensure a stable three-point support of the boosters. top.gif

This is this circled wedge-shaped Fastening part (SRB/ET Forward Attach Fitting) between the ET and the SRB, in each of which is a Separation Bolt, which is blown up together with similar bolts in the rear SRB struts when the SRBs are separated from the ET and thus releases the booster.  speak_cool.gif

SHyZZd.jpg

7ewsP5.jpg
Source: Marshall Space Flight Center, Space Transportation System HEAR No. TX-116

As one can see in this image, this fastening wedge is in place on the Airfix booster, but it is missing on the Newware SRB Forward Skirt, what in turn proves that apparently no kit is perfect. rolleyes.gif

TaVwAk.jpg

Therefore I will scratch this wedge-shaped part and glue it to the attachment point behind the drilled hole for the support rod, with which the attached booster will be glued onto the ET, which should ensure a sufficient hold. top2.gif

And these 5 - 10 mm deep drilled holes should be carried out by hand with the appropriate caution and care, I hope so. up040577.gif

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

and thus to my test bores in order to test whether the minimum depth of approx. 5 - 10 mm could be achieved by hand with an appropriate caution and care. smiley215.gif

Since my Dremel is already nearly 10 years old, I wanted to test it once again in the associated drill stand, although I had doubts whether the lowest speed of 10.000 rpm already would be overkill and too risky.  hmmm.gif 

That's why I started by doing some manual tests true to the motto Better safe than sorry!.  For this I have clamped a Resin strip in my Mini vice and started turning the Dremel-chuck with a drill Ø 1,3 mm in the Dremel-stand with the left hand , while at the same time I've soulfully forced down the lifting rod with my right hand, which was not so easy.  analintruder.gif

QFqRzi.jpg

While the orthogonality of the bore in longitudinal direction was acceptable, huh.gif

G2G3XU.jpg

it left something to be desired in the transverse direction, rolleyes.gif 

Ry2wb7.jpg

which is why I was not completely convinced of this hand-drilling variant. nono.gif

Therefore, in a second series of tests with the Dremel in the drill stand I have drilled at the lowest speed (10.000 rpm) in a Chipboard with Ø 1,3 mm,  

K5Q4zZ.jpg

what went smoothly. cool.gif

7A8KMD.jpg

Then I've drilled with Ø 1,4 mm and then took a look at the orthogonality of the bore in the longitudinal and transverse directions, which looked surprisingly good at least over the minimum length.  speak_cool.gif

WeVsSE.jpg

ilCknc.jpg

Then I've drilled with the diameter of the SRB support rod (Ø 1,5 mm) and tested again in both directions, whereby the orthogonality was still unchanged good.

uRhLRx.jpg

dVQlLh.jpg

And the support rod also fit well into the bore, which was about 15 mm deep, which should be sufficient for the stable fixation of the boosters in my opinion, whereby I still could then drill a bit deeper with a Mini hand drill.  top.gif

dBX8dc.jpg

Axi0pP.jpg

So I could now venture on the bore of the two SRB Forward Skirts from the Newware Kit, whereby in addition to a stable support in a corresponding holder, especially the skirts have to be precisely aligned so that their bores are in line with the support rod. up040577.gif

• Like 4

Hello everybody,

so far so good. cool.gif

Next, I've determined the position of the base point for the bore of the Support rod, which was not so easy, because it could not be marked in the narrow space, which is why I had to improvise a little bit with masking tapes. huh.gif

LW54Hi.jpg

The next problem was the necessary level support of the part as a prerequisite for an exact drilling, which was also not easy due to the disruptive Systems Tunnel at the bottom, which is why an exact clamping in the vice was rather difficult. smiley_worship.gif

9Ptrmw.jpg

That's why I clamped a brass angle for orientation in the Z-direction

ndltcH.jpg

and aligned the center line on the back of the part as good as possible parallelly.  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Du7Bpf.jpg

For the alignment in the X-direction I oriented myself on the upper edge of the vice. huh.gif

fm7CMP.jpg

For better orientation here one can see the Orbiter vehicle coordinate system.  top2.gif

CAmYX0.jpg
Source: Marshall Space Flight Center, Space Transportation System HEAR No. TX-116

And in this position I will try now drilling the hole, again step by step, carefully pre-drilling with Ø 1,3 mm, and then drilling out with Ø 1,4 mm and Ø 1,5 mm. top.gif

Hopefully I can do this successfully, so please keep your fingers crossed!  JC_doubleup.gif

• Like 4

Hello everybody,

but there is also a more precise method to mark the bore point on the SRB Forward Skirt. To do this, I colored the front face of the holding rod with ink and then placed it on the ET's Intertank, which allows a contact line to be marked. The more precise point for the bore results at the intersection of this line with the longitudinal engraving on the skirt. speak_cool.gif

That's why I applied this method also still at the right SRB skirt with the tapes, the result of which can be seen here. 

al8VuF.jpg

The more precise point is therefore a littele bit further ahead. up040577.gif

• Like 3

Hello everybody,

and therefore: Nothing ventured, nothing gained! - Let's get on with it! top.gif

Before with drilling it could really come down to business, the vice onto the drill stand was carefully aligned so that the drill came to stand directly over the pre-drilled hole, whereupon this arrangement was then firmly fixed to the table top with a screw clamp. 

M3CCXy.jpg

AI98nz.jpg

Then, as with the test bores, the holes were drilled step by step, first carefully pre-drilled with Ø 1,3 mm, after which this bore was then drilled out with Ø 1,4 mm and Ø 1,5 mm to a depth approx. of 20 mm. up045518.gif

And as the following two images show, the orthogonality was surprisingly good in both directions. speak_cool.gif

pxbnVb.jpg

iYzbVr.jpg

Then the front part was inserted into the booster and with the bore put onto the Support rod in the Intertank, as well as put down with the two rear struts above the openings at the ET's rear, 

q6Um2c.jpg

whose feet had to slightly ground until they fit in the openings. cool.gif

oitM0M.jpg

At the front end a Balsa board (2 mm) was inserted as a spacer, 

IO4TSD.jpg

ebjMc8.jpg

since the already mentioned SRB Thrust Fitting has to be glued directly behind the support bar, which is unfortunately missing at the Newware front parts, rolleyes.gif

DaOTYk.jpg

which is why I have to scratch this part.  up040577.gif

• Like 3

Looks perfect.

Just as an aside, Manfred, am I right in understanding the Shuttle sits at a slight angle to the vertical just before takeoff and the torque of the (offset) main engines brings it vertical just before the SRBs are ignited? I don't know whether this is true, but since I was told this, it always looks that way to me on videos.

Thanks Kirk for your compliment. :worthy: The effort was worth it.

What you mean is a process NASA engineers call it "The Twang"up045518.gif This is because when the SSMEs ignit, the force of that thrust actually causes a movement of the upper part of the ET backward by up to one metre, and it takes sevral seconds for it to swing back to vertical. The SRB ignition happens just at that moment when the stack is back in the upright again. up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody,

the same drilling procedure I have now carried out with the right SRB front part, which has been similarly good and successful. top.gif

And so I have now been able to attach both SRBs provisionally at the ET, what fits together quite well and also looks good, in my opinion.  top2.gif

leOdwr.jpg

TSAiB1.jpg

And since  there was nothing to be seen of the MLP for a long time, I took it out of the closet and put this ET-SRB-Troika on it. smiley250.gif

AV34nE.jpg

axBEKl.jpg

9f8rNc.jpg

1E9V4n.jpg

That should it be for today. up040577.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends,

unfortunately I was out of action for a while because my PC gave up the ghost, eek.gif  but my son has built me a new one so that it can go on. up040577.gif

Now that my new PC is running, it can finally continue on the Stack-construction sitecool.gif whereby it specifically concerns the front connection points between the ET and the SRBs, these are the so-called ET/SRB Forward Attach Fittings, one of which was already shown in this picture, whereby the cladding over this green segment is missing. huh.gif

up070746.jpg

Apparently, this is not just a cladding, because as one can see in this photo of the STS-6 Stack in the final state before the launch of the Challenger, there are two white boxes stacked over one another. Since this image shows the front of the stack facing the orbiter, the question immediately arises as to how this connection assembly may have looked on the back. smiley215.gif

VAATYg.jpg

To find out, I had to do a bit more research and have found this photo of the ET-121 after its separation from the Discovery (STS-114), that was the so-called Return To Flight Mission after the Columbia disaster (STS-107)

On that one can see on the underside, although a little small,  the part of the fitting that belongs to the ET. The rest of the part is therefore on the previously blown away Booster

123625main_s114e5070_high.jpg

The following photo montage shows how the two assemblies of the attachment fit together. 

pocmPq.jpg

Helpful for my understanding were these drawings of the Attach Fitting, on which the parts belonging to the ET are colored green and those of the SRB are blue, which are connected by the Separation Bolt

4QZw5W.jpg  1120733.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

Final clarity about the arrangement of the fitting on the front I then got through these two photos, cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif here in opened state without cladding (RSS Fairing)

ZuRDmC.jpg

and here with the gray cladding,

me5fGM.jpg
Source: spaceflight.nasa.gov                                                                                                                                          

which I then compared directly in this photo montage. top.gif

YNIFyw.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not have these photos available during the failure of my PC, which is why I've initially only orientated myself by the first photo at the beginning of the post that I had on my smartphone, but what unfortunately has led into the wrong direction when I began scratching the arrangement, rolleyes.gif  but what I still want to present to you.  huh.gif

When scratching this fitting, I had to consider the support rod for the SRBs and drill a respective boring.

For the two-part basic body of the fitting I've used a Rectangular profile (2 mm x 2,5 mm), which I rounded off at the front end to simulate the Bolt Catcher and drilled out for the holding rod with Ø 1,5 mm, as one can see in this image. 

xtKFUX.jpg

On this image one can see the assembly of such a Bolt Catcher, which catches the front part of the bolt that was blasted off when the booster was separated,

KSC-05PD-0383.jpg

whose honeycomb-like inner structure can be seen here in detail. speak_cool.gif 

KSC-05PD-0380.jpg

The individual parts of the ribbed back part I cut from an Evergreen Strip (0,25 mm x 2,0 mm),

kfWEpp.jpg

and then glued step by step with MEK onto the basic body laying on a Teflon foil.

q7o5vA.jpg

Gluing the tiny triangles was a pretty tricky task due to the minimal spacing, smiley_worship.gif

btjI3t.jpg

but has worked well thanks to my angelic patience and steady hand. top.gif

uMMozN.jpg

This was followed by the side attachment of the boxes on the front, which I could only reconstruct on the basis of my smartphone picture, rolleyes.gif

JnmzXk.jpg

what then looked like that. up045518.gif

H0LN8v.jpg

For modeling the arrangement on the back I've used this photo of the ET-45 (STS-47), although one can only guess it. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

47BACK-1.JPG

But I think that it can only be a simple cover, if one looks at this zoom shot,  

pBazwj.jpg

which is why I've chosen this simple form. cool.gif

4gE01a.jpg

And so the finished fitting sits on the SRB,

XDKML7.jpg

and that's how the whole thing looked with the attached SRB onto the ET, actually not bad, right? top2.gif

7Sgv6o.jpg

But now I'm a bit smarter idea1_2.gif and know that the two boxes on the front are not sitting next to each other but have to sit one above the other, which is why I still have to change it once again, but be that as it may!  up040577.gif

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

today is an important historical date for my project, which I would like to honor with a brief review. cool.gif

37 years ago today, on 4 April 1983 took off from the Launch Pad 39A the Space shuttle Challenger for her maiden flight, the STS-6 Mission, to whom I have dedicated my long-term project. top2.gif

XNlvBl.jpg

And now back, here comes the next update. In the meantime I have modified the ET/SRB Forward Attach Fittings a little bit, so that the two boxes with the cabling are now arranged one below the other as in the original, as was already shown here.

up071115.jpg

Admittedly, this is only a small part of the entire Shuttle stack and can hardly be seen in the end, but if I am not completely convinced by the details, then I get to the bottom of the matter once more, something this time took longer because I've  researched some sources more exactly again. up035091.gif

And this is how the new part looks with the boxes arranged one below the other,

40Jtl6.jpg

and here again in direct comparison with the previous variant (left). 

j1f8HZ.jpg

Since the new prototype initially seemed a bit too big to me, rolleyes.gif I've reduced it a bit in a second variant (below),

wcMKDa.jpg

what one can see here. huh.gif

Wf9J1U.jpg

But after a detailed re-measurement based on the original photos, I still decided on the first, slightly larger version and made a copy of it for the other fitting. top.gif

cPgXlf.jpg

In the meantime I have also found a photo of the back of the fitting (left), which at first glance hardly differs from the front side (right) where the two boxes with the ET/SRB RSS cross-wiring were mounted.

kPFE5s.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com

On the back there are no additional attachments like on the front, but only the receptacle for screwing the Ground Handling Fitting for the transport of the ET, 

7PxRBj.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

which was probably covered with a cladding, which one can guess more on this picture than can see clearly,  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Uh1L1X.jpg

what I simulated by these tiny parts. top.gif

Ui85aR.jpg

And so these attachments sit opposite each other when installed on the SRBs.

CvPuPB.jpg

Ijgeme.jpg

VAzNcz.jpg

And this is how they look in the glued state, here is the view of the front of the ET, which is facing the orbiter,

S1td0m.jpg

and here's a look at the back.

6rUExb.jpg

And with that I wish everyone a nice Sunday, and above all, stay healthy. up040577.gif

• Like 5

Hello everybody,

unfortunately there are a few inconsistencies regarding the front and back of the ET/SRB Forward Attachment, which still seem suspicious to me. smiley215.gif

On the left during the Rollout of the ET-8 (STS-6) one can clearly see the FWD Hoisting Lug sitting on the "front side" of the ET and pointing up , and on the right, what also shows the ET-8 "front side" it looks like the arrangement with the ET/SRB RSS cross-wiring, strange ... hmmm.gif

That doesn't go together ... nono.gif

JZY8v1.jpg

The same arrangement can be seen in this photo from the STS-8,

dR4hc3.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Ares67)

as well as from the STS-9 too.

vUExL7.jpg

Both arrangements would correspond with that of the STS-6 (first image, right).

On the other hand, there are no holes on the FWD Hoisting Lug (right) for the assembly of the ET/SRB RSS cross-wiring boxes, which one can see in the left image.

kILQIz.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)                                                                      Source: live.staticflickr.com (S. Patlan)

But in this screenshot from a Pad 39A walkdown video taken during the STS-133 pad flow it can be seen that these ET/SRB wiring boxes (with a gray fairing) are not sitting on the "front" but on the "back" of the ET (the side that facing away from the orbiter). Now the expert is amazed, and the layperson wonders, right? smiley215.gif

QsBPvs.jpg

This view shows up at 2:36, here you go! smiley303.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-CCf8vExE

How does that fit together, or not, what do you think about it? smiley215.gif

Maybe someone here in the forum knows about this matter? up040577.gif

@roma847

WOW!

Looking at all of your work in progress photos, it's like going on a field trip to the blacksmith and watch the guy doing metalwork. It's impressive to see someone like you showing your work in progress photos. I can hardly wait to see the finished model kit. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.

Hello everybody,

in our German Raumcon Forum I received a tip about the "Space Shuttle Technical Conference" from 1985, the both parts of which I found on the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) smiley203.gif and have skimmed over Easter. Part 1 (227 MB) - Part 2 (198 MB) ... lesen1.gif

Unfortunately, I could not find any information in order to clarify the said discrepancies regarding the ET/SRB Forward Attachments, which I have noticed on some early missions' photos.  huh.gif

Regardless of this, one can find a wealth of interesting information in the conference contributions, which I have looked at here and there in more detail, provided that they did concern the ET and/or the SRBs and contained corresponding photos. top.gif

And so I'm among others came across a Term I had been tampering with for a while already without getting to the bottom of it ... smiley215.gif 

This is the term RSS Fairing, which was most recently used in this drawing of the Forward attachment. cool.gif

SrnGM2.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

The term Fairing as such was already familiar to me from the front fairings of the LO2 Feedline and the GH2 Press. Line on the Intertank.  

I was only irritated by the abbreviation RSS, which I'm of course familiar regarding the Rotating Service Structure, but wich has nothing to do with it. nono.gif

But as I have now learned from a conference contribution (EXTERNAL TANK PROCESSING FROM BARGE TO PAD), with RSS is meant the so-called Range Safety System, which I did not know so far, but which was of extraordinary importance as a safety system for all shuttle missions. top2.gif

And as it is often the case, I was so interested that I pursued this in a targeted manner and tried to find out more information about the task and function of the RSS. top.gif

With this is also related to the term ET/SRB RSS cross-wiring, which my friend DaveS from the NASA Spaceflight Forum mentioned during a lengthy PM chat, which only increased my curiosity. smiley215.gif

And with that we are right back to these white boxes on the "front" of the ET/SRB Forward Attachment,

up071282.jpg

which can be seen here both in the opened and in the cladded state, the upper half of which belongs to the ET and the lower half to the SRB. In the left image one can see the RSS cabling between the ET and the SRB for the STS-103.

up071120.jpg

The Space Shuttle's Range Safety System (RSS) thus enables the destruction of both the SRBs and the ET using on-board explosive charges (Linear Shaped Charge, LSC) by radio remote control from the ground station by the Range Safety Officer (RSO) in the event that the shuttle stack gets out of control to limit the danger to people and facilities on the ground from crashing pieces, explosions, fire, poisonous substances, etc. ... analintruder.gif

This drawing shows these LSCs on the ET/SRB, as well as the associated receiving antennas, the Range Safety Command Antennas

FKcdFe.jpg

The RSS was only connected to the LSCs, but not to the SRB separation system, which was wired separately. 

As I also know by DaveS, the RSS was cross-wired for security reasons, so that an error could not impair the ability to destroy the stack. The cross-wiring ran from the left SRB-RSS through the ET to the right SRB-RSS and vice versa. In this way, failure of one SRB's RSS cabling would not affect its ability to be destroyed, since the security cabling always was ran from the other SRB too. speak_cool.gif

The RSS was activated only once - during the Challenger disaster (STS-51-L), 37 seconds after the orbiter broke apart when the SRBs were in uncontrolled flight (Source: wikipedia.org).

And with that once again back to the above-mentioned discrepancies regarding the ET/SRB Forward Attachments.

up071282.jpg

These can only be explained by the fact that the RSS cross-cabling in the early missions was probably more done  on the "front" (-Z side) of the ET than on the "back" (+Z side).  hmmm.gif

So much for my little Easter walk for those interested. up040577.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

after a longer breather I want to get back in so that I can’t get out of the exercise. cool.gif 

Therefore I want to leave the SRBs for the time being and address myself to the ET to start preparing him for the Flour coating, wherefore I first have to glue the tape strips for simulating the SOFI Pattern texture both on the LH2 Tank and on the LO2 Tank

For this I can resort to my preliminary tests from last year, in which I used a 0,75 mm wide tape strip as a continuous spiral (Barber pole) onto the Airfix Intertank which is no longer required, 

up067819.jpg

up067822.jpg

which at the time looked like this after the Flour coating.

up067844.jpg

So I came very close to the pattern texture of the ET-8, whereby the final result should probably look even a bit better after priming and painting.  up045518.gif

up067839.jpg

As one could see at this image, the SOFI patterns on the ET Aft Dome are significantly wider than on the front part of the tank, which I wanted to take into account. top.gif

up063998.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

After taking a closer look at this structure once more, I decided to use 1,5 mm wide tape strips, of which I've then glued short strips on the Aft Dome at intervals of about ≤ 1 mm for testing. Before that, of course, I had removed my fragile Aft ET/Orbiter Attachment and put it in a box to safety. top.gif

wht9h6.jpg

On the front part there are glued the chosen 0,75 mm wide strips, at intervals of approx. 0,5 mm.

ByzKrI.jpg

ka8YTU.jpg

KVdQyH.jpg

So I could imagine that way. up040577.gif

What do you think about it? hmmm.gif

• Like 3