Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello everybody,

after the two ET/Orbiter Assemblies are now finally completed, there is always still a small line missing, and this is the so-called LH2 Recirculation Line (Ø 4''), which can be seen here on the ET-45 (STS-47). cool.gif

PXf0Jv.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

The line looks relatively simple and has a slight kink at both ends,

NMlU10.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

p6ALe6.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

in front of each time a Protective Shroud sits.  

He1Xff.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

And so plain and simple looks this part of the Airfix Kit, whereby the two Shrouds are missing, which is not the end of the world. rolleyes.gif

pK5lqX.jpg

First, I've tried it again with a Copper dummy (Ø 0,6 mm), and then I've tried to drill out a Rod ( Ø 1,2 mm) for the Shrouds stepwise in the center up to Ø 0,7 mm, which is not that easy with this diameter. huh.gif 

e9bNiP.jpg

After the temporary installation of the Dummy, which did not cause any problems,

z9t6JX.jpg

IeSaXT.jpg

I've then bent an Evergreen rod (Ø 0,7 mm) for the final line.

As already mentioned, drilling out can not be made immediately to the final inner diameter (Ø 0,7 mm), because the drill can slip too easily and does not stay in the center, therefore carefully step by step.  up045518.gif

8LNDdF.jpg

After that, I've cut off small 0,5 mm wide rings and had to find out that the bore had run eccentrically inwards, so unfortunately only the front ring could be used. rolleyes.gif

4kj9V2.jpg

Iid1vg.jpg

That's why I then drilled out only still 1 to 2 millimeters and then cut off the ring so as not to produce too much rejects. top.gif

4VOG3F.jpg

And that's how I actually managed to make three useable rings, 

afmL5o.jpg

and to thread them onto the rod, whereby the line looks significantly better than the Airfix cripple.  speak_cool.gif

37V3Oy.jpg

But when I kept the result of the test fitting in my sight,  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif I was a little disenchanted, because the line seemed a bit too puny compared to the LH2 Feedline, smiley_worship.gif

rsPznS.jpg

what I've remembered differently when seeing all the photos ... smiley215.gif

up068262.jpg
Source: NASA

And when I was brooding about it, idea1_2.gif suddenly it felled from my eyes like scales ...  yikes.gif 

Out of power of habit of recent weeks in intensive dealing with the GH2/GO2 Press. Lines, whose diameter is 2" (Ø 0,4 mm/1:144) and which are "naked", i.e. have no TPS cladding, the diameter of the LH2 Recirculation Line of 4'' (Ø 0,7 mm), which was used by me as a reference measure, concerns also only the "naked" stainless steel line, but which still has a 1'' TPS cladding (SS-1171/SLA-561), what results in a diameter of 6'' (Ø 1,0 mm/1:144), what I should have taken into account (see right scaling), up040472.gif

VGa1Ta.jpg

which is why I've then used the corrected dimensions. cool.gif

AkNyhL.jpg
Source: capcomespace.net

For the new line with the larger diameter (Ø 1,0 mm) I have then punched small discs (Ø 1,5 mm) for the Shrouds with my Punch & Die Set made of Styrene (1,0 mm) ,

UK78CF.jpg

which I've then drilled out in nine steps from Ø 0,5 mm to Ø 1,0 mm and chamfered,  

wtvkh3.jpg

and then threaded onto the new bended line that I like much better now. top.gif

fcOV00.jpg

Then I've drilled out the openings in the Umbilcal Plate as well as in the ET Aft Dome to 1 mm and carefully inserted the line, which now fits much better into the mould, 

KGoYOX.jpg

as one can clearly see here in the comparison of both variants. smiley250.gif

SakURU.jpg

Just good thing I've still noticed this lapse and could correct it, cool.gif

M13Ei3.jpg

because with it now I can finally finish this Umbilical chapter. yahoo.gif

1N2jQd.jpg

Now only a small detail is missing on the Crossbeam, which still has this cover with the outer slight slants on the top at the front edge, what it also was always good for ...  hmmm.gif

q1v5uv.jpg

This last detail I also still want to scratch now, wherewith then the ET/Orbiter Aft Attachment would be complete in my eyes.  up040577.gif

• Like 4

Incredible work @roma847! This is some impressive detailing and i will certainly keep following this build. 

I didn't catch any comments about it in the first couple of pages of the build log, but is there any particular reason you've chosen STS-6 as your baseline? personal experiences/preferences? 

As mentioned in another thread, i have been toying with the idea of doing a launch vehicle lineup in 1/72 -  but perhaps i need to reassess how big that would all end up! even your 1/144 scale works look expansive! 

I find the level of detail you guys manage to achieve inspiring/borderline terrifying. Im happy enough to not get large glue blobs on panels!

Perhaps i will work on a 1/72 line up, but from final stage first, working back to the first stages. or just space crew vehicles at 1/72 - much more manageable! 

9 hours ago, Mustermark said:

Superb scratching! The wider pipe does look right. Well observed!

Thanks Mark, :worthy:

I fully agree with you, and the TPS insulation of the LH2 Recirculation Line must already be considered. up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

9 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Incredible work @roma847! This is some impressive detailing and i will certainly keep following this build. 

I didn't catch any comments about it in the first couple of pages of the build log, but is there any particular reason you've chosen STS-6 as your baseline? personal experiences/preferences? 

As mentioned in another thread, i have been toying with the idea of doing a launch vehicle lineup in 1/72 -  but perhaps i need to reassess how big that would all end up! even your 1/144 scale works look expansive! 

Thanks my friend, :worthy:

I've chosen the mission STS-6 (April 04, 1983) as a Tribute to Challenger, because it was the maiden flight on her journey through the space, which tragically came to an end on mission STS-51-L (January 28, 1986) ..:hmmm:

c76Ezu.jpg

BTW, the bigger you build your model, the more details you can scratch, you just have to have the required space, up037692.gif but 1:72 is still manageable.  up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

Hello everybody,

and now to the long and narrow cover on the Crossbeam, for which I first determined the dimensions from this photo of the ET-37 (STS-37).  

cmHecg.jpg

As one can see, this is only a narrow thin strip, which increases slightly obliquely on both sides to the outside, which is not so easy to realize in the range of less than 1 mm in height. smiley215.gif  

That's why I considered to cut a 0,8 mm wide strip (above) from a thin Evergreen Sheet (0,13 mm) and then to glue it together with the two slants, made from an Evergreen Strip (0,4 mm x 0,75 mm).

fDyvpg.jpg

Since I've used again MEK, I also had to underlay Teflon foil, so that nothing could glue on. rolleyes.gif Then I've put on the laboriously sanded slants and carefully fixed with the cutter, and then lightly brushed with MEK from both sides, which is sufficient for the gluing.  speak_cool.gif 

IU2f8G.jpg

And so the cover was already as good as finished, only the transitions of the slants and at the ends, I have the strip a little bit  smoothened. cool.gif

P0yg3f.jpg

Afterwards, I've glued this strip similarly with MEK onto the Crossbeam, whereby I've glued step by step from one side to the other side.

5SrH7e.jpg

19eRsa.jpg

And as I think, the cover comes out pretty well and it's nothing to sneeze at.  up045518.gif 

heDaoU.jpg

With this now also this last detail would done.  up040577.gif

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

after these details on the Micro level, which were surely stressful for the viewer too, rolleyes.gif now again to somewhat larger parts on the ET, which I slowly want to prepare for the SOFI Insulation using the "Flour technique". cool.gif

To do this, I first had to recap once again how I wanted to do this with gluing of the ongoing Tape spiral (Barber pole) using the 0,75 mm wide tape strip for simulating the SOFI Pattern Texture. hmmm.gif

Regarding this, I had come to the conclusion at the time that it would be easier to mark the adhesive points for all add-on parts, such as the entire ET/Orbiter Aft Attachment incl. Longerons, as well as Ice Ramps and PAL Ramps, etc. and to make recesses for it on the spiral, before the Flouring process, which are then to be covered separately with tape pieces, and only to glue these parts onto the ET after the tank has been floured, primed and painted, and only to paint the add-on parts finally by hand. smiley215.gif 

And now step by step to the missing details on the ET. cool.gif

Among other things there was still to be due the extension of the LO2 Feedline, which is too short in the Airfix Kit, which I found to be easier due to the already existing Bracket rings of the Feedline Support Brackets than replacing the complete Feedline including the application of new rings. top.gif  

For doing this I've thought about cutting the line in front of the "last" ring, which is actually the penultimate ring, because the last Support bracket in front of the Intertank is missing in the kit as is well known. rolleyes.gif

The replacement piece of the line (Ø 3 mm) I drilled out  at the rear end, which thus can be plugged onto the centering pin (Ø 0,4 mm) in the rear part of the line, 

VDsmO7.jpg

and ends in front flush with the Feedline Fairing on the Intertank.  up045518.gif

r5SCaw.jpg

7mcXx5.jpg

Then I've still glued the front Bracket ring, what for I used an Evergreen Strip (0,4 mm x 0,6 mm), which I had previously bent under hot air around a steel core. 

XM1s8p.jpg

But right next to these narrow Bracket rings there are also somewhat wider rings, of which the front four are missing on the Airfix Feedline, and these are the so-called LO2 Feedline Bellows, which sit in front of the Support Brackets and are numbered green in the following image. top.gif

up067567.jpg

These Bellows enable the Feedline to be balanced by expansion/contraction both during refueling and during flight. For those interested, a NASA Facts PDF is linked in the following image with further information. speak_cool.gif

alQ4M2.jpg

The dimensions of this rings I have determined from this image, 

TAja9v.jpg

for which I used an Evergreen Strip (0,5 mm x 1 mm), which I wrapped around a steel core and formed into a spiral under hot air, 

erRziD.jpg

which has also retained its shape even after cooling.

SsHH3T.jpg

The diameter of the Core wire (Ø 2,5 mm) I've chosen deliberately slightly smaller than that of the Feedline (Ø 3,0 mm), so that the the spiral threaded onto the rest of the feedline fits closely and all I had to do was cutting off the Bellow rings with the razor blade. cool.gif

BifcLh.jpg

I started with the anterior of the four Bellows right in front of the Intertank, in front of which there is still a narrow ring,

QlvP7I.jpg

which I've then also glued. 

NaiZl8.jpg

And this is what this group looks like on the ET

YyjSB0.jpg

and just for the fun of it I've have threaded the two Press. Lines, which overall makes a pretty good impression, I think. top2.gif 

x1W7Pj.jpg

Now I can confidently glue the three rear Bellow rings (2-4), which I hope that the spiral will give the rest, wherewith the LO2 Feedline would be done.  up040577.gif

• Like 5

Hello friends,

meanwhile the remaining three LO2 Feedline Bellows are now glued too, so that the Feedline is now complete. cool.gif

SY6YiJ.jpg

JPY6bW.jpg

Next I've set out to pimp the ET Aft Dome a little bit, that is the rear dome-like end of the tank, in whose Aft Dome Cap there are these two Covers as one can see here on the ET-8 (STS-6), top.gif

kZckt5.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

as well as here on the ET-45 (STS-47)

2c4eE4.jpg

These are the so-called Manholes, of which I did already know the marked Manhole (Ø 36'') from the book "Remove Before Flight", written by my friend Scott Shuttleman Phillips, top.gif

w6TrNZ.jpg
Source: Scott Phillips

through which, after the final inspection and acceptance of the ET-1, he was the last person of his team to leave the tank for the STS-1 Mission and even got handed over the red Remove Before Flight Ribbon by the quality inspector, whereupon he was of course very proud of. smiley250.gif 

Behind the other Manhole (Siphon manhole) was the so-called Siphon with the Anti-vortex baffles, which should prevent an interruption of the fuel flow to the Main Engines, which can be seen on this indoor shot at the end of the LH2 Feedline next to the open Manhole

55016_10151204503964171_1840449495_o.jpg

Source: Scott Phillips

From these Manholes there are three exemplars in the Newware Kit made of Resin (R42)

D2euBk.jpg

and two as PE parts (P44). speak_cool.gif

hAWk6S.jpg

I will use the Resin parts, since their rear is slightly curved, which means that they lie better against the dome.

OPyHsc.jpg

As one can see from the sketch, the two Manholes are not arranged in the middle, but the exit manhole sits slightly below the middle, the location of which I have marked here on the Aft Dome Cap,

xEqlU9.jpg

and then both discs were temporarily put onto the dome. cool.gif

4ta481.jpg

I've glued both Manhole covers with Pattex-CA because the normal Revell plastic glue for gluing Resin parts is not suitable. nono.gif

Mo9VkK.jpg

And with that straight to these lighter Closeouts, which can be seen here on the ET-45 (STS-47), and in a similar form also on all ETs, the meaning and purpose of which was initially unclear to me. smiley215.gif

2EhQsR.jpg

But since I like to know what the parts I'm building are actually good for, I first have asked my ET expert, Scott Phillips, and also DaveS, which both had a simple explanation for it, for which I've then searched for appropriate photos and also found. top.gif 

These are the ET's rear contact surfaces/points on the transporter specially designed for him, which I've circled in red in the following image, which can be seen more clearly in the zoom. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sd589f.jpg

Strictly speaking, these are the so-called ET Aft Support Transportation Fittings for which there was this special device on which the ET was bolted down to the transporter, whereto I've found this drawing in the ET Bible. up045518.gif

3SZmLc.jpg
Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

An interesting fact is to note that before each ET's transport the SOFI foam of these Closeouts had to be removed and then reapplied, which resulted in different shapes and colors of these areas. huh.gif

And also for these Closeouts there is a corresponding PE part (P43) in the Newware Kit,  

7hb39G.jpg

that could already be seen on the right edge of the PE board in this image, with what it should continue soon. cool.gif

hAWk6S.jpg

So far for today, and thus still a nice 4th Advent evening. smiley347.gif

• Like 5

Hello everybody, 

to Christmas Eve quickly to the Closeouts, which I transferred from the PE board to an Evergreen Styrene Sheet (0,2 mm) because it makes it easier to transfer the contour to the ET. cool.gif The part should not be glued for the time being, but only after the SOFI Pattern-Tape-Spiral has been glued on, i.e. immediately before the Flour coating. up045518.gif

mG83Se.jpg 

ESWOdq.jpg

gfuldB.jpg

After I had determined the exact position of the Closeouts on the ET, 

6L2Yf6.jpg

I've fixed it with masking tape (2 mm) and was able to trace the contour.  speak_cool.gif

tHhIWO.jpg

C7Y0ca.jpg

Now I can start soon with gluing on the Tape spiral and then to cut out the contour so that I can subsequently glue on the Closeouts.
And with the two Longerons I will do it same way.  top.gif

Xgh6rM.jpg

With that I would like to leave it for now. 

I wish you all Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 5

Merry Christmas Manfred, and Happy New Year to and your family!

The project looks really great with the details.  Keep up the good work, I'll check back sometime.

Hello everybody,

before the champagne corks will pop later, I actually wanted to present you one last update in this decade, regarding some small details at the Thrust struts and the Longerons, which I still would like to modify because the original items look a bit different than in the Airfix Kit. rolleyes.gif

vHFEzI.jpg

As one can see in this image of the ET-6, the diameter of the Thrust strut in the front part is a little bit larger and the front ring a little wider. top.gif 

H5MZqG.jpg

But unfortunately I can't make it anymore, even though the images are ready, huh.gif which is why I'll postpone it to the next year, but I'll get in touch back tomorrow, I promise.  up045518.gif

With this in mind, I wish everyone a Happy New Year, see you later!!!  00002527.gif

happy-new-year-colorful-fireworks-over-c

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

and with this again back to the ET, where there are still a few little things like these Thrust Struts and Longerons, which I still would like to modify because in the original they look a little different than in the Airfix Kit. rolleyes.gif

vHFEzI.jpg

As one can see in this image of the ET-6, the diameter of the oblique struts in the front half is slightly larger and the front ring is a little wider, cool.gif 

H5MZqG.jpg

which one can see more clearly in this image of the ET-33 (STS-36), from which I determined the dimensions for the sheath. 

lNdSsz.jpg

As can be seen from this, the sheath in 1:144 should only have a wall thickness of 0,2 mm, which makes the selection of a suitable material somewhat difficult, since insulating hose, I like to use for such things, for inner diameters of approx. 3 mm but is too thick-walled and this time is eliminated. rolleyes.gif

So I had to think about something else smiley215.gif and first had thought of adhesive film, as it can often be found in the supermarket as a price label. cool.gif To do this, I cut a 9 mm wide strip and wrapped it around the strut a few times until it had a diameter of approx. 3,6 mm.  

h1xzNM.jpg

That would also work if necessary, but then one would have to accept the overlap at the end of the winding, which gradually opened again, which I didn't like. nono.gif

Then I came up with the following idea, idea1_2.gif and these were the well-known Drinking straws, some of which I had put aside a long time ago. Their diameter is     indeed a bit too large at 5 mm, but the wall thickness of approx. 0,2 mm would fit to get the required Ø 3,6 mm. speak_cool.gif

DDib7c.jpg

To do this, I've slit a 9 mm long sheath lengthways and then wound it as tightly as possible on a steel rod with a smaller diameter (Ø 2,5 mm) and fixed it with a clothespin, 

olnndP.jpg

hgUcd2.jpg

and then placed in a hot water bath for a few minutes for molding.

rNaF2G.jpg

The circumference of the resulting wrapped sheath I've then shortened accordingly, 

wxjbAA.jpg

so that there was no overlap on the Airfix strut. By the way, on the left in the image one can already see the prepared spiral for the wider front rings (0,5 mm x 1 mm).

JoYWNk.jpg

mtquSL.jpg

And as the test measurement showed, the required diameter of the sleeve was actually 3,6 mm. up045518.gif

tUhMlr.jpg

Here one can see a comparison of both variants, whereby I've chosen for the lower one.

dO8uOt.jpg

Before I could glue the sheaths onto the struts, I first had to remove the rings that were too narrow to be able to thread on the wider rings, 

anIF4A.jpg

that are already glued here. top.gif

T3TvHI.jpg

Then the sheaths could be pushed on and glued.

ov3D0R.jpg

And now still for the modification of the Longerons, for what I've used again Apoxie Sculpt, of which both components had to be mixed in a 1:1 ratio by kneading, 

b7Oo73.jpg

until a bright color appeared. With that it was then possible to fill in and model the middle areas between the slants,   

8yHbiT.jpg

in order to match them to the shape of the real Longerons. cool.gif

H5MZqG.jpg

In this condition I've let everything dry,

nHATKD.jpg

and then carefully sanded from all sides. huh.gif

The Thrust Struts are only temporarily layed up and have yet to be glued in. Then the front connecting bolt can also still be scratched. 

bvOpBT.jpg

And finally, here is the ET with the temporarily layed up struts and Longerons.

KwVpZt.jpg

85mOx5.jpg

MdaxzC.jpg

With that it's enough for the beginning in the new year.  up040577.gif

• Like 5

Thanks Kirk for the interesting article, :worthy:

but after the STS-6 Launch Pad Dio the Apollo Saturn V is still on my agenda, however attractive the SLS Monster rocket may look ... up040577.gif&key=37940a736477cc130c2717d

• Like 1