Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello everyone,

my friend Joe has uploaded the two Sprocket Sets of 16 faster than expected and also sent me the screenshots of the related Support Material. cool.gif

Here is the support wax arrangement at the Flat set variant,

44811399995_34148f2a42_h.jpg
Source: shapeways.com (Crackerjazz)

and here at the Upright variant

44811399355_449b1382c5_b.jpg

And here one can find both sets at Shapeways. up045518.gif

evdXNu.jpg

BVS888.jpg

I have now ordered the Set of 16-Flat Ori (FXD), and I'm curious if SW will print it without any trouble, what I expect, or if they will pull themself up again at the wall thicknesses (< 0,3 mm). up040577.gif

Thanks Rich, :worthy:

and Hello everybody,

my expectations of SW have been met, the Main Sprocket Set of 16-Flat Ori (FXD) was already let pass without hesitation and is In Production, speak_cool.gif wherewith also my 3D print projects would have been finished for now. yahoo.gif
Why not immediately so! up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

today came the Main Sprocket Set of 16-Flat Ori, which I have checked out closer, to see possibly, which side did lay below and therefore on the support wax. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

3S8Fwa.jpg

Well, what do you think? smiley215.gif

gVEzLq.jpg

I suspect that in the first picture one looks onto the bottom, which was lying on the wax and seems to be a bit rougher than the top in the second picture. top.gif

Under my LED lamp, the difference comes out a little better, therefore the same order of images, here is the view onto the bottom,

ZT45uD.jpg

and here onto the smoother top.  speak_cool.gif 

GIlFhS.jpg

So well, I'll have to clean everything anyway in the ultrasonic bath, both the Track Shoes and the Sprockets. huh.gif

That's it now with the 3D printing but first, and I'm very satisfied with the result. up040577.gif

And my special thanks to my ARC friend Joe (crackerjazz), who did an amazing 3D job. lob3.gif

Top side/face out,  dose look better than the support wax side.  Very nice.  These are going to make your crawler look really good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

maybe you already wondered about the break, but at the moment I am still busy completing the London Bus (1:24) of my best German Raumcon friend Thomas, who had gone much too early last year. 

He wanted to gift this Routemaster to his wife as a reminder of her time in London, but whose completion he must have postponed again and again and therefoe unfortunately could not finish it anymore, since he was probably too busy with his beloved Launch Pad project ... default_hmmm.gif

Therefore, his wife had asked me if I could not complete the bus, because allegedly only the outer decals (advertisement, line, etc.) would be missing, which of course I could not refuse her. i5684_no2.gif

In the same sense I have also taken over parts of his awesome project Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39A with Discovery STS-41D, which I will integrate into my project keeping his legacy alive and in memory of him in this way ... up046595.gif 

But it just was not only the missing decals, as his wife had meant at first, but the complete window set, etc. had to be installed, and also some small stuff then came to it, and so I also had to get a few spare parts from Revell ...

Lf6PHA.jpg

And this is how the bus looks right now, I hope for being able to send it next week, and finally fulfill my promise with the Routemaster's final Rollout. top.gif

BWfgQL.jpg

So far from my intermediate stop at the London bus stop Route 76 Waterloo to Victoria ... default_hmmm.gif

• Like 7

Hello everyone,

after my longer stopover at the London bus stop of the Route 76 Waterloo-Victoria, as well as after the exhausting but ultimately successful 3D prints of the Track Shoes and Main Sprockets for the Crawler Trucks I want to turn once again to the Early LWT (ET-8). top.gif

After a long bickering in summer with Shapeways' service team, with whose print quality of the modified WSF Intertanks (right) I neither was satisfied, nor I wanted to accept that fact, smiley_worship.gif i5684_no2.gif

up064636.jpg

up064634.jpg

I had been fiddling even further together with Michael Key and at the same time still modified some so far missing details. up035091.gif

These concerned the so-called Flange Closeouts at the connections of the Intertank with the LH2/LO2 tanks, which were sprayed by hand. 

436450main_JamesDuke_704x480.jpg
Source: NASA

This photo shows such a Flange Closeout area after manual machining completed.

wjqbJt.jpg
Source: facebook.com (Craig Capdepon)

These Closeout areas I've looked at in my photos of the ET-8 again closer and had marked them in the following images for a detailed discussion based on Michael Key's current 3D model. huh.gif

YzMOjE.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

4Q560D.jpg
Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

ZR7Ngs.jpg
Source: retropaceimages.com (STS-6)

By comparison, this transitional area had not yet been differentiated enough in his model, what I have explained to him. cool.gif

gTTWt3.jpg

While the flat area of the Closeout-2 is too narrow, the subsequent beveled area appears a bit too wide, which I have marked in this photo, and what one can see clearly on the right edge.

be0dAB.jpg
Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

In the next image I've put the original photo and the 3D model directly next to each other for comparison. As one can see, the flat area of the front Closeout-2 should be widened to 2,5 mm, so that the remaining slope is only 1 mm wide, measured to the leading edge of the IT, i.e. 12 mm is the distance from the lower edge of the vent to the leading edge of the IT.

ZAm1gK.jpg

BTW, the Closeouts at the end of the IT require the same changes I've marked with tape to overview at this WSF-IT.

83DN0M.jpg

tHt18u.jpg

These changes were largely taken into account in the next model except for a small detail. rolleyes.gif In his model, however, there is no smooth transition from Closeout-2 to the 'normal' Closeout, but a step/staircase that is caused by the different inclinations of both areas, which is not correct. i5684_no2.gif However, by widening the flat area of Closeout-2 should allow a smooth transition with the same slope.

410s0s.jpg

keXJ4j.jpg

And even these transitions could finally still be adjusted, after which the 3D model looked perfect.  speak_cool.gif

s0EOB1.jpg

K7m47J.jpg

Lj686o.jpg

XwP48h.jpg

PIbs0O.jpg

And this is now definitely the final Early LWT Intertank for my STS-6 Shuttle Stack

ucqKCL.jpg
Source: shapeways.com (The Aerospace Place)

but which I did not order it in WSF, but in FUD, that was delivered in the meantime too. Unfortunately, one can not see well the Closeout details on these FUD photos because of the transparency of the material. smiley_worship.gif

0KKtxA.jpg

And the IT also fits well with the other two Airfix ET parts

WZlChN.jpg

but has now to be thoroughly cleaned again in the ChiliDent Laboratory, wherewith finally would be completed this stressful IT chapter. analintruder.gif And on this occasion, the Track Shoes and Main Sprockets will be patched up as well.  up040577.gif

• Like 2

Great work on finishing the bus Manfred. I have the same kit in my stash. I hope I can do half as good a job as you and Thomas did.

The new intertank looks great.

I look forward to seeing the legacy of Thomas’ launchpad and how you will integrate into your model. It’s a wonderful idea to preserve the work of a friend.

Thanks Mark for your heartfelt words of appreciation for my intention of keeping Thomas' Space Shuttle legacy alive in my Launch pad project, what I will now share with him. :worthy:

And if you've read his STS-41D thread to the end, you'll have seen that I've already taken over his awesome lighted Hammerhead Crane gut.gif and integrated it into the Tower, along with his beloved flashing beacon, up040439.gif which never had been installed on both Launch pads ... :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my true friends,

the guys from ChiliDent gave the green light for ultrasonic cleaning, starting from 7th January I can get in touch. up040577.gif

BTW, I've finally finished the London bus for the wife of my late boyfriend Thomas (†54), and meanwhile he arrived safely, survived unscathed and will surely be a nice Christmas present. santa.gif

up066091.jpg

In this sense Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. 117C46~111.GIF

• Like 4

Thanks Mark for your good wishes, I wish you and your family also a reflective Christmas time.  117C46~111.GIF&key=a9b17471c4e7f1090eda6

BTW, on  my MLP is also Christmas time. weihnachten.gif

up054207.jpg

BTW, in ARC Forums several members expressed the wish that I also should post a construction report on the completion of the bus, of which I already thought about too. :hmmm:

So I started an own thread there to complete my friend's Routemaster project and thereby preserve him a honorable legacy, 

Completion of Revell's London Bus (1:24) - In memory of my late friend Thomas Emberger (†54)

where you can follow the construction progress, if you are also interested in. xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello my friends,

it will not be long now, and we are writing the year 2019. top.gif
In this spirit, I would like to thank you for your faithful companionship up046068.gif and wish you all a Happy and healthy New Year

Cheers!!! 00002527.gif