Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello everybody,

because there was going on here something strange, I wanted to get to the bottom of things and wanted to know from my friend, if he has selected a different Print orientation for the last Set of 20 (Flat Ori) than at the first set. smiley215.gif Because there must be a reason why my first two Sets of 20 so far are displayed like all other offers in a flat set arrangement and the last set since then in an upright aarrangement, what I have also asked SW.

Then Mitchell Jetten suggested that I could order the last Set of 20 (Flat Ori), then he could see if this orientation was saved, if not, he would cancel the order, which I then have done and told him the order number. huh.gif 

And so it came about that he had canceled the order because the designer was not determined orientation, which is why SW can not guarantee the printing orientation. Great right? eek.gif

Therefore, I should make sure that my friend sets this set orientation step by step and saves it.

Of course, he was very surprised about that and he said that he did that several times, what he could show with several screenshots, so that the confusion was perfect. smiley_worship.gif

Opening the model in 3D Tool:

29606228717_2d5cfa332f_c.jpg

Selection of the material Smooth Fine Detail Plastic (FUD):

42735238190_4d2443f18b_c.jpg

Set 3D Printing Orientation:

29606228687_64f09ff95a_c.jpg

Save Orientation:

29606228667_f049b806c9_c.jpg

42735237940_55a0fc9eab_c.jpg
Source: arcforums.com (crackerjazz)

After my friend had informed SW about it, Mitchell Jetten then backed down verlegen.gif and said that I could now order the Set of 20 (Flat Ori)

That in contrast to the offer still the flat lying set is displayed, is apparently a system bug, as SW had to admit. And that after three weeks controversial discussion ... erschrocken3.gif  

Since my friend Joe had convinced me more, I finally ordered this set, top.gif even though  its upright position made me doubt. undecided.gif

710x528_24758811_13525578_1536240465.jpg

Source: shapeways.com (Crackerjazz)

Since I still had lack of clarity about the expected wax residuals of the set, I asked my friend to send me a Screenshot of the location of the Support Material color], which can be displayed in the 3D Tool, as indicated by our expert Half-Dead. huh.gif

He did that as well, and this screenshot provided the final clarity and at the same time proof that he had actually saved the flat orientation before the upload.  speak_cool.gif

42745187580_dba46fa5f6_b.jpg 

And that is exactly the desired support wax arrangement, which facilitates the final ultrasonic cleaning. up045518.gif 

Then I asked Joe to upload the set of 52 also with the flat orientation, what he has done in the meantime, as these pictures show. cool.gif

44506575882_599f8556c6_c.jpg

Surprisingly, this 52 Flat Ori-Set in the SW shop is also displayed in an upright position, as the Set of 20, up047089.gif which does not bother me anymore. 

625x465_24796836_13541235_1536432104.jpg

It would be interesting now to see the support structure of the first two Sets of 20 with the upright standing shoes, 

710x528_24569974_13454947_1534881940.jpg

whereby I suspect that this should look something like this.

up064832.png
Source: shapeways.com (Mitchell Jetten)

And as this picture shows, I once again had the right nose. 

44567348761_af9ec753b2_b.jpg

Thereby the annoying problem with the supporting wax would be now also clarified, and if the ordered 20 Flat Ori-Set looks good, then I can order eight of these 52 Flat Ori-Sets, and with a total of 476 Track Shoes then I would have more than enough for the Crawler.  up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hello friends,

but now the confusion gets totally crazy, eek.gif because I just received the message from SW that the Set of 52 - Flat Ori would not be printable. I want to spare you the bla-bla-bla explanation because it is bland and trivial. default_expl.gif  

Unfortunately, we are unable to manufacture Crawler Track-1-160-scale-Set of 20-Flat Ori.

710x528_24758811_13525578_1536240465.jpg

I should contact the designer and discuss with him what to do next. rolleyes.gif

While the previous Set of 20 has disappeared from the online store, there is now a Set of 20-Flat Ori but only in FXD for 6,39 €, whereas the previous set with upright shoes did cost  6,02 €.

710x528_24758812_13525578_1536240444.jpg

In this offer, both the set and the shoes are lying flat.

Strange in this context is that SW had pointed out in the meantime that the Set of 52 - Flat Ori would be printable only in FUD, but not in FXD,

43646740055_50e527fc9f_c.jpg

what I did not care, because I wanted everything in FUD anyway.

710x528_24796836_13541235_1536432104.jpg

Now Joe has just told me that SW has informed him that the set would not be printable because the walls would be less than 0.3mm, but what should not be true,  boese.gif which proves his inspection once again. 

42784511660_397be450d8_b.jpg

This can not be the true reason, because SW has printed the previous two sets with 0,3 mm wall thickness, after it had been changed in advance from 0,2 to 0,3 mm. rolleyes.gif

One could almost think, as if they want to sell us for stupid, so that is slowly becoming a nightmare ... default_expl.gif

Hello everybody,

yesterday I got an email from SW that this is the real issue ... omgsign.gif

29669115517_5fd0105cd3_b.jpg
Source: shapeways.com (Mitchell Jetten)

The strange thing is that they've already printed this out twice successfully and without complaint. The only difference being the orientation of the shoes on the sprue. smiley215.gif

While the stacked set arrangement is printable,

710x528_24569974_13454947_1534881940.jpg

the flat one is not printable ...boese.gif

That may understand, who wants ... noidea2.gif

Maybe their printers are also weather-sensitive like my wife ... 00000016.gif

Hello friends,

regarding my objections that both sets have already been printed in FUD and FXD, I received from SW this wise answer: schlaumeier.gif

The current rejected model file has not been printed before which is why it was checked again.
Only when a model is printed before we skip the checking process.

While the geometry in the model could be the same as the order we printed before, it's a new upload, which is why it's checked again.

The designer requires to make it 0,3mm thick in order to pass.

Well roared the lion, I thought so with me. loewe-smilies-0003.gif

But there is another possibility, as I know meanwhile. top.gif

This is the SW feature Print It Anyway, with the help of which the designer can "force" a print to see how the part comes out, admittedly without warranty, but nevertheless interesting.

Maybe we still should try this ... up040577.gif

I used to have absolute nightmares with SW inconsistent approach to printing that I gave up on them in the end. I think they often took the software simulated failure calculations at face value without taking account of the material printing variables and the tolerances it can introduce. 

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

but now hold your hat! Hard to believe but wonders will never cease! erschrocken3.gif

Somehow, this idiotic rejection of the upright standing set with flat-lying shoes did not convince me and therefore did bother me. i5684_no2.gif

And as befits a real Challenger, I went on the offensive and ordered the 52 Flat Ori-Set - Come hell or high water, yikes.gif

625x465_24796836_13541235_1536432104.jpg

and chased then curious the course of the order. smiley215.gif

And even though I had already expected the same rejection, my order at SW went against expectation through their process chain Processing, Pre-Production and was then actually In Production, I thought, I do not see right. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

And today I got the mail Shipped!, which has blown me away.   I have actually outsmarted them, unbelievable ... 1-13768.gif

Now I'm curious what the set looks like, at which the shoes with the treads did lay on the support wax. up040577.gif 

44506575882_599f8556c6_c.jpg

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

today, the 52 Set-Flat Ori (FUD) came as if there had never been any problems with printability. i5684_no2.gif Unbelievable, but SW is really unpredictable ... analintruder.gif 

And I must say, the set not only looks good, but even better than the previous two sets with the upright standing shoes. speak_cool.gif

Here is the top side of the set, right next to it, the three connected shoes from the previous 20 FUD set.

dExmHi.jpg

And here the bottom side with a view of the treads, which feel a bit rougher, but which is explainable, since they were touched by the support wax, but which is not a problem. But the top and side surfaces are smoother because they were not in contact with the wax. top.gif

xJC20P.jpg

And if one looks carefully, cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif one can even see the small holes (Ø 0,2 mm), although not on all shoes, but one could even drill out them, if it should be, although they later are hardly visible anyway. smiley215.gif  

kfau7N.jpg

Here's a little closer view.

jQfW4t.jpg

VMbHTp.jpg

And so I will seize the moment and order a further seven sets, wherewith I would then come on the required 456 Track shoes, but I will still order additionally a further Set of 20 to be on the safe side.  up040577.gif

• Like 1

This is really interesting Manfred. I remember that the shoes marked the "last lap" of Rich's crawler build, there having been a marathon of work on all the 'trucks' and before that the hand rails, cabs, chassis and so on. Is your plan to build your crawler in reverse?

Also, what is the overall state of the programme as a whole? If I remember correctly, before the Shapeways saga you were working on the intertank and srb details and prior to that the launch tower; it seems an age since all that sound suppression pipework. I'm not complaining - the work is always inspirational and i marvel at your patient attention to microscopic detail - just keen to see the big picture of how it all comes together.

Kirk.

ps/ i still think you would have saved yourself weeks of heartache by building the whole thing from scratch in a consistent 1:144 scale.... :) 

• Like 2

I just ordered a lot of prints for the crawler tracks - before Shapeways change their minds about printing it!

Great work Manfred and crackerjazz!

It seems that my idea to build the shuttle on the launchpad stalled the day I found this thread... so much to learn, and now so many parts to replace with prints! I am happy that Manfred enjoys us as spectators, because i do not contribute much at all! In the meantime my model trains take up my modelling time. And I already have a cupboard full of shuttle and launch pad parts waiting for me to begin again. I have a feeling there will be many more prints to come before Manfred is finished!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 9:27 AM, Kirk said:

This is really interesting Manfred. I remember that the shoes marked the "last lap" of Rich's crawler build, there having been a marathon of work on all the 'trucks' and before that the hand rails, cabs, chassis and so on. Is your plan to build your crawler in reverse?

Also, what is the overall state of the programme as a whole? If I remember correctly, before the Shapeways saga you were working on the intertank and srb details and prior to that the launch tower; it seems an age since all that sound suppression pipework. I'm not complaining - the work is always inspirational and i marvel at your patient attention to microscopic detail - just keen to see the big picture of how it all comes together.

Kirk.

ps/ i still think you would have saved yourself weeks of heartache by building the whole thing from scratch in a consistent 1:144 scale.... :) 

Thanks Kirk for looking in on me again. :worthy:

The side leap to the Crawler Track shoes has offered itself, after I have spent the last half year with the chapter 3D printing, first with the ASTCs for the SRBs, followed by the odyssey with the ITs for the External Tank:analintruder:

With this subject I did enter uncharted new ground and had to learn the hard way, both in the collaboration with the designers and still much more with the Shapeways customer service, which was quite time consuming and stressful ... :hmmm:

But all the Track shoes have been ordered now and are meanwhile In Productionup045518.gif

Then I will go back to the MLP and mount the complete SSWS after painting all the pipes and Rainbirds, as well as install the LED lightinggut.gif

Now you are fully informed again, stay tuned! up040577.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mustermark said:

I just ordered a lot of prints for the crawler tracks - before Shapeways change their minds about printing it!

Great work Manfred and crackerjazz!

It seems that my idea to build the shuttle on the launchpad stalled the day I found this thread... so much to learn, and now so many parts to replace with prints! I am happy that Manfred enjoys us as spectators, because i do not contribute much at all! In the meantime my model trains take up my modelling time. And I already have a cupboard full of shuttle and launch pad parts waiting for me to begin again. I have a feeling there will be many more prints to come before Manfred is finished!

Thanks Mark, :worthy:

which Track shoes did you order? :hmmm:

Well, that was a great coup, with which I surprised SW. B) This was an inner inspiration, what should already happen? smiley215.gif In the worst case it could be rejected, so what? up035091.gif

But now finally start an own thread, or are you afraid of your own courage? :analintruder:

Yes, sorry... I ran out of time to reply fully.

Partly, I am waiting to see how your whole stack fits together with the mix of scales to see what I will choose to do and which corners I may cut, and partly my desire is also quenched by this spectacle you are providing.

Since we moved house in 2016 and my launchpad all got packed away, I have begun smaller projects. Knowing that we will move again in a few years, upon retirement, I may be better inclined to build something this big and never have to move it again.

I hope to have three shuttles one day - the ISS with Atlantis docked, of STS-132 that I saw launch, that is now still taken apart from the last move; Columbia “in flight” of STS-1 (“What a view, what a view”), and Challenger on the launchpad of STS-6.

I now have a sizeable stash with military trucks and tanks in 1/35 with etch parts and metal tank tracks, various planes such as a 1/48 Tornado with various aftermarket detail kits and a still-to-be-painted A340 in 1/144 that is 90% aftermarket resin and 10% original kit! I have a Dodge Challenger SRT car kit in 1/25 with some after market resin parts on order to model the real one that I own. And then there are my O gauge 1/43 train kits - two car-transporter wagons and a three-car multiple unit. I also have some racing cars in 1/25 of the DTM, of which I am a huge fan, including Timo Glock’s ‘Deutsche Post’ BMW; and also Michael Schmacher and his Ferrari 1/20 from his championship win in 2000. Then I have all the 4 versions of the Back to the Future De Lorian in 1/25.... and so on, to list just a few. At the moment it is easier to find time to buy kits and research aftermarket parts than to build them. I currently have four projects on-the-go, and it drives my wife crazy, because she was taught to tidy one toy away before you get another one out, and my den just looks like the mind of a 12-year-old boy exploded!

Let’s assume I have many years of retirement to finish half of the projects I have planned, along with two model railways to build! It is a crazy life with an almost infinite choice of subjects to model. 😜

Hi Mark,

omgsign.gif as one can see you've planned a long list of projects, in front of which one can stare in awe ... eek.gif

Make sure that the mountain becomes not too big which you are piling up in front of you, otherwise it can outgrow above your head and the burden and stress could become too hard for you. smiley_worship.gif

You have seen my project growing over the years, but you should have started with a subproject. Once started, the project can gradually grow by itself, which then does not overwhelm you. top.gif

The space requirement for the Launch pad alone should not be underestimated, which has always kept me from working on several subprojects at the same time, under which in the end also suffers the concentration. 

That's why, I can understand that you want to await for your relocation because it blocks you. hmmm.gif

Nevertheless, cheer up and keep cool! up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

the Set of 20 is already on the way, and of the remaining seven Sets of 52 six are already printed, only the last one is missing, which is why the shipment will hopefully follow soon. up040577.gif

And thus the Crawler would be almost finished already ... 00000016.gif

P.S.: Your Shapeways shipment is on its way! smiley250.gif

• Haha 1

Hello friends,

although I have already experienced some things, Shapeways still has some surprises in store. shocked.gif

Today came the already announced Set of 20 Flat Ori (FXD). But after I unpacked it, I could not believe my eyes. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif 

Because that was not the Track Shoe-Set I ordered,

but any other one with little mini parts, eek.gif

7pclM2.jpg

EZ2lRS.jpg

what of course I've immediately complained. up043952.gif

Mitchell Jetten (SW) but immediately apologized in return:

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear we shipped the wrong model to you.

I have raised a complaint (CT-48214) ticket right away and asked our production team to reprint the correct model as soon as possible. verlegen.gif

There are also less beautiful wonders by SW ... up040577.gif

9 sets of 52 flat shoes in ‘smooth fine detail’ arrived from Shapeways today (along with 6 rainbirds in ‘white natural versatile’, and a 1/148 scale railway brake tender wagon in ‘smoothest fine detail’).

The shoes look great!

Incidentally the wagon in ‘smoothest’ is amazing, the best print I have seen yet, the curves are smooth and the detail is fantastic.

Edited by Mustermark
Fat fingers