Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hi folks,

here is still a question to the expert round, what do you think wherefore these screwings are good for, which are located at all outlets (6'' - 9'' - 12'' - 18'') of the SSWS? :hmmm:

JX9EwD.jpg

Source: NASA

Of which there are a total of 18 pieces, top1.gif if I've counted correctly, although here some are covered.

up052234.jpg

Are these possibly vent openings or inspection ports? denknf8.gif

Thanks Rich and Nigel for your ideas. :worthy:

But the SSWS pipes are only during the launch under pressure. The rest of the time the entire system is open, from the two 36'' feed pipes in the SRB exhaust holes

I3k9vf.jpg

to all outlet openings of the two ring lines.

up051930.jpg

I rather think that they are probably some sort of inspection ports for access for Mini Cameras periodically to check the pipes for cracks and wear. Because at these pipe-bends the stress as well as the wear of the pipes are greatest, this makes most sense to me. top1.gif

• Like 1

That,s right up your PhD area Manfred, you would know better than the rest of us about material analysis and structure stress.. Your idea of an inspection port is probably the correct one.

Hello everybody,

be that as it may, I've tried to scratch these nipples. cool.gif

As already indicated, the nipples are relatively small in my scale (1:160), only about 0.4 mm/0.2 mm in diameter and about 0.4 mm high. shocked.gif

2Y4GMn.jpg

If one would be pretty exactly, one might poke a brass rod Ø 0,2 mm into a brass tube Ø 0,4 mm with 0.09 mm wall thickness, as one can see here. undecided.gif

vFGGPo.jpg

But the tiny "screw" on the right side is hardly to be seen still. rolleyes.gif

ZqBxEh.jpg

This couple one could now stuck into a 0.4 mm through-hole, but this effort is not worthwhile. i5684_no2.gif

Therefore, I would be satisfied with a Styrene variant, whereto I have drilled out my dummy outlet

8O00m5.jpg

and glued a short stub Styrene Ø 0,4 mm.

f6GyDu.jpg

And this stub I've then reduced to approx. 0.4 mm in height. top2.gif

y6jM5g.jpg

And since this result seems perfectly adequate, I will probably stick with it. up040577.gif

• Like 3

Hi there,

Today I want already times to have a look ahead how it goes on shortly. cool.gif

There are still these two 9'' outlets (Ø 1.4 mm), which branch off before the 12'' outlet from the 24'' ring line, then run through below the SRB Blast Shields,

RomOpe.jpg

and feed the line with the outlet nozzles on the rear wall of the SSME exhaust chamber,

6CUGlF.jpg

which I have completed for some time, as well as the tricky Firex line. a040.gif

up046117.jpg

And at the other end of the 24'' ring lines it goes on behind the TSM's with the 16'' rejuvenations (Ø 2.5 mm) which are tapering one more time to 11'' (Ø 1,8 mm) after the first bending,

JufpZD.jpg

and end in the SSME chamber in these pipes stocked with eight outlet nozzles.

up045585.jpg

In order to continue with these details, I had to make measurements and scalings again. huh.gif

jObYeh.jpg

And as it looks like, it will be probably again pretty tricky, I guess. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

here still a small addendum to two outlets that are missing yet, these are namely those four 6'' outlets (Ø 1 mm) here, which although were to be seen already, but have not yet been regarded.

oFnTH5.jpg

These transitions branch off from the ring lines, run under the SRB Blast Shields, and reappear between the front SRB Supports, whose ends with the outlet openings also already exist. happy.gif

up045181.jpg

And the two 24'' ring lines are fed in through these two 36'' inlet pipes in the corners of the SRB-wells that were already shown also.

Here is the upper confluence into the ring line,

wfKeJ9.jpg

and here the lower end with the coupling elements,

vt5wVB.jpg

Source: Troy McClellan

which must not be missing. top2.gif

And in order that during the further adaptation and assembly of various outlets everything goes well and the ring lines cannot shift constantly themselves, I have precautionally carved even more mounting aids. cool.gif

yvfhcc.jpg

These mounting aids are then certainly also indispensable during subsequent assembly of so many pipe supports. up040577.gif

• Like 3

Maybe the bolts are help the system drain after use. You wouldn't want the large scale equivalent of the upside down glass of water trick going wrong to happen when you have people working around there.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich and Chillitt, let's keep on pipe bendings. :worthy:

Hello everyone,
initially I still want to show the two 12'' outlets, which now have got their outlet openings and baffles as well as the nipples. cool.gif
VTAbXI.jpg
IQWwUF.jpg
And after that it initially went on with the 9'' transitions (Ø 1,4 mm) of the 24'' ring lines (Ø 4 mm), standing on a tall support pillar.
up052503.jpg
What on the pictures firstly looks really practical and invites for scratching, then pretty shrinks on the 1:1 Sketch again. rolleyes.gif
vr4ePw.jpg
After determining of the dimensions of the components began the search for suitable profiles. For the pillar Evergreen rods are suitable with Ø 1 mm (bottom) and 1,4 mm for the upper sleeve, on which a flat 2 mm U-profile sits and on this a small "Sickle". Of the width for the U-profile a corresponding Evergreen channel would be suitable, but is unfortunately too thick for this filigree support and the sides with 1 mm too high. shocked.gif
That's why I prefered to bite the bullet and have scratched the profile of 0.15 mm Styrene. huh.gif For the sides I have sanded down an Evergreen strip 0.25 mm x 0.5 mm to 0.15 mm and then glued with MEK. a040.gif
bMQCZk.jpg
aQsW4t.jpg
And the difference is clearly visible, as one can see here. cool.gif
jLKIBV.jpg
Then bending was indicated again, this time with the 1.4 mm rod,
qfQAEQ.jpg
what agrees very well with the sketch. happy.gif
b2dHZt.jpg
After that I've drilled a hole with 1.4 mm in the front inner corner of the SRB Blast Shields, and made a test that was okay instantly.
oK3XVy.jpg
And that also fits well with the underlying 12'' outlet. :speak_cool:
AYKnbI.jpg
HVm9Gs.jpg
Now is still missing the support pillar, which I'll make tomorrow. up040577.gif
  • Like 3

Thanks Richard for your great compliment! lob3.gif

Now that's going too far, first and foremost comes the ingenious technical masterstroke of NASA scientists and engineers, that fascinates me anew every day. top2.gif

I can only try to build a good copy and to give my best to capture some nice details. ... up040577.gif

The way you could top what you're doing, is to have this beauty motorized and the shuttle able to launch!

Thanks Thom, :worthy:
what a beautiful imagination, let's all together dream on ... up040577.gif

Hello again,

but initially the 9'' outlet still received a few small details. cool.gif

At the feedpoint of the 24'' ring line is a small thickening to see, for what I have punched a small Styrene disc (0.5 mm) with Ø 1.6mm, which has already been glued, as can be seen in the following figure.

Due to the small diameter of the outlet of 1.4 mm also the diameter of the nipple is correspondingly smaller with only 0.3 mm, shocked.gif for what only a tiny hole were to drill,

sPLnGF.jpg

into which my thinnest rod with Ø 0,3 mm was glued. Next to it is a lead wire with a diameter of 0.3 mm, which I will use for the clamping ring on the other end.

lccVuv.jpg

LmVjfo.jpg

The lead wire I have glued with CA.

PdI0K1.jpg

And so the final outlet looks, from which I still need a second copy. top2.gif

jFoAl9.jpg

And now to the slender support pillar, which stands under this outlet and consists of six parts,

up052503.jpg

which I have already prepared and are all quite tiny,

dFYFZF.jpg

which must be glued together now. rolleyes.gif

And I can tell you, the mounting should become a tricky matter due to the minimal contact surfaces. :analintruder:

2Rt1iz.jpg

Since I glued these things with normal Revell glue for possible corrections, one can not continue, but must wait until hardening. huh.gif

Xu85bp.jpg

And the height of the support I should also check from time to time, since it should not exceed 9 mm in order to fit even under the outlet.

ckFW2t.jpg

And for that reason alone every now and then a break is necessary, like now, why the base plate and the top plate have to wait. up040577.gif

• Like 3

Hello everybody,

and here is the next update. cool.gif

Since I still wanted to check the total height of the support pillar, I have not initially sanded the tiny rounding in the upper pipe holder, especially since it is anyway only 1 mm x 1 mm "big". huh.gif

The problem with this prototype is, that the height of the components should be exact as possible on the tenth of a millimeter, if in the end should be reached the calculated required total height of 9 mm, so that the support fits under the transition. shocked.gif

Subsequently, the support was positioned on the base plate and glued,

gpO0bj.jpg

and then vertically aligned on all sides vertically.

PlY3Wb.jpg

And so the filigree structure looks, which is very fragile and wherefore the further handling is to enjoy with caution. huh.gif

ACxxgA.jpg

With the optical look of the support I am already very satisfied, although actually still missing these two screwings, :analintruder:

pV7PZS.jpg

which I wanted to try at least times. In my estimation, one could scratch it by thin rods, which would, however, which would be again in the boundary region of the nipples with Ø 0,3 mm. rolleyes.gif

That would be even doable, although this strip (0.37 mm x 1.5 mm) is slightly wider than the only 1 mm wide plate under the pipe holder,

SUDIAQ.jpg

and through the shadows it could be seen even better in the painted state, questionable would be, however, from what distance ... :hmmm:

TnnB5D.jpg

But more important is the question whether and how the support would fit at all.denknf8.gif

And to my surprise, it fits already together relatively well,

dPzjqr.jpg

JWPrbq.jpg

xP3bCi.jpg

although the left side of the pipe hangs a bit in the air, as can be seen more clearly in this close-up.

P0vJ1X.jpg

But this should be still compensable if I sand even a tinier rounding in the tiny pipe holder (1 mm x 1 mm) and it plays along. erschrocken3.gif

Although this support was quite tricky, this looks but overall very well. up040577.gif

• Like 4

Hi there,

making of the tiny rounding was not a problem, especially since only a hint of 0.15 mm was necessary. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

And here is the result,

WyOVOS.jpg

and because the transition now sits a little bit lower, so far everything is okay. top2.gif

gU6fAI.jpg

Therefore, the rounding of the second pipe holder will be made before assembly. up040577.gif

• Like 1