Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Nice to see a pic of the whole thing, it's very impressive indeed.

I followed the link to the first part of the build too.... brilliant!

Hi there,

and here are the next steps. For the ROFI on the front of the LH2 TSM I needed even this small basic plate of about 1.5 mm diameter. And that was a good opportunity, to test my recently ordered Punch & Die Set of UMM-USA, which was still arrived in time for Christmas. cool.gif

QRlj4H.jpg

The set includes 12 punch stamps with these diameters: 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 mm. And I've tried it with paper and Ø 2 mm,

bWFpsX.jpg

what has worked well at first.

7Gd3r5.jpg

And then I tried with all diameter 0.3 mm Styrene and can only say: Absolutely perfect! :speak_cool:

ypjrl6.jpg

This set will certainly be to me later in the construction of the crawler trucks valuable assistance. icon_thumb.gif

Next, I glued the ROFI on the base plate and then on the TSM,

CGR5aU.jpg

dnH94r.jpg

and then placing the ladder to try on.

J7Yn2H.jpg

Nzptc2.jpg

But for gluing of the ladder to the support brackets I need daylight, so I'll do it tomorrow. ja.gif

Manfred, Kallisti, Thanks for the review about the punch and die set. I will be needing a set just like yours for the Truck chapter of the Crawler build. Good work Manfred, I can't wait to see what's next!!

Thanks Rich for your nice words,

yep, for the madness Truck chapter with tons of different tiny discs you should use such a fancy and helpful tool. icon_thumb.gif

BTW, the next chapter will be the SSWS with a lot of pipes, supports and water bags and rain birds. :analintruder:

fGFsAX.jpg

Source: NASA

hallo.gif

• Like 1

Hi folks,
as time goes by, and sometimes it comes differently than you think. rolleyes.gif
If you do not constantly stay tuned, one can here and there ever be a bit out of sight. And so I was quite surprised when I finally wanted to glue the last missing ladder on the front of the LH2 TSM that there still lacked the transition rung to the top four single rungs. angry.gif The must somehow have gone astray, and therefore had yet to be bent and painted a new rung. And on that occasion, I immediately painted again with the ladder.
5pTjlQ.jpg
After the single rung was glued, the ladder was glued on, which was a delicate matter again, as I had to dab each support bracket individually by means of acupuncture needle gently with CA in order then to glue with each rung. shocked.gif
G9a3cR.jpg
And finally, the glued joints had something to retouch. After this, the little handles were glued to the service boxes flaps,
MBRYT5.jpg
sitting directly in front of the ladder.
6qyzTg.jpg
Great I thought, now it's finally done and the two TSM's that were tough, I can check off. Therefore, once again a few panoramic views to the end of this stressful chapter.
jwKvIj.jpg
yDnTfl.jpg
pn9JVW.jpg
qTwzAE.jpg
t7nIJV.jpg
And then I wanted to finally show the ROFIs again in more detail,
3yeTMz.jpg
and had surprised to find that the LOX TSM just been missing these small handles for the service boxes flaps also. Since I had before my longer break actually fabricated not eight, but apparently only six handles. :analintruder:
89Wtv9.jpg
Well, this one has gotten for his close-ups, which bring it to light. rolleyes.gif Since everything search did not help, I had to scratch a few new handles. huh.gif
wzxlrq.jpg
But now these handles are also still there, and so is now finally rest.40.gif
qQFe5B.jpg
1uTC39.jpg
And that's it for today, thanks for looking. up040577.gif
  • Like 3

Just outstanding craftsmanship!!!!!!!!!!!! You make us all jealous with your attention to detail. A true master model builder!!

Thank you my friends for your great compliments. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

About curse or a blessing of this attention to detail and the related effort one can certainly argue, but I do not regret time and effort, even if I was often very close to despair. :analintruder:

Then one has to overcome his inner temptation somehow and just bite through, BANGHEAD2.jpg although this is often easier said than done ... n060.gif
But ultimately the immense effort paid off, thank God. 40.gif

Hi there,

after conclusion of the protracted TSM Chapter I can now again turn to the topic Sound Suppression Water System (SSWS), I had to interrupt at that time because of the necessary restructuring of the SRB exhaust holes unfortunately. rolleyes.gif
Therefore, again a short review to set the mood, because I now have to completely rethink again too. cool.gif
First there is the piping system around the SRB holes, of which six branchings extend into the holes, as well as the six Rainbirds.
x9te2T.jpg
This main pipe system is connected to a subsystem, which is located around the SSME exhaust hole, whereby during launch the entire MLP deck is flooded, as seen here in a test. shocked.gif
YSSc9K.jpg
The SSWS includes also respectively 30 Water bags, which in addition are hung from above in the SRB holes and are intended to support the sound suppression effect.
up028321.jpg
The following drawing gives an overview of the SSWS with details on the respective tube diameters,
up028322.jpg
for what I had already procured me the necessary profiles with diameters of 1 mm to 6 mm.
up028326.jpg
Since at that time I had to widen the SRB holes from 1:160 to 1:144 the curved main lines do not fit now.
up028431.jpg
And also the water bags are therefore too narrow for the new SRB holes and thus waste, so first of all a new template must be made. zustimm.gif
6q0ryP.jpg
Therefore, it is now to go further at this point - so let's try again! cool.gif
hallo.gif
Edited by roma847
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see you back working on the SSWS systems again. You need to give us an update.

Hey Rich,

I actually wanted to apply full throttle again whith the SSWS, but gone stupid! - Wait and see ... :analintruder:

Fabulous work as usual Manfred. That wide shot shows up the depth of detail that is just jaw dropping :clap2:

Thanks Mike for your nice compliments, but also wait and see ... :yikes:

Edited by roma847

Hi there,
but before I start fully in the SSWS chapter again, I wanted to see how a new test with the stack and the 1:144 TSM's will look like in order to check their location next to the SSME exhaust hole. rolleyes.gif
After my first emergency surgery to widen the SRB exhaust holes to 1:144, I had thought of not having to change the SSME hole. But then I made my decision, to build the TSM's 1:144 too and have started the tricky job with the PE ladders and ROFIs what had distracted me from the scale problems a little bit. rolleyes.gif
Now I have made a new test with the stack and the larger TSMs (1:144) and see for yourself first, what it looks like now ...
First, the sight of the stacks on the MLP is quite impressive again, I think. cool.gif
5Fviwo.jpg
3NFTC0.jpg
x7EoXd.jpg
DUZJHS.jpg
With something closer inspection you can see that the TSM's wandered slightly outwards and forwards, representing each about 4 mm.
In the provisional arrangement I went out thereof, that should be approximately 10 mm space between the TSM hoods and the orbiter for the two T-0 umbilicals. These are the fold-out "connector plugs" for the media supply of the orbiter during the countdown to lift-off, which can be seen nicely in this top view.
gLvH4s.jpg
In the rear view the displacements become even more significant.
ikKsDk.jpg
k4r21g.jpg
And here again, both views without the stack for better overview.
w0iMkS.jpg
OihyB0.jpg
And now it is clearly seen that the two TSMs are too far next to the exhaust hole, so that there would be significant problems in laying the SSWS pipes around the hole, especially in terms of optics if you look at the next picture. This would then probably have a somewhat strange running of the lateral pipes below the service flap box. undecided.gif
FqGPck.jpg
And if I imagine this sight, I know that I would not like and for better or worse I will have to widen the SSME hole at about that 4 mm on both sides. This arrangement corresponds then on the width and the location of the TSM's exactly the geometry of the 1:144er hole arrangement, and that will be okay. Then the TSM's standing right next to the hole, where they belong, and with the shorter length of the hole to the front I have to live. cool.gif
So then let's go to the 2nd emergency surgery, which I hope will not be quite as cruel as the first one. cry.gif
And for that, please press all available thumbs! two_thumbs.gif

Hello folks,

first of all I had to cope this second low blow somehow, up043950.gif but still I'm not knockout, but only slightly chipped ... up043951.gif

After my first emergency surgery on the SRB holes I was worried that it would probably run out on it, but I had supplanted these thoughts in the meantime again and again. But latest with the decision for the 1:144er TSMs that was really clear, but then I have first built the tricky TSMs and ROFIs and was therefore initially too distracted. But now the vexing dilemma of scale of the Revell kits with the following compromises has ultimately caught me up again. up043952.gif

However, long wail does not help, and therefore let's go for the second emergency surgery, I have to go through now. up037139.jpg

The Dremel is already snappy and ready for all infamous actions, and the surgeon has marked out the cuts already. fight.gif

up043953.jpg

Well, unfortunately that will go again right under the skin, as you can see here. cry.gif

up043954.jpg

Because I need to extend the width of the exhaust hole from 58 mm to 66 mm, I might come out in the side walls, but fortunately they are made of balsa. cool.gif But I guess I will have to remove them completely and to install new walls. Maybe I can save at least the two side panels. undecided.gif

So, I will report to you again out of the operating room.

Hi there,

so, here I am again and would like report to you from the place of the horrible event, and inevitably come back to me the former pictures of my first emergency surgery in my mind. shocked.gif

But alarmism is not good, and so let's go straight to the point. First I tried to carefully peel off the lining of the hole, and at first also somewhat worked.

HOINiC.jpg

And then the Dremel with the circular saw blade was in action in order to perform short and painless the two longitudinal sections through the 2 mm thick hardboard on top. flehan.gif

BMAEYb.jpg

And then, but it went right to the point. In these slots I worked myself with knives and chisels piece by piece into the deep, but that has hurt in my modeler soul what can certainly be seen in the pictures. But unfortunately the lining stayed not entirely unaffected. :analintruder:

8PG52k.jpg

pCjqyP.jpg

But finally it was done yet, and as you can see, also got a lot shavings flew. up043951.gif

idtoid.jpg

vU241J.jpg

omgsign.gif Thus, the rough things are done first time, and I can make to the new lining. I can at least still use the reinforcement rods. zustimm.gif

Hello my friend,

thank you for your fingers crossed, and sorry for the crass images. embarrassed.gif
So far everything is running lightly, luckily everything else is intact, and the patient is still alive thanks to his/my sturdy construction. cool.gif
BTW, the paper model from David Maier's Kit had not survived this brutal attack guaranteed in the face of used surgical tools. shocked.gif
Edited by roma847