Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Thanks for your nice comment, I fully agree with you. :worthy:

And this madness could also be topped and would even remain in scale. cool.gif
As you can see in the picture, from the inner tubes are running still thin wires, I suspect ignition electrodes of the spark generator, or something like that. undecided.gif
J30L5j.jpg
Source: NASA
I have now made ​​my fun and estimated its diameter. If I take the diameter of the inner tube with 0.5 mm as reference, the wire diameter should be around 0.08 mm. :yikes: And introduce yourself, I've actually found in the thinnest litz wire (0.6 mm) I have, a very thin copper wire of this diameter, hard to believe, but true !!! icon_thumb.gif
Such a small wire I threaded into the tube (0.5 mm) and the sleeve only slipped provisionally around, ignoring the concentricity of the tube in the sleeve. And this pic came out here.
viN5Ul.jpg
Although the autofocus of my digicam in this macro shot in artificial light so had its problems, one can perhaps see the little wire in the inner tube, I hope. gut.gif
hallo.gif
Edited by roma847

Hello together,

so now I have to go to the sleeves and small tubes, and later perhaps also to the little wires in the tubes, of which here already one (0.08 mm) is threaded in the right tube, actually, but probably hard to see, right? shocked.gif

bMze5l.jpg

Next, the sleeve was glued with CA on the base plate, which appears oversized from this near anything, so do not be fooled.

MnEWHc.jpg

And here's the fitting on the LOX-TSM.

JEBDJ4.jpg

fJJagd.jpg

So far, so good. cool.gif But before I now insert the mini-tubes, I started with the holder of the LH2-TSM. To fix the center bar this time I have taken a mini-magnet which is more practical than a tape-strip.

URXlO4.jpg

And this works really great,

d3kZz8.jpg

and nothing can slip more! zustimm.gif

iOKNe1.jpg

For sticking the sleeve also one needs firm support, so therefore in the vice, but be careful! cool.gif

itxkkM.jpg

AfMGKZ.jpg

And in this position, I now have glued the two tube-stubs (Ø 0.5 mm, 2.3 mm) with CA and of course put the magnifying glass. rolleyes.gif

9RAUjn.jpg

And so the ROFI looks initially at the LH2 TSM, here without the little wires, but so far pretty good.

y8VASn.jpg

rcdzYn.jpg

And already at this distance, you can see that one can hardly recognize something from the small tubes, and later of the little wires certainly even less ... huh.gif

oiToXV.jpg

But the heck with it! In close range you already can recognize and that's enough for a quiet conscience. n060.gif

hallo.gif

• Like 1

Hi all,

I want to briefly report how it went with the ROFIs. Meanwhile, I have completed the rear ROFI for the LH2 TSM according to the same procedure.

q2DPTe.jpg

The gluing of the supposed spark plug wire I have for now postponed. Since I'm namely not quite sure if that really are during launch off or not, especially since there are also pictures where the cables are not implemented. undecided.gif

BdtBDJ.jpg

Therefore, I have asked at the overseas friends (NSF Forum) whether maybe someone can answer. Perhaps the ROFIs are armed ​​only before the launch and inserted the igniter with the cables etc.. nixweiss.gif

So I'll wait for any answers that could maybe even clarify, and have now started with the front ROFIs (see pic above). Whose structure is relatively simply, as shown in the following pictures, and was carried out in a manner analogous to the rear ROFIs.

OIhakU.jpg

The tiny strut I could just hold with the tip of the tweezers yet to stick. rolleyes.gif

ueiGfr.jpg

E3LfwS.jpg

tjyXxE.jpg

The hardest part was gluing the short tube (2.3 mm) in the sleeve, that's actually jumped out of my tweezers, but fortunately I was able to find it on the floor yet. shocked.gif

mq1cMP.jpg

And here is the fitting on the front of LOX-TSM to see where the ROFI is only once placed provisionally.

jfm7A2.jpg

tOa3lU.jpg

J2Sz1I.jpg

And tomorrow I'm going to install the feed pipes. cool.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847
  • Like 1

Thanks Kallisti.

Hello guys,
let the sparks fly, omgsign.gif these ROFIs hold me up quite nicely, but I pull now through, with or without ignition wire. cool.gif
Therefore, here comes the second front ROFI before I'm out of practice.
Tnbos5.jpg
p6W3i6.jpg
oGxurs.jpg
Thus the ROFIs now would be half finished, only missing the feed pipes on the rear side.
B1y0gt.jpg
And so now I have made ​​further with the front ROFI of the LOX TSM. The pipe is made ​​of 0.4 mm copper wire that can be bent nicely. And the little gray disc becomes the connecting plate of the pipe.
qxujrD.jpg
Since the front ROFIs only have a relatively simple pipe, I will install this now but before painting. Then I can glue the complete ROFI after bonding the support brackets and then put the ladder on top of it. cool.gif
lVreXs.jpg
vB7h0n.jpg
And so does the fitting on the TSM, and I would think that fits quite well.
afT6E3.jpg
The rear bend of the pipe is still too long, and if you look closely, it looks as if the pipe in the middle slightly beveled to the TSM wall. undecided.gif
TLjzud.jpg
I could maybe adapt something. icon_thumb.gif
hallo.gif
  • Like 1

Hello,

I had already briefly explained on page 7, #132.

These are the the so-called Radially Outward Firing Ignitors (ROFI) for flaring possibly emanating hydrogen from the SSMEs, at T-10 sec be ignited before lift-off and sprinkle like burning sparklers, which can be seen at the beginning of this impressive video (YouTube) from Endeavour's final launch (STS-134). gut.gif

hallo.gif

• Like 1

Hello folks,

and here we go, the same parts I needed again for the second front ROFI. For the second base plate I first had to make a new punching tool,

6ZXqKK.jpg

and then bending the supply line and cutting rings for the union nuts. Before fitting the rings I have this slightly widened.

7FqNpn.jpg

4seDfB.jpg

And then I have the supply lines modified and adapted a bit.

DLaGuY.jpg

After that I have bent on the TSM-template the inner line from ​​0,4 mm copper wire, where I proceeded step by step. The difficulty here is that the supply line is relatively small and must be made two bends in tight spaces. flehan.gif

R6SRrK.jpg

Z4cFI7.jpg

Thus, the following bow of the line up was pretty tricky, because he could be only a skimpy millimeters. rolleyes.gif

YDOWbB.jpg

The line runs between the service hatch-box and the ladder, as seen here,

up041189.jpg

and this fits quite well so far. cool.gif

plc7UA.jpg

The next bow runs now right to the ROFI holder and is also relatively short.

7ofXVx.jpg

And now the last cut only follows, then this supply line is finished,

FfI8Yx.jpg

and can be tried together with the ROFI.

qyCua6.jpg

As you can see, the front end is still too long and needs to be filed down slightly. But as the two parts fit together already quite well. zustimm.gif

Now the same procedure is carried out only laterally reversed for the supply line at the LH2-ROFI as long as the work routines are fresh. cool.gif

hallo.gif

Mr. Bender,

Very nice details with the ROFI's!! Very fine work!
I had a question about the ladders that you have used in these photos. I know about compromising with materials and scale, so the question is just to bother you a bit. Sorry.

When I look at your NASA photos I have noticed the the ROFI, in the photo, is placed between the fourth and fifth ladder rungs. On the model, the ROFI is placed between the eighth and nineth rung!? It's just the PE ladders that you had nothing to do with the designing of. I just thought I should give you a hard time about it.

Great job, can't wait to see all the ROFI's installed and the TSM"s in place!! Keep modeling my friend!

Hi Rich,

thank you for your words of appreciation. :worthy:

Your eyes are still good, and you have correctly observed. But without my reference photo you had had no comparison and probably not noticed, right? But I show you these photos anyway, because I have no problem and no secrets, and everyone should be able to compare my model with the real thing at any time. cool.gif

But the explanation is quite simple, this difference is reduced to the PE ladders. While the width is about right and corresponds to the width of the service hatch-box, as you can see, the rung spacing is smaller than for the original ladder. But those are the compromises that I have to live, no problem. gut.gif

hallo.gif

Hi all together,
I would rather still remain on LOX-TSM and continue with the outer supply line of the rear ROFIs. It goes to the right and then in a double bend upward.
VEzILS.jpg
WRnakg.jpg
And here already together with the ROFI to the test on the template,
i9Ke8A.jpg
and here on the TSM.
As you can see, the line but hanging down above, whereby everything has slipped somewhat. rolleyes.gif This shows that these test fittings are quite a stressful affair already and not work the first time around. But one needs to check the situation of these small parts already accurate and correct if necessary, when everything has to fit together correctly later. flehan.gif
YB3bbV.jpg
By supporting this looks better. And now is missing only a short arc to the right up to the base plate.
86c2jR.jpg
From the arrangement it's okay, just above the line is slipping too far inwards, because there simply is missing support.
jiNiHI.jpg
H5cWxD.jpg
Now I must not forget winding up the union nuts, and then missing the base plate and a small bracket on the inner line. cool.gif
hallo.gif

Thanks Rich, and therefore on to the next round bending. cool.gif

Since the test fitting of the supply lines but was too stressful under the ladder at TSM, I have come up with another solution on the TSM template without a ladder and some balsa strips used as backing. Then, the lines can still place much easier and align. Because at these small dimensions one have to try a few times, whether agree the lengths and possibly correct the bends minimal until then everything fits properly. huh.gif

nBLOM1.jpg

As union nuts but I will now use the smaller rings, because they fit somehow better to the 0,4 mm copper wire, and also at the junction of the lines to the base plate is only very little space.

3SZS1Z.jpg

The threading of the rings was again as a test of patience ... rolleyes.gif

W5Ltyq.jpg

x0e49s.jpg

Here one can see that the rings form a contiguous region.

Kz6WID.jpg

The ROFI lines on LOX-TSM would be so far finished and could be painted. Therefore let us go on the LH2 TSM, only the lines are just reversed. rolleyes.gif

That was again the same procedure as on the other TSM and started with the bending of the lines on the TSM template.

HLatk9.jpg

LE4VcQ.jpg

While this may seem like a no-brainer, these hand grips require a full concentration, patience and tact. ja.gif

WWGGbF.jpg

d1uFpa.jpg

V1SJ9n.jpg

But as the first line already fits quite well to the holder. cool.gif

hallo.gif

• Like 2

It's almost time to send these to the paint shop, then install. I think these will look realy cool, and always, add more detail. If you think ahead, like I do, whats next? The water bags? Can't wait to see what comes next. Great jod Manfred!!

Hi Rich,

you hit the nail on the head, :banghead: I've already rung the paint shop up, the guys are waiting for my ROFI parts and mix even the colour. :yikes:

Thereafter, the ROFIs will be mounted, and the ladders be installed at the front of the TSMs.

And then I'll go back to the SSWS pipes and the water bags. 40.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

Hi all,

it is still not quite done, so continue with the nice ROFIs. And therefore once again previously the obligatory test fitting on LH2 TSM.

kFqSJg.jpg

y8wF0B.jpg

So, and these are now all ROFI parts that can now go to the paint shop.

xgfdmo.jpg

And so now to the ladders on the front of the TSMs, which indeed still missing, and for that I must first again glue the support brackets, of course, again with spacers, everything as usual ... rolleyes.gif

Ne0r2g.jpg

but with a tiny difference. The ladders on the front are longer and go down to the SSME-Blast Shield. Since there the service flap box is at the end, the lower support bracket can only stand on one leg, which one can see here.

CpkAfz.jpg

a5aAsw.jpg

But this is a fallacy, shocked.gif because on one leg can not stand long anyway, especially not secure enough. flehan.gif

Good thing I have ever looked closely. cool.gif Because as you can see on the next picture the ladder at the end is standing on two legs too, as it should be, only the support looks a little different.

The red arrows indicate the second last and the last strut pair, and the green arrow points to a support plate which is welded just above the Blast Shield on TSM. At this plate second strut is mounted, here still obscured by the thicker tube,

Y0WQkD.jpg

but as you can see better from the back. zustimm.gif

Qd8Wq9.jpg

So I have to modify the lower attachment still, accordingly, let's go the whole hog.

But for a positive feeling I ever get the front ladder and the ROFI placed provisionally,

3rnxbE.jpg

FAYTCw.jpg

what it looks quite passable, I think. :speak_cool:

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

Thanks for your nice words, I can understand what you mean. cool.gif

Hello folks,
this got me no peace left with the mounting of the ladder at the bottom. rolleyes.gif And because in my mind I'm already back at SSW, suddenly pictures attracted over in my mind's eye from the time before my brutal demolition of the SRB-Holes, cry.gif when I had already thought about myself intensively.
In NASATech.net there are great panoramic shots of the branched pipe system that is installed around the two SRB chambers. But much less images can be found by the pipes and spray nozzles which are arranged around the front SSME chamber because there usually the service platform is hanging in it which covers everything else. huh.gif
But then I got from a friend from the ARC Forum a few pictures without this platform where one can see the front pipe system very well. These images I have now tracked down, and they confirm my guess of this particular ladder support on the lowest rung. cool.gif
What is only hardly to see on the rear view,
Qd8Wq9.jpg
here in the side view is very nice to see in detail how the inner strut is attached to the triangular support bracket.
m3ybwU.jpg
And while looking at this image you can clearly see that the pipe coming from behind through this lower pair of struts up and runs behind the ladder to the right. shocked.gif And therefore I can attach this holder only after the installation of the lower pipe at the foot of TSMs. But postponed is not abandoned. icon_thumb.gif
So it can now go on with the support brackets for the ladder on the front of the LOX-TSM, here again with spacers,
oUyvtM.jpg
and here without.
m4CIQq.jpg
And also the test fitting of the ladder above the ROFI fits again.
2Tsc2N.jpg
DiiNfT.jpg
And now I can even look in the paint shop, whether the guys have already started, or still stiring the colour. n060.gif
hallo.gif

Actually, it would have been ready to start painting, but then a little detailI still noticed. rolleyes.gif

In this picture some time ago I had shown the additional rungs above the TSM-ladders, I've meanwhile upgraded.

up040569.jpg

However that is MLP-3 at the last Atlantis mission (STS-135) and not MLP-2, which was at the STS-6 in use and has some small differences. And one of them can be seen here in this image of the final mission of Endeavour (STS-134), when MLP-2 was also used.

g4q7Hr.jpg

Since there is an additional angled rung, so to speak, as a transition from the ladder to the top four rungs, and this rung can not be missed. icon_thumb.gif

And so see the sprouts from 0.2 mm brass wire.

YpWIeX.jpg

The location is a little tricky, because the rung with the angled foot is standing on the upper end of the box and the other a little lower on the TSM wall. At the point is hardly any space, but when I try my best, maybe it might work.

Therefore I have the holes again carefully prepunched in a proven manner with the acupuncture needle, here on the back of LH2 TSM.

3mMAyi.jpg

And here the rung already is in place.

QKfFTH.jpg

And on the front it has worked too.

EyTRbT.jpg

And here, finally, the rungs on the LOX-TSM.

Baoyww.jpg

EkFQA0.jpg

And thus all ROFI parts together with the rungs finally can go in the paintshop,

aAe9j1.jpg

the guys are waiting eagerly namely. cool.gif

hallo.gif

• Like 1

Beautifull work Manfred! It sure seems like it has been a long haul to get to this point, the paint boys have been waiting for like, about a year and a half to paint those ladders! LOL I know with a little prep work the TSM's will be installed, but I'm guessing not untill after the SSWS pipping and water bags have been finished. Really, we can't wait to see what you do next.

Beautifull work Manfred! It sure seems like it has been a long haul to get to this point, the paint boys have been waiting for like, about a year and a half to paint those ladders! LOL I know with a little prep work the TSM's will be installed, but I'm guessing not untill after the SSWS pipping and water bags have been finished. Really, we can't wait to see what you do next.

Thanks Rich,
you're still a prankster, but I really like your sense of humor. cool.gif
Imagine, after the first double-ROFI the gun was clogged and the guys have thrown the towel, holy cow!!! shocked.gif
Tomorrow they receive an official warning. icon_thumb.gif
hallo.gif

Dont worry ill keep watching, i am fascinated by this.

Thanks noeyedears for your nice words and continuing interest. :worthy:

Don't worry, I know how Rich means that, and so we make fun with each other frequently. 40.gif

BTW, but this tiny stuff is every day a new challenge, and sometimes there are for me still surprising insights when I discovered new special details such as this additional rung on MLP-2. And so there will be some more surprises on the TSMs, even though I thought I was already at the end. :analintruder:

So much I want to bespeak, since there are two tiny details that also interest me yet, let yourself be surprised and stay tuned ... up040577.gif

hallo.gif