Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hi Manfred,

Well it seems that you are between a rock and a hard place! I do not envy you on this one. The uneven surfaces will defenetly create a challange. But I know you are up to it, so full steam ahead!!

BTW, the TSM's look fantastic!

Hello folks,

today I once tried the transparent template and started the piercing for the support brackets on the LH2 TSM. In order to position the template exactly as possible next to the pipe bundle, I have them cut on one side about 1 mm from the pre-punctured row of holes,

bky2t.jpg

In order to reasonably safe handling, I had to put the TSM in a proven way flat and clamping the holding arbor in my special mount and additional support at the left end. :)

5g79.jpg

Then I first pre-punctured the outer base point for the lower support bracket 3 mm above the TSM bottom and fixed the template on one side with a steel wire (0.3 mm). After alignment of the template then the outer base point for the last upper support bracket was pre-punctured and also fixed with a steel wire.

In this position, I then carefully pre-punctured the remaining base points, so as not to slip. flehan.gif

oior.jpg

And this hole pattern was the result,

63z4.jpg

and so roughly, I had imagined the procedure, although a little tricky, but doable. :coolio:

1ltp.jpg

Then came the LOX TSM to the series. This has on the outside also a ladder with center strut, only the free space here fortunately is somewhat larger.

b34t.jpg

Otherwise the procedure is the same, so first marking the base points and then pre-puncture the holes with applied template.

ubzz.jpg

6cho.jpg

And here the first six of the nine support brackets are temporarily plugged.

m090.jpg

So far for today with the first piercing round. happy.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847
  • Like 2

MANFRED,

Great job on the placement of all these small suppot rungs! It makes me wonder where else you might have any piercings. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Hello folks,

despite the hot k.o. matches at the Soccer World Cup that keep me pretty from building, I want to send a small sign of life from the TSM building site and show that it continues, albeit slowly. cool.gif

After I started to insert the first six support brackets for the ladder on the outside of the LOX TSM, the missing three supports are now temporarily plugged that are not yet glued in order to test the ladder fit.

l91r6.jpg

nxw95.jpg

And with the ladder placed it actually looks quite good, I think.

z3q3v.jpg

Although the seat is still not precisely fixed, the distances between the support brackets agree quite well with the rungs, respectively, and that makes me hopeful for the final assembly after painting. zustimm.gif

kp0v.jpg

Speaking of paintwork, the guys in the paintshop but have actually made an operational break to let supposedly change the filters. rolleyes.gif

Well, who's believed ... World Cup is only every four years. 40.gif

smilie_flag_396.gif

• Like 2

Hello all together,
in order to bridge the time before the semi-final showdown against Brazil tonight, here a few quick pictures of the other ladder preparations. After I made the fitting of the ladder on the LOX TSM yesterday, here is the test on the LH2 TSM. For this, the support brackets were inserted into the pre-punctured holes again and their height balanced with the spacer profile.
yksn3.jpg
And this ladder lies good so far on the support, as you can see. cool.gif
g3ku.jpg
So, now I must come to the ladders on the service-flap boxes, which are much less accessible for marking the holes of the supports with the help of my template. rolleyes.gif To place the template on the narrow boxes similar to the side faces,
up040135.jpg
I had to devise a suitable support for the TSM again. So I've made ​​two spacer blocks made ​​of balsa, a longer part that fits with height just below the box, and a second part as support on the TSM top. The lower side is as usual fixed by the holding mandrel clamped in the vise.
prxb6.jpg
And so the TSM should then lie reasonably stable to apply the template and pre-puncture which each 12 holes for the support brackets, because a little pressure is necessary to apply when pre-puncturing the holes in the balsa core. 70.gif
i1mk9.jpg
That is all for today.
And last not least, our Team Germany has made ​​history tonight and sensational sent home the host Brazil 7:1, unbelievable but true!!!
national.gifF I N A L
Thank you friends for the fingers crossed. two_thumbs.gif
smilie_flag_396.gif
  • Like 3

Hello dear friends,

thank you once again for all the good wishes and congratulations. 377.gif377.gif377.gif

On days like this, one wishes for infinity ... whistle.gif

14bc7f.jpg

In this sense, cheers on a horny World Cup with our team and the 4th star!271.gif

BTW, there is still place for the 5th star ... cool.gif

smilie_flag_396.gif

• Like 2

Thats right, where's our beer? Cheers to Germany's win. Five stars next time!!

Thanks Rich,

you know, we would like to drink together with you, so let us drink to your health! 271.gif

hallo.gif

I hope that horny means something different in Germany to what it does in the UK.......... :)

Graham

Graham,

I hope you understand what I mean, if not, you can translate it with fantastic, outstanding, amazing, cool, awesome, overwhelming, that's just an expression of pure joy ... gut.gif

hallo.gif

Hello all together,

yep, hard to believe but there is actually also a life after the awesome World Cup, and therefore it should now go on totally relaxed, especially since nobody can take away from us the 4th star. cool.gif

And so now to the final countdown with the TSM ladders on the service-flap boxes, at which I am afraid that their assembly probably could be a little tricky because of the different lengths of the support brackets. flehan.gif

Here you can see both TSMs with on-hook ladders, and if you look closely, perhaps can be seen that the ladder on the right TSM is longer than the left, and this has its good reason. up034424.gif

855825.jpg

How fortunate that I have again looked at the original photos exactly, because the four PE ladders for the boxes I had already cut, and indeed all of the same length, and I've been always emanated from this image here. rolleyes.gif

18d2fc.jpg

Source: NASA

As can be seen on the ladders extend on the rear of the TSMs approximately over the length of the boxes, since the pipes of the SSWS run underneath.

But on the TSM front the ladders extend up to just above the SSME Blast Shield and are thus a bit longer, which I only now became really clear. doh.gif

bcf568.jpg

Just as well that I have compared again and was able to correct. happy.gif

Next, I've made two sketches with the positions of the base points of the support brackets for the front side (left) and back side (right),

92b0fc.jpg

and thus created transparent templates for puncturing the holes for the base points.

ca0897.jpg

With the the template for the front side then I punched out the two outer base points and located it with pins.

411f46.jpg

Then I've punched out the remaining four holes on the box.

69697e.jpg

But now came the more complicated part of the exercise, the puncturing of the holes behind the box. flehan.gif In order to avoid any possible shift of the template, I have first fastened it in the holes on the box with acupuncture needles (0.2 mm). Then I've gently punctured the holes behind the box.

722f54.jpg

Then I trial basis plugged into the first support bracket, which can be seen here with the spacer,

1d14ab.jpg

and here now freestanding.

a3cf72.jpg

Well, that was actually a pretty tricky business, but all in all quite feasible. zustimm.gif Long enough I had fiddled at the solution, now I have to repeat the same act "only" three more times ... up035091.gif

hallo.gif

• Like 1

Yep noeyedears,

I would not even let me dream at first, but the more difficult the situation, the greater the challenge for me for finding a solution.

Nothing is impossible. gut.gif

hallo.gif

Hi folks,

it still goes on with the ladders, on and on ... rolleyes.gif

Today, I have now tried on the remaining 5 support brackets on the front, but I can tell you, my nerves are slowly bare. shocked.gif

As has been found out quickly, the holes punctured with the 0.2 mm diameter acupuncture needles were too small for the insertion of the 0.2 mm support brackets, so funny as that may sound. But there is just not enough clearance for moving the longer and the shorter bracket legs into it. gr_hail.gif

On the one hand, on the other hand I also had to find that the holes were not punctured deep enough so that the brackets could not be pushed far enough up on the spacer (1 mm), and have been partially bent. w00t.gif

That's why I then used a steel wire (0.3 mm) and punctured the holes a little bit deeper into the balsa core, after which the insertion of the brackets was a little easier. But still you have to be extremely careful here that you do not bend those thin things.

4f5575.jpg

You need just for everything only a certain amount of practice, but as soon as I luckily give not up. BANGHEAD2.jpg

00b8bc.jpg

And in the end I still have placed the ladder in order to get an overall impression. And ever seen but not bad, right? undecided.gif

266568.jpg

But, all this was only just dry firing, rolleyes.gif the sticking of the supports and of the ladders with CA glue after painting then certainly becomes the highlight, before I shudder to think already now ...

omgsign.gif

But since I have to go through, no matter what the cost ... BANGHEAD2.jpg

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

Hello together,

above each ladder on the boxes, there are still these additional 4 rungs here, making a total of 16. And these rungs I'll still need to install before mounting the ladders, as long as I can lay down the boxes on the balsa block. Because if they are then attached only once, nothing more is with touch or lay down. :rolleyes:

9a9699.jpg

Also for these rungs I made myself a little template for puncturing the holes, because as from the cupped hand is nothing at 2 mm sprouts width and 2 mm spacing.

GqIZSo.jpg

And then I have bent the 16 rungs from 0.2 mm brass wire.

taULcr.jpg

Then came the tricky application of the template and puncturing the holes, but this time all in the smallest space. As you come quite nicely into trouble with the needles, as you can see. shocked.gif

sxqo5V.jpg

And here are the first four rungs are trial basis inserted.

WNd78h.jpg

Dealing with these tiny rungs in the tweezers is somewhat arduous, and before you know it, a rung is sometimes disappeared never to be seen again, but with the necessary calm and patience that's still doable. cool.gif

As far as short for today, then all a great weekend!

hallo.gif

• Like 3

Hi there,

now also the back of the LOX TSM got adapted the four upper rungs.

9wBQ7n.jpg

That's it for today. zustimm.gif

I'm today namely stumbled upon picture material from the first shuttle years (1981-85), which I did not know, and had naturally to spot and then back up what even so takes time. rolleyes.gif

hallo.gif

These things take time Manfred, do your research and show us your great modeling skills when your ready.

Hello friends,

on the merry acupuncture! Caution, today it's really going under the skin! cool.gif There is missing still a lot of holes for the support brackets and rungs to the TSMs, and since only help acupuncture needles and a steady hand! shocked.gif

Since these fine needles (Ø 0.15 mm) can bend it very easily when puncturing the holes, it is advisable to puncture first with a slightly thicker needle (Ø 0.25 mm) in a solid holder, and then the applied transparent template with the acupuncture needles to fix hole for hole. With the stiffer needle in the holder succeeds much better, especially the holes behind the box perpendicular puncture down and not obliquely to put what is important for uniform spacing of the rungs-foot points. rolleyes.gif
ORC3j2.jpg
On the front of the LH2 TSM I had started this ordeal, and therefore it was now with the acupuncture fresh and lively on the back on a total of 12 needles for the 6 support brackets of the ladder.
WZhogA.jpg
And here's the same procedure on the front of the LOX TSM, but the differences presumably probably will not notice,
5L8ULv.jpg
and here on the back.
fIqjzH.jpg
It is important to sufficiently deep redo the holes, in order to later facilitate the insertion of the support brackets, here on the front of the LOX TSM,
B9tQsX.jpg
and here on the back.
8AfZ8d.jpg
I know that these images are quite confusing and your patience have put to a severe test. flehan.gif
But that's still not enough, now there are the holes for the missing rungs on the LH2 TSM, both on the front,
APuEEF.jpg
and on the back. rolleyes.gif
ZUeSY1.jpg
So, folks, I hope that it doesn't tweak somewhere under your skin, but it's now the end of the acupuncture spook, and if I have not miscounted, that was a total of 52 holes. omgsign.gif
Okay, I'd have you also can save all and should present only the fully assembled ladders, but then you would have escaped some of my stress and strains. gut.gif
BTW, I now have during posting itself must be careful to not confound the images because of the many needles ... happy.gif
hallo.gif
  • Like 2