Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hi all together,

I've seen great Real Space Modeling projects in your forum.
:coolio: Therefore I want to point out you on my major project. I decided for the STS-6-Mission with the Challenger (04.04.1983) as guidance version for my build, as you can see here in the following image of the Launch Pad 39A with the Challenger before the start to the STS-6 mission.

sts6.jpg
Source: retrospaceimages.com

To be built is the Launch Pad 39A with Launch tower, Shuttle stack, as well as Mobile launcher platform (MLP) and Crawler transporter (CT). Basic module for my project is the old Revell kit 4911 in 1:144.

In addition of the launch tower FSS I will use the Detail kits of LVM Studios. The LVM kits contain photo etched parts (PE) from thin brass sheet metal, with which very finely detailed structures can be produced as well known.

For building MLP and Crawler I use the cardboard-model kits by David Maier from EDU-Craft Deversions in scale 1:144. The kits consist in each case of 13 colored building sheets of cardboard (27.5 cm x 42.5 cm) as well as a building guidance on CD-ROM.

If you are interested in the beginning of my progress report you can look
here in the ARC Discussion Forums.

Manfred

Edited by roma847
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I think the link you want for ARC is this one: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=246711

This is an incredible build! I love the way you use a cardboard model as the basis for the build and then add all the details on top! The most recent photos with lighting are astonishing!

Thanks Kallisti for your nice words,

yep, the ARC link was wrong, as I have noticed just today, sorry. :worthy:  But you can also follow the thread in NSF Forums.

BTW, if you or other guys have any feedback or questions, you can also post here and I'll answer you. zustimm.gif

Hello Guys,

so the Launch pad could look later ... shocked.gif

up031630.jpg

Source: NASA

Only some of the pics with my lighting experiments. gut.gif

First I have started with these tiny Pure White LEDs (0401),

iiyh.jpg

you can see here on the middle Access Platform. But according to my taste the cold white light looks pretty unrealistic. Bild

4llq.jpg

Therefore then I've tried warm white LEDs on the left Access Platform, far left Golden White and beside Sunny White, what looks much more better. cool.gif

2s96.jpg

Meanwhile, I have decided on the warm light of the Sunny White LEDs that I will use. gut.gif

l5gk.jpg

fu9n.jpg

bzew.jpg

d68e.jpg

This should only be a small overview for the curious. zustimm.gif

Bye for now.

• Like 22

Good to see the update on here Manfred, been following this superbly detailed build :yikes: . I reckon you have another year or 2 before it's finished such is the level of perfection, keep it up.

Thanks Jay for your nice words, :worthy:

I don't know exactly, fortunately I have no deadline. But I could think more like two years, it has to be with all these details, LVM PE-Detail Kits No. 1-5 and especially lighting. gut.gif

Only the FSS Tower will have more than 100 LED lamps, shocked.gif what will be a major challenge, or better say Modeling madness ... omgsign.gif

up037535.jpg

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Now I've got also the red LEDs (0401), and therefore I have made a first test.

m5uq.jpg

These LEDs I want to use for the caution lights (beacons).

5e1n.jpg

Source: NASA

And so there was suddenly a practice alarm without warning,

tj17.jpg

only they do not blink, but this is also provided. gut.gif

Well, now I'm going to dismount the Pure White LEDs and replace by the Sunny White. And now the lampshades have to get the finishing touch and paint before they go into the electrical workshop. zustimm.gif

So boredom can not arise, it is going round ... :yikes:

• Like 5

Hello together,

and thanks guys for your nice words.

After a light spring fatigue I have browsing in the meantime, some older images sources according to the hazard warning lights. But somehow I have not the right clarity, as with these red and/or yellow beacons of those days back in the STS-6 on MLP-2. :rolleyes:

So far, my friends from the NSF Forum unfortunately could not help me too, but I stumbled across a very interesting thread that makes me high hopes. So I have found a contemporary witness (39B), who has worked at the time during the reconstruction and modification of the Pad 39B there and has been reported about in detail with although partially slightly yellowed, but still great photo scans. Maybe he can answer my special questions. :coolio:

Since I now know the lamps pretty good on the FSS and the MLP, I have now started, the lights on the RSS to look a little closer. And this my standard reference photo is again a good overview.

dqad.jpg

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

And as you can see it, there are the same lamps are mounted as in MLP with the classic lampshades.  up035091.gif

fjxs.jpg

On the newer "old" photos the lamp shape becomes even clearer as the following pictures show.

2mj1.jpg

ytuk.jpg

Source: J. MacLaren (39B) NASASpaceflight.com

And so I can use my recent lampshades from the ferrules for the RSS lamps.  a040.gif

Of course I've tried and picked out the lamps from the Revell kit.

up038048.jpg

These are the arc lamps here, of which 40 pcs. are included in the kit, but they were never installed in this spherical shape on the pads. :analintruder:

kbzg.jpg

And that's why I like my screen lamps but much better,

bkqv.jpg

or what do you think?

4aok.jpg

Okay, the arcs are 1 mm in diameter, what's a little too strong, but I would anyway prefer to use a thinner brass tube in order to thread the LED wires still.  a040.gif

cw5s.jpg

So long for now.
  • Like 3

Yup, like the modified lamps.

To get a thinner tube you could use the actual metal tube as the return conductor so that you only have to thread one wire through the tube.

• Like 1

Thanks Kallisti,

this is possible in principle, but should only be very cumbersome. :analintruder: For this I first have to solder every negative pole of the LEDs to the brass tubes and then connect each brass tube by a soldered wire to the next, and that is certainly a major effort.

Since it is much easier to pull the two wires from LED through the tube, in this test this is brass tube 0,7 mm in diameter with 0,25 mm wires. :coolio:

up038780.jpg

Right?

• Like 3

This is stunning work. :worthy: I'm seriously contemplating the card model you're basing this off, as it's just so much better than the comparative "blob" that comes with the kit. Keep up the good work :clap2: