- Dornier Do 17 Z 2

Your "Flying pencil" German light bomber is gorgeous... especially like the weathering and finish.

Another impressive build. Great work. Thank you for sharing.

Karen

• Like 1

There is a lot to like in that, your colours look spot on to my eye, it'd be good to know whose & what you used for them. I'm not normally a fan of preshading but in this case I can see it has added something to the final result. Very nice indeed.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

There is a lot to like in that, your colours look spot on to my eye, it'd be good to know whose & what you used for them. I'm not normally a fan of preshading but in this case I can see it has added something to the final result. Very nice indeed.

Steve.

- Hi Steve, -- My favourite paints are acrylics paints like Tamiya, Mr Hobby or Gunze, I does not use pre shading, I have better spray a lighter tone of the original color on each panels and then spray a darker color by specks or spots over the whole, then a spray of Klir, the equivalent of Future in this country to apply decals then an Xtracolor matt varnish over the whole, this varnish is a bit too thick so I thin it with white spirit, I like it because it is really matt.

-Instead of wash I use a permanent black ink fine pencil in the panels lines and to finish I use Tamiya weathering powders according to the color of the basic camo scheme.

-When metal has to show under the camo paint I first spray a metallic color, avoiding Alclad for this part of the job( as the acrylic camo paint is more difficult to scratch over an alclad background than overan other else.) to simulate the metal uder the camo.

- The matt varnih has a tendency to darken the shade of the paint so it add to the weathering effect.

- Friendly.J.M

Edited by IPMS19
  • Like 1

JM, thanks for letting me into your secrets, they are soooo effective, real masterclass stuff. Not only the third picture but the whole lot look like the real thing to me & there can be no greater achievement in modelling to my mind. I salute you. Mind you, the photos aren't so bad either ;)

Steve.

• Like 1