foiling a 1/72 mustang!

foureyes

This is not really intended to be a proper wip. It's a sort of trial run for a 1/32 kawasaki ki-61 that I want to foil. I have tried various metal effect paints in the past and wanted to try and get a little more of a realistic finish. I have started with the foiling straight away because it calls for a fair amount of man-handling to get it stuck and burnished. I am using cheap sticky foil tape from wickes. I have started with panels that don't overlap onto another piece as these will be done after I have stuck various others together. From what i have read, if you can, It's best to run a whole piece over leading edges, and joints to the next panel line on the other piece. If that makes sense? Started but cutting easily manageable pieces and applying them just over the panels I want to cover. Then trimming them carefully to fit with a very sharp scalpel. Polishing them with a piece of steel. The steel is a arm from a bulldog clip! Small, smooth and gives a really high shine. I am just experimenting at the moment as i don't want to ruin a fifty quid plus model. IMAG0523.jpgIMAG0524.jpgIMAG0525.jpg

If anyone can give me any tips or help I would be very grateful.

Kev

Hi, it looks good to me, this might help http://www.oldmodelk...-by-ken-friend/

also this on here http://www.britmodel...opic=27630 and this http://www.britmodel...showtopic=13996

please continue to post progress as I also have a P51 and an F86 I want to do in foil. If it goes wrong there is also this http://www.ipmsstock...ng_tech_nmf.htm

Edited by Bari
  • Like 1

Hi, it looks good to me, this might help http://www.oldmodelk...-by-ken-friend/

also this on here http://www.britmodel....opic=27630 and this http://www.britmodel...showtopic=13996

please continue to post progress as I also have a P51 and an F86 I want to do in foil. If it goes wrong there is also this http://www.ipmsstock...ng_tech_nmf.htm

Some top tips there, thanks for posting them.

Duncan B

Thanks for those Links. They are exactly what I was after. I have found that this foil I am using is quite robust. If you overlap it you can almost sand it thin enough not to notice. Awesome for complex surfaces where one sheet would tear. Also depending on what you use to buff it you can change its appearance completely. On the pics I posted I used the steel ARM of a bulldog clip. Which gives a highly polished effect. A eraser gives a slightly matt effect. Green pan scouring pad gives a brushed aluminium look. And a lead pencil makes it quite dark. Still playing.

Kev

Edited by foureyes
  • Like 2

looks good to me mate

another tip - to get different shades of metal, try boiling some of your metal foil with some egg shells or some copper coins for a few mins (works well with simple kitchen foil, not yet tried with sticky-backed metal foil) - especially good for areas such as around jet exhausts

Tonight I have covered some more of the wings. And have been playing around with different finishes. In these pics i have rubbed the surface with a glass fibre pen. The pop up ones you see in most model shops and make you itch like crazy!!!!!. Still finding bits in my fingers! This to me looks a bit more natural than the smooth reflective look in the earlier pics.. but i am not 100% sure. It anyone thinks either is better please post an answer. It polishes right back up again in no time so no worries about changing it. IMAG0529.jpgIMAG0530.jpgIMAG0531-1.jpgIMAG0532-1.jpg

It will take a coat of future so I will be able to weather it after its done. Look forward to your thoughts.

Kev

Edited by foureyes

Kev, as much as I admire your work and the foil does look mighty impressive have you tried Humbrol No. 11 from a spray can..... its got a good dull shine from it and can look the part.

Might save you a bit of time, however I like the look your going doubt I could cope with even doing my meteor in foil....

Jim.

Kev, as much as I admire your work and the foil does look mighty impressive have you tried Humbrol No. 11 from a spray can..... its got a good dull shine from it and can look the part.

Might save you a bit of time, however I like the look your going doubt I could cope with even doing my meteor in foil....

Jim.

I haven't used the humbrol but have tried the tamiya metalics and alclad. I just fancied trying this to see what its like really. Plus it cold out side and I don't want to spray smelly stuff inside the house!! Plus the wife moans when the compressor is chugging. This way I make some quiet, odorless progress without any "phwoor that stinks.." or "shhh. I can't hear what Ant and Dec are saying"

Kev

• Like 1

Looks great to me, some good tips here.

I am doing a 1/48 EE Lightning and was thinking about foiling the intake ring on the nose as it always seems to be much shinier than the rest of the aircraft. May use Humbrol 11 for the rest though.

cheers

Simon

I've used both Bare Metal Foil and normal kitchen foil, as well as pewter sheet on natural metal finishes. I like the effect of the Bare Metal Foil, but it is expensive at £5.00 a sheet, and extremely easy to tear if you aren't careful. I also found that it likes to lift at the edges after application - so I tend to glue the edges down to give some extra adhesion.

For applying metal foil (ie kitchen foil, pewter sheet etc) I use Micro Metal Foil Adhesive - made by the same people who manufacture Micro Sol / Set:

metalfoilad.jpg

If you persevere, and make sure to get some different textures & finishes on your aircraft, the effect can be extremely realistic.

Really coming on well, I thought you was mad when you started, but you clearly know what you're doing :)

No. you are right... I am mad.

Here's a bit more of the wing. All stuck together and foiled the leading edge and tips. Not to pretty in places and a few patches will need a touch up later.

IMAG0533-1-1-1.jpg

Kev

I've used both Bare Metal Foil and normal kitchen foil, as well as pewter sheet on natural metal finishes. I like the effect of the Bare Metal Foil, but it is expensive at £5.00 a sheet, and extremely easy to tear if you aren't careful. I also found that it likes to lift at the edges after application - so I tend to glue the edges down to give some extra adhesion.

For applying metal foil (ie kitchen foil, pewter sheet etc) I use Micro Metal Foil Adhesive - made by the same people who manufacture Micro Sol / Set:

metalfoilad.jpg

If you persevere, and make sure to get some different textures & finishes on your aircraft, the effect can be extremely realistic.

If I like how this ends up I will invest in the proper stuff. Like I said this is the cheap foil tape from wickes. About three quid for a huge ten meter roll. It's probably a bit industrial for this purpose but it will stand me in good stead for later projects. I have used the stuff for masking canopys in the past and it was hanging around in my build box and i just thought hey Ho I will give it a go.

Kev

I have finished the wings. Not hugely happy with them but wrinkled around the cannons and tips. But for a first time practice they are not bad. The foil is definitely too thick. For 1/72 anyway. Done some more on the wing root too. IMAG0537.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

Thanks for looking

Kev

Foiled, eh? Bet you'd have got away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

Looking seriously excellent so far.