Jaguar A (Kitty Hawk 1:48) - Out of the Box Build Review

Mike

Progressing well Mike! Talking of rudders, have Kitty Hawk included the rudder damper that is fitted to single-seat Jags? Airfix missed it out of thelr rendition.

Cheers.

Graham

Not sure if the rudder dampers were fitted to french aircraft. Rumour always had it that they were ex-Lightning components

John

Interesting idea to use CA rather than poly cement to join the halves. Do you use the thick stuff? I'd be keen to try this, I always end up with a step when I join two flat surfaces.

Builds coming on nicely by the way!!

Edited by SaintsPhil

Rudder size remained constant throughout the life of the aircraft

Thanks John - I need to check my refs then to see if the rudder is long enough. It's certainly shorter than the Airfix incarnation :hmmm:

Progressing well Mike! Talking of rudders, have Kitty Hawk included the rudder damper that is fitted to single-seat Jags? Airfix missed it out of thelr rendition.

No rudder damper, so I'll check that when I'm scoping out the rudder height :)

Interesting idea to use CA rather than poly cement to join the halves. Do you use the thick stuff? I'd be keen to try this, I always end up with a step when I join two flat surfaces.

I've used that technique a few times now, and it speeds up the process of closing up and cleaning up the joints, because you don't have to wait for the glue to cure, and you're filling at the same time you're closing up :)

What colour/shade have you used for the "yellow" interiors? It looks spot on from here.

Thanks for the confirmation Phil - I mixed it up myself from a couple of Vallejo shades to match a pot of WEM enamels I have, mainly because I didn't want to wait for enamels to cure. I can give you the shades and my rough mixture later if you like, when I get an opportunity to get in the workshop :)

Thanks for all the kind comments folks ;)

You're right John. Just did a Google image search and they are not fitted. Hope the GR.1/3 boxing has it added.

Graham

Not sure if the rudder dampers were fitted to french aircraft. Rumour always had it that they were ex-Lightning components

John

That wing leading edge (post no.120) still looks a bit odd to me. Am I missing something obvious - like, will the leading-edge surfaces deal with the apparent kink at their inner end?

You're not mistaken, the leading edge is a constant profile ie the No 1 L/e panel (most inboard one) should blend into the remainder of the L/E panels. It will probably be hidden when the slats are installed (either up or deployed) but will have to see what the end result is.

John

You might be asking for the moon there Den, but hey... you never know ;)

As promised, here's my formula for acrylic Zinc-Chromate primer a la Vallejo

2 drops 70954 Yellow Green

2 drops 70827 Lime Green

1 Drop 341 Flesh

That's only an approximation, and add flesh to taste ( :owww: ), as I just felt it needed a little tinge of brown after mixing the two yellow-greens together. HTH :)

You are doing some good work with what looks like a great model. I just wish they would release, never mind a 1/32, I would love to do one of these in 1/16 scale. i magine the amount of detail you could scratch build at that size.

We can dream :)

I've been fettling seams today, in between other stuff, with a bit of sand/prime/repeat going on, plus painting up the coaming, HUD and the inside of the panel between the engines underneath. I've also been looking at the wings in terms of construction, and have puttied a few small sink marks and ejector pin marks on the various parts. Nothing too major, just tidying things up :) It's not worth posting any pics until I have more to show. :tumble:

You are doing some good work with what looks like a great model. I just wish they would release, never mind a 1/32, I would love to do one of these in 1/16 scale. i magine the amount of detail you could scratch build at that size.

No need to imagine http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234916349&hl=

Dan

Thanks John - I need to check my refs then to see if the rudder is long enough. It's certainly shorter than the Airfix incarnation :hmmm:

No rudder damper, so I'll check that when I'm scoping out the rudder height :)

Hello Mike!

Great work, I'm french and following you ;-) as I still not have putting my hands on...

I 'm posting that picture which can of any help, on the left: the protoype, right is the definitive rudder:

570402driveJag.jpg

do not hesitate if more needed!

raf

Thanks for that pic Raf - it seems that the rudder is about 2mm too short in da vertical. No problem - I marked out the correct line with a knife cut, ran my razor saw down it to free up that section, put some deep knife cuts extending the rudder hinge-line, slipped a piece of 0.5mm strip in between the original rudder top and fin, glued it all up in alignment and will sand it down once the glue is cured. It's a shame the line was in the wrong place, but it's not the most difficult thing to fix ;)

I've been fettling today. Blending in the intakes to the fuselage, which needed about 0.5mm removing from their splitter plates to make for a better join. I've also finally installed the skin panel between the engine bays, and fettled the starboard engine bay cover panel for a better fit. That involved putting some tiny shims around the upper fuselage join, just to tidy that up, and packing pieces on the inside to get a nice flush fit without fiddling with it while the glue sets. The bulkhead also needed a little stack of between 0 and 1mm of styrene sheet adding to close up the joint between the panel and the bulkhead, which is a problem that wouldn't have occurred if I'd decided to model them open.

In future Kitty Hawk kits, I'd like to see parts that allow the modeller to do this job a little easier - especially things like flaps and so forth. Parts to model it open, and parts to model it closed. Closing the flaps and slats on this kit will involve a lot of work, as it's all been designed to be "hanging out". :)

I'll post up some pics in a minute.

Hopefully soon - just fettling a few things before the camera comes out :)

Incidentally - are the internals of the flaps & slats likely to still be painted primer, or will they be the same colour as the outer skin? :hmmm:

This is great Mike! I'm now settled in the new abode and getting sorted out. Obviously chose the new house due to the living accommodation, nothing to do with a dedicated modelling quarters in the garage downstairs!!

I've got six of the Airfix 1/48th Jags (don't ask!!) and how easy would it be to graft the airfix nose onto the KH kit? Or is that just silly...?

Well seeing as the Kitty Hawk kit has a separate nose, you should be able to do that quite easily. Whether it'd fit or not is moot! :lol: But seriously... why not just wait for the British Jags of the 1 and 2 seat variety... they're coming! :)

Update: Fuselage width at the cockpit sill is the same. Height looks similar if not the same. Both done with micrometers, just can't be accurate with the height one due to the slight slope on the cockpit sill.

Another update. The height of the fuselage at the front of the windscreen is the same... +-1mm due to my inexact measuring.

BTW - I have an Airfix kits sat on my desk next to the KH kit while I'm building it. Took me months to get the Airfix kit to the same stage I have my KH one now. :shrug:

OK cheers for the info. Shame that I stockpiled them thinking they would surely be the only game in town. And the two Paragon T.2 sets, Aeroclub etched etc... Oh well, should've built them when I brought them!