Jaguar A (Kitty Hawk 1:48) - Out of the Box Build Review

Mike

Looks great Mike, I never did find them photos either and I looked long and hard for them again, god knows what forum/site they were on, never mind though you've got the weathering down to a tee anyway!

I'm with Colin on the Sunderland remark too... you did say you'll do a prop next? ;)

Well, I blame you lot for starting me off again on this one. I've unmasked the various open bays and assessed the damage (the APU part came out with the blutak! :owww: ). Not too bad, but there were a couple of panels I wanted to clean and retouch underneath, as the white/silver mix didn't take too well and ended up lifting in big chunks when I unmasked the demarcation. I scraped and sanded them back to plastic and sprayed a random silvery shade in to make them look like a repaint or replacement part. There was no point in even trying to match them up, as it was a custom mix originally. I widened the holes in the back of the Paragon wheels with a 1.6mm bit, and glued those on too, while I marshalled all the parts that are left over. I'll have to take a trip back through the thread to see what load-out I was planning, as I have a couple of pods and a couple of big white missiles all painted up and decaled here. :hmmm:

Pics of the work today:

airframe1.jpg

airframe2.jpg

I'll matt down the weapons and the nose gear doors next, and then try and find the instructions to see what I've yet to do. I also need to find a replacement for the blade aerial that sits between the engines, as that's gone walkabout over time :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think I'm going to go with this load-out in the end. Screw the AS.37s and such.

11-ev_1.jpg

I can make out the Barracuda pod on the outer pylon on the right of the pic, but I'm not 100% on what's on the outer left? Also, with those just being dumb bombs, would I need an ATLIS pod on the middle pylon? Gas bag instead?

Scwew it... found a gas bag on the F.1 sprues, and have pinched that, so I just ned that missile identifying, if someone would be so kind? :) I'm building the parts up, including the dual adapters for the 250kg bombs, although they look a little skinny compared to that photo. Those aren't 500kg bombs are they? :hmmm:

The Missile on the outer right (left in the pic) is a Matra Magic II, the ATLIS pod is only needed for laser guided munitions.

Cheers fella - just couldn't recognise it head-on like that. A spare from the Jag Gr.1/3 boxing will do there :)

Building bombs and drop tanks as we speak Dave. Need to spray the bomb carriers a silvery colour next, and give the dumb bombs another light coat of RLM83 as the base coat of the greeny colour.

I've managed to cobble together the weapons load from left-overs on the sprues of the KH Mirage F.1B, which is handy... here they are with their base coats applied. The drop tank was painted gloss black, then polished aluminium with a view to chipping the nose paint off later, the bombs were painted yellow, a piece of 1mm Tamiya tape wrapped round the nose and a coat of Gunze RLM83 overcoated lightly to avoid runs under the tape, while the bomb carriers and missile adapter rail were painted a mixture of Aclad White Primer and Airframe Aluminium that gives a nice pale silvery colour. The Magic II was given a coat of yellow, masked, then a coat of red brown, masked and then white. I hand painted the grey nose cone you can't see in the picture :doh: They've just had a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss and will be given a wash of Mig Neutral wash later once I've painted the gas bag its final colour.

weapons1.jpg

I managed to almost finish the weapons, with a bit of dusty weathering of the small bombs using some Mig pigments, a quick last-minute repair of two holes under the bomb carriers to hide them, and a matt coat on everything but the Magic II to give it a bit of stand-out factor. The final coat of the drop tank was lightened on the upper side, and then washed with neutral wash, given a bit of a scraping to take off some paint here and there (plenty of evidence for significant chipping online), and some pigments brushed around to dirty it up, which was all sealed in with some Alclad Klear Kote Flat. Mating points had the paint scraped off, and everything was glued together using CA for speed. The Magic, rail and pylon are actually all pinned together with 0.8mm brass rod, so shouldn't come adrift from eachother soon, as is the Barracuda pod. There wasn't enough meat on the attachment point for the bombs, so they're just glued on.

weapons2.jpg

I've painted up all the small retractor jacks for the various opening panels, plus the little probes on the nose, which had been damaged on the sprue due to poor layout that put a lot of stress on them when the sprue flexed. I aero-profiled some styrene strip, cut two pieces to match the correct angle, and glued some 0.5mm rod on the tops. I doubt anyone will notice, as they look very like the one remaining kit part, which had to be glued back together before it could be used as a pattern.

I'm going to review the weathering of the airframe next, and once I'm happy with it, I'll start putting on bay doors, jacks and then the weapons pylons. There's an outside possibility this one might get finished! :shocked:

• Like 4

Looking great Mike - the weathering on the weapon load looks really subtle and spot on.

Can I ask which pigments you use and how to apply them? I've never ventured into these but seeing the results you get I think it's time I did!

Thanks,

Tom

PS: It's great to see this build underway again... I was worried the shelf of doom was reluctant to relinquish its latest victim ;)

Cheers :)

Tom - I use Mig pigments, and was lucky enough to get them cheaply before the price hike a few years ago. They're a very useful tool to have lurking in the toolbox, and although the initial outlay is quite high, the bottles will last ages unless you're constantly weathering muddy vehicles and such like with them :)

Cheers :)

Tom - I use Mig pigments, and was lucky enough to get them cheaply before the price hike a few years ago. They're a very useful tool to have lurking in the toolbox, and although the initial outlay is quite high, the bottles will last ages unless you're constantly weathering muddy vehicles and such like with them :)

Thanks Mike - I'll keep my eyes peeled at Telford then...

Tom

I'm calling this finished. I could go on with the weathering for another couple of days, but I think I'm reaching burn-out with it again, so here it is.

complete1.jpg

The rest of the pics can be seen here - thanks for watching ;)

• Like 7