Jaguar A (Kitty Hawk 1:48) - Out of the Box Build Review

Mike

:lol: Gimme a break Mr Song! I've had to move servers, do reviews and over the weekend I had to reinstall my workshop PC after it stopped booting :crying: Mig-25 you say? That has just made it to the top of my build queue ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks Steve - very nice of you :)

The technique isn't new, or mine, I just picked it up all over the place. I'll try & remember what I did:

• Spray the basic colour (out of the tin as it were) all over in a continuous flat coat
  • Carefully freehand the darker camo colour over the top & touch up where necessary
  • Lighten the basic colours with a paler shade (in this case I used Elfbein added to each colour - a creamy bone colour used in German tanks), being careful to not make the colour contrast too much
  • When doing the step above, try & think where the sunlight would strike the aircraft "hardest", and lighten those areas most.
  • Clear gloss, decal & clear gloss again
  • Mig neutral wash (or whatever wash shows up but doesn't scream "black lines!!!")
  • Matt varnish
  • Weathering. I used some Abteilung oils & some Mig pigments for this stage - not finished yet though.

Hope that helps... It's quite simple, and the only slightly tricky bit is the airbrush control. I would consider myself about average with an airbrush without any false modesty. Touch ups and mistakes are my bread & butter ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

Cut - pasted & stored to be recycled in the next project.....

PS - a hint for your review build of the GR1A when it comes out:

solojag.jpg

Oh well - maybe not - not a terribly representative weapons fit.

Steve

• Like 1

Im liking the look of this model. ANother one to add to my wish list... I have pre-ordered the RAF version a friend of mine. Might have to nick that one!

That's looking superb Mike.

I was going to ask why it isn't finished yet, but that would involve pots and black kettles! :)

Just out of interest; have you compared the kit to any 1/48th plans at all?

By the way; if it looks half as good as the one Matthius did, it'll be splendid.

Stew

:lol: yes... although the postman had given it and the box a coat of invisible paint, so it was difficult to spot. Think I might have lost it as a result :blush:

Here's the product of the latest round of weathering :)

weathering3.jpg

weathering4.jpg

weathering5.jpg

More soon (hopefully) ;)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Stalled right near the end due to a lot of stuff going on, both online & offline. Once I've finished my current build of the KH Gripen and Dragon Me.262 I've promised my mate Chris that I'll get back to it :) it's currently humping an old ship model over on the other desk :blush:

BTW - if anyone's got any good suggestions for weapons loads, I'm very interested (as long as I have them in stock or on the sprues), but I want it to be somewhat realistic rather than spectacular ;)