Jaguar A (Kitty Hawk 1:48) - Out of the Box Build Review

Mike

In fact I really never expect from ANY kit manufacturer good decals, instructions, box art, (remember those astonishing ESCI box arts By R.Watanabe ?) .

Perhaps that's why I think 1/48 models should be more accurate and cheap , and I still think that the only and main obligation of scaled kit's manufacturers, at least for those seriously dedicated to it, should be the accuracy of measurements and proportions of the models.

Tonka

Mike,

i am loving this build, having been a massive lover of the jag anyway, i am now half way through my own build of this kit, it has now come to the point that i need to bring this to other potential buyers of this kit, and people who have already bought this kit and hidden it in there stash, well we don't do this do we !!

My kit does not have a sprue C, it has a sprue D instead, what is the difference, well on sprue D the front cone section of the front cockpit 2 part assembly is a separate item, which is not included in the kit,and a lot of other parts are missing from the kit as they are not on sprue D,so i am trying not to make a lengthy e-mail when a few sentences will do just fine, so with my build everything with sprue C is having to be scratch built or a worthy substitute found from the bits box.

I am sure you will agree, with a kit which I purchased from my local shop, Antics costing £42, I am now so frustrated with this kit, it will be finished but my buying days of Kitty Hawk are over.

So buyers beware, also check your stash

John

John,

You need to return to Antics, as your contract is with them, not Kitty Hawk. They need to send you a new sprue, so please don't blame Kitty Hawk for a simple mistake in packing, as they're not the first company to make a mistake, and won't be the last :shrug:

Hi Mike. I've just picked up on this thread, and I'm very impressed with your build of this Jag, particularly the painting aspect.

But as for the kit? Hmmmmmm.

When I heard it had been released I was pretty excited, even though it was the French variant. No worries, I thought, get rid of the "plain Jane" nose of the A (which looks cr*p) by using it as an excuse to finally build my planned T2.

I'm pleased I came across your build thread (and the recently completed one in RFI) before I went ahead and purchased one as I'm not particularly impressed, I have to say.

There's been a bit of hype regarding this kit, and I'm finding it hard to see why.

If I'm going to spend over forty quid on a 48th fighter-type (which means no more Japanese kits, thanks to greedy importers), I expect it a; to be accurate, which this one doesn't appear to be, and b; NOT full of gimmicks such as engines and open panels. If I want that sort of stuff, I'll do it myself.

Far better, in my view, to just give us something that builds out of the box into a reasonably accurate depiction of the machine it represents, all for under thirty quid, preferably. The modeller can then choose to spend any spare cash on cockpits and detail sets, etc., not have them forced on him at great expense.

I'm just praying that the Italeri kit isn't based on the Kitty Hawk one, as I wouldn't be buying that one either. Thank the Lord I've got my Airfix stash in the loft, bless 'em.

Anyway; sorry Mike, rant over. I don't want to detract from your excellent build. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Get a wriggle on! :)

• Like 1

Er; apologies.

Disregard my last - I've just realised it should be in a discussions forum, not here. Oopsy.

Sorry chaps.

Stew

Nice job Mike!

Despite of the assembling and painting issues I would be happy if Kittyhawk publish a "downloadable erratum" for the instructions manual ... That would be enough for me.

Edited by LT Motta
  • Like 1

That's an interesting mixture from the nice & shiny to the positively worn out. None of them seem as dirty as the ones shown in the photos of 7-HN though, which is what I'm aiming at. In case you all think I've stopped work on it though, I've been doing the panel line washes, for which I've been using some Mig Neutral wash. It's coming out nicely, and quite understated, but I've still got a few sections to do before I can post up a pic :)

I expect it a; to be accurate, which this one doesn't appear to be

Other than the Rudder being a bit short and the wheels that are a bit large, I've not corrected anything else that I can remember. What parts are you thinking aren't right?

Anyway; sorry Mike, rant over. I don't want to detract from your excellent build. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Get a wriggle on! :)

You're excused :)

Sorry, I didn't have a look to this thread since a while. There is definitely no yellow circle around the roundel. This circle disappeared from french air force's fighters in the end of the 70's/beginning of the 80's. They disappeared a little later on the transport aircraft. They are still in use on the trainers, including the Alphajets.

What seems to be a yellow circle around the roundel on the picture above is probably the remain of the area cleaned before a new roundel was applied.

That's a bit of a blow about the roundel's yellow bit... too late now :shrug:

weathering1.jpg

weathering2.jpg

As soon as my head stops spinning from moving the site, I'll probably do a little more to the weathering... maybe try & hide those yellow bands round the roundels too :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Saw the photos on FB and was impressed but now even more impresed. This really is looking the dalmations dangly bits Mike. :goodjob:

Christof

That panel wash really lifts the detail Mike, Its beautifully restrained but subtlely visible.

If it helps I do have a few Cartograf French roundels from an Eduard Mirage, without yellow rings that might just cover the ones on the Jag. They look about the right size but the only way to find out would be to compare. Let me know if you want a look at them.

Cheers

John

Thanks chaps :) John, I would like to see them, although I'm informed the yellow band shouldn't really be there during this time frame :( Nelly, by all means matey I look forward to seeing your new toy ;)

• 2 weeks later...