New Ship Related Releases

I beleive the Iowa had a slightly different hull shape near the bow. Whether this will be picked up in the kit is anyones guess.

Well, seeing as Trumpeter had trouble picking up the Kryten turrets on Westminster and Montrose, I somehow doubt it.

Was the different hull shape due to having the unfinished Kentucky's bow grafted on after a grounding incident, or was that Wisconsin ? I cant remember.

Edited by alpine_modeller

• 3 weeks later...

I have been keeping a tight lip over this one for months. Glad they have announced it, I think it will be very nice when you think of the other great kits they have produced over the last year or two.

Also available soon are 1:700 USS whidbey Island and USS Comstock LSD`s.

John

News from Orange hobby 1/700 Type22 batch 3 coming soon, knowing OB it will be good

Glad to see it but wrong scale for me, the earlier rumour ( a couple of pages back) was it was 1/350 and that sort of fitted with the recent release of the Knox class frigates, hope they are planning to upscale it too :-D

I got a reply from Cherry at Orangehobby last night about a Type 22 kit that has appeared on a Chinese website. There is currently a pre-order version exclusive to the Chinese market up until the 1st January. A version available to the UK should be ready sometime around the 6th January. I should be getting photos and prices this evening and will post as soon as I receive them.

As for a 1:350 version, I too had heard the same rumour but at the moment OH have no plans for 1:350. I wonder if a post for members to express an interest in a 1:350 Type 22 followed by a polite email to OH might show how much interest there is here in the UK for this or any other class ship....just a thought!!

John

!There already is a wish list of 1/350 subjects here on Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234938365-airfix-1350-wish-list/page-4#entry1384675

The list was intended for Airfix but would apply equally well to any other manufacturers that may be interested, IIRC the Type 22 figured quite prominently.

Happy modelling

Ant

• Like 1

Its a fine line with manufacturers. On one hand you don`t want to seem ungratefull for the kits that have been recently released, but on the other hand, how are manufacturers supposed to know which kits to make unless we draw their attention to a particular ship/scale.

• Like 1

@Chewitt: You beat me to it !! :winkgrin:

Here are a few more pics

;

John

It does look stunning, coincidentally I've just seen HMS Cornwall parked up in Swansea docks awaiting the breakers torches.

Orange Hobby really are producing some excellent stuff, just need them to think about some modern RN in 1/350 scale now.

Thanks for posting the books John & Chris both.

Ant

• Like 1

Such a graceful and, if one can describe beasts such as these so, beautiful looking class (batch 3 only mind). Shame they've gone all perfunctory rather than aesthetically-pleasing now.

Were I to alternatively compare them, I'd go -

22's = a fine, smooth, red Cote du Rhone/ Kirsty Gallagher/ a flat-calm summer's daybreak.

45's = Asda smart price lager/ Nora Batty/ a grim, showery, gale in November.

PS. No offence meant to store managers/ Last of the Summer Winers/ Autumn lovers.

PPS. In 350th please... And Albion/ Bulwark/ Diligence (great dio potential)

• Like 1

I have to agree that the Type 45 is an ugly looking ship, but definately NOT "budget goods"

I am sure they will be formidable platforms when they have their full weapon loadout......I just have this nagging feeling that 6 T-45`s are not enough.

Simple physics dictates that one ship can only occupy one piece of water at any one time, I fear they will be spread too thinly and that we need at least 2 more. How does HMS Dagger and HMS Devastation sound ?

The Type 22 is a nice looking ship and highly capable. I am sure I have read somewhere that the Type 22 was the ship the Royal Navy "got right"

The original plan was for twelve T45s to replace the 42s on a like-for-like basis. As soon Westminsterville politicians heard how capable the newuns were they asked why did the Royal Navy need the same number if they were better than what they were replacing. The naval 'press' has covered this in great depth, but generally it is worked out in the rule of thirds. We have six T45s, therefore two should be in refit, two training to deploy and two in deployment. These figures are all fine, but what happens if one is - wait for it - used in battle and sunk... It happens - my work colleague and friend has a great many stories about his time aboard the T42 HMS Coventry.

A great man once said "quantity has a quality all of its own".

Ugliness knows no bounds - Albion/ Bulwark allegedly had a superstructure deck 'removed' in design due to financial constraints. That is why they look so squat. Would still do them in 350th though...

@ AntPhillips: Books ???? :shrug:

Supposed to say pics, the joys of posting from a mobile with predictive text.

A real shame about the Type 22 being scrapped. They were in their prime !!!!

I saw Cornwall from the Park & Ride bus today, now I know just where she is berthed I might see how close I can get for some photos before they strip her out.

Ant