New Ship Related Releases

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, after the Scharnhorst class were built I've never heard of any Kriegsmarine heavy units even pipe-dreamed of that would have had three-gun turrets. They had some very heavy ships in the idea stage that I know of, the H-41, H-42, H-43 and H-44 designs, the latter being about 122,000 tons but even these monsters had two-gun turrets that I know of. And I don't think any of them were seriously advanced.

While the O-class model might be plausible if not actually built, this next one .   .   .  ?       Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, 

I think the first two of the H class were technically laid down but only a few hundred tonnes had actually been put together on the slips before the were paused, 

3 hours ago, Model Monkey said:

Looks to be a match to one of "what-if" World of Warships video game ships.  It would seem that Trumpeter is marketing to the large WoW crowd.  Probably a good business move if not a historically plausible one.

It'd seem likely, and it brings new people to the hobby potentially, itd not surprised me of someone comes up with a twin gun turret upgrade as part of an aftermarket either......, either way she'd be too big for my cabinet, 

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, after the Scharnhorst class were built I've never heard of any Kriegsmarine heavy units even pipe-dreamed of that would have had three-gun turrets. They had some very heavy ships in the idea stage that I know of, the H-41, H-42, H-43 and H-44 designs, the latter being about 122,000 tons but even these monsters had two-gun turrets that I know of. And I don't think any of them were seriously advanced.

While the O-class model might be plausible if not actually built, this next one .   .   .  ?       Regards, Jeff.

How about some of those planned under Plan Z but not built:-

P class heavy cruiser / panzerschiffe of 23,700 tons. 12 planned. None laid down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-class_cruiser

Earlier the cruisers Seydlitz and Lutzow were originally planned to have a main armament of 12x5.9in in triple turrets but the design was changed in 1936 to 8x8in in twin turrets to match Hipper, Blucher and Prinz Eugen. They were laid down 18 months to 2 years after the S & G.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I think the first two of the H class were technically laid down but only a few hundred tonnes had actually been put together on the slips before the were paused, 

Gidday, yes I believe so too. Those others were much larger designs I think, not much further advanced than the pipe-dream stage.

4 hours ago, EwenS said:

Earlier the cruisers Seydlitz and Lutzow were originally planned to have a main armament of 12x5.9in in triple turrets but the design was changed in 1936 to 8x8in in twin turrets to match Hipper, Blucher and Prinz Eugen. They were laid down 18 months to 2 years after the S & G.

I actually built a model of Seydlitz as such. 🙂 I used a Prinz Eugen kit as the donor and scratch built the turrets. Apologies if I'm getting a bit OT. Regards, Jeff.

If anyone's interested in British & Commonwealth Roman Numeral style draught markings, I've just received these silk screen printed beauties made for me by Decograph in Ukraine. We've got these for 1/200, 1/350, 1/400, 1/600 and 1/700 ships.

PXL_20221231_125052452.jpg?v=1672500784

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Great news, thank you Jamie!

I hope it will be possible buy these decals at your european stockists.

Regards and happy New Year,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 3:56 PM, socjo1 said:

Great news, thank you Jamie!

I hope it will be possible these decals at your european stockists.

Regards and happy New Year,

Michal

Hi Michal,

I'll offer them up but we can send these internationally if you're in a hurry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had my pre order for Trumpeter's new Chinese 1/72 submersible kits, Fen Dou Zhe & Shen Hai Yong Shi, cancelled due to covid in China.

Will just have to wait for them to be released, was looking forward to building some research subs.

All the best Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Order up boys! Two copies of BCM's early BUTLER are on the way!

SAMUEL B, ROBERTS (Taffy 3) and THADDEUS W. PARKER (my dad's last USNR command) will finally get built.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just released  from neomega-resin  from looks like their first 1/350 scale ship,check their site out. Director Class Paddle Tug resin with 3D parts and photo etching.

I have already bought one ,nice little tug,check out "work in progress" by Faraway already started his.

The "Directors" had EXCEPTIONAL handling characteristics because (like
all independant paddlewheel driven tugs) their turning moment was
clearly on their paddle shaft axis rather some fuzzy point determined
by a rudder. Their twin Paxman-powered diesel electric systems
coupled to very wide paddle floats (overall beam almost 60') made them
extremely powerful...with a respectable bollard pull of 10... but
with a difference...the paddles being alongside the hulls reduced the
stalling effect of a propeller wash close to a large hull. Combine
this with the centre of effort being AHEAD of the tow hook pivot point
(unlike a propeller which would be ASTERN of the hook) and you reduce
the very dangerous possibility of being capsized by your tow. (the
nautical term for this disasterous tug conditon completely escapes me
at the moment). This made them eminently suitable as berthing tugs
for the Royal Navy's huge Aircraft carriers and the tugs were
stationed in major Royal Navy Ports. "Faithful" and "Favourite" in
Devonport, "Forceful", "Grinder" and "Griper" in Portsmouth with
"Dexterous" and "Director" stationed for much of their service lives
in Gibraltar and Malta respectively. The tugs had folding masts
which would allow them to slip close under the overhangs of the
aircraft Carriers during berthing "pushes". The remarkable "Tractor"
type tugs which replaced the "Directors" were apparently a propeller
development of them. (thrust from AHEAD of the towing pivot point)

The 7 'Directors" had a very short service life of barely 20 years and
were destroyed either by torches or missiles (shamefully as target
practice!) during the early 80's. Ray Brigden of Model Boats Magazine
visited the last survivor "Forceful" in 1980 and found her still to be
in excellent mechanical and physical condition. Surface missiles
apparently fired at her on Aberforth Range in 1980 made pretty short
work of this beautiful ship..and actually the pinnacle of Paddle Tug
technology!

It's such a shame not one of these "modern" paddlers could have been
preserved to mark the end of an era! I guess this is what we do when
we build models of them and talk about them in email groups!

6tamJHE.jpg

gT0cO68.jpg

eH2PbSN.jpg

rz8O8kS.jpg

iqwSLms.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, Chewbacca said:

I picked up on a news feed in the week that the latest addition to Takom's 1/72 turret range in HMS HOOD's B turret.  Not sure how reliable that is.

Report is reliable as far as I can tell. Kit does not look good though, lots of made-up junk on the barbette and they did not include any information readily available on webpage of the HMS Hood website. (rear armor plate, UP shield config and so on).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday, she was a beautiful ship I think, one that I wouldn't mind building (but probably never will). The kit refers to her as a WW2 fast battleship but she didn't actually serve in WW2, being commissioned in May 1946. Still a worthy subject for a model though. If only she was done in styrene and in 1/600. 😥 I'd snap her up. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Trumpeter are releasing new tooled 1/350 La Galissonnière-class light cruisers, starting with Marseillaise.

spacer.png

Not entirely sure why they're starting with what seems to be (after a quick wikipedia search about the class) one of the most uneventful ships of the class... Oh well, can't complain as at least this will see the light of day, unlike many of trumpeter's 350th "announced" kits.

James.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I wonder why Trumpeter think that will sell better than say, a Colony class cruiser in the same scale?

... or long awaited  Dido class?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jagdtiger1 said:

Not entirely sure why they're starting with what seems to be (after a quick wikipedia search about the class) one of the most uneventful ships of the class... Oh well, can't complain as at least this will see the light of day, unlike many of trumpeter's 350th "announced" kits.

Isn't that the playbook? Release the less interesting variants, sell those, and then release the sought after variant as that may well be 2nd (or more) purchase. :shrug:

• Like 1

On 20/06/2023 at 10:38, Jagdtiger1 said:

Trumpeter are releasing new tooled 1/350 La Galissonnière-class light cruisers, starting with Marseillaise.

spacer.png

James.

That's exciting news, I'm surprised it's getting any attention to be honest, but very glad of it, they're attractive ships and it's one I will be investing in, 

20 hours ago, socjo1 said:

... or long awaited  Dido class?

Hopefully their dido class gets released at some point, but judging by how long we've been waiting  for the long announced but not realised yet Rodney, I'll not hold my breath

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

News from some model show in Asia, Trumpeter are actually going to release 2 new 1/350 kits; Jeanne D'Arc and USS Midway.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7LA8JkbkAAklxs?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-05635-jeanne-darc--1505627

You will notice that, yet again, neither of these were mentioned in Trumpeter's catalogue for the year. Anything real is better than Trumpeter's recent fixation on fake nazi ships though.

Maybe next century for the 350 Didos...

James.

• Like 3