New Ship Related Releases

Hi Steve,

those Vietnam era bridge decks, for the Essex class, appear to be just what I need for my conversion of USS Boxer to an LPH.  Can you advise me if these parts will fit onto the Trumpeter 1:350 kit's island?  Checking photo's, I see that the parts are not exactly the same as the Boxer but would they fit, or should I wait for a set for an LPH?

Mike

• Like 1

Hi MIke!  Thanks for the interest!

Good news!  Within the next week or so, I'll have 1/350 bridge decks available with the window configuration that better matches Boxer as well as other ships of the class.  I hope to have a set done at the same time that will fit the Trumpeter kit well.

As you may know, when the Essex class islands were modified from their World War Two-era configuration into their modernized SCB-27 and/or SCB-125 configuration, they were shortened at the aft end by several feet.  The Vietnam-era bridge deck model is intended to fit the Merit 1/350 scale USS Intrepid kit's shorter SCB-27/125 island length.

Having said that, the acrylic plastic that these 3D-printed parts is made of cuts and sands easily.  They can be modified if you don't want to wait.

Hope this helps and thanks again!

Hi Steve,

thanks for the info.  I think I will wait for the correct bridge decks but will use the existing Trumpeter kit island, mainly as I have already started work on it.  I don't want to get the SC-27 island as that would mean chopping the funnel around and possibly other items as well. 

I have managed to get hold of a copy of "Essex Class Carriers" by Alan Raven and there are a couple of decent photo's of Boxer's island postwar.  It is the information from these that I am basing my island configuration on, purely as I have no other sources to work to. 

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've received my Flyhawk HMS Hermes and on the side of the box is a picture of HMS Kelly 1940, and HMS Legion 1941. Legion was armed with 4 twin 4inch mounts rather than  the 3x4.7 inch twin mounts she was due to receive and served with HMS Penelope as part of the Force "K" based out of Malta. Penelope as mentioned previously is also being released by Flyhawk.

Richard

• Like 1

Some new releases out soon, Niko Models HMS Hero and German Minenraumerschiffe, 1/700, AJM Models Bora surface effect corvette 1/700 and 1/350.  Dodo Models will have their 1/700 HMS Peacock out in November.

Mike

Great news for those modellers who have bought the Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood. Scalewarship.com have announced the release of a replacement funnel set for the incorrectly sized unit in the kit. Whilst Pontos have announced one in their huge update set, this new release, which should be ready in time for Telford., will allow those who don't have the the funds for the big sets to build their model more accurately. The company are also releasing two etch sets which correct the splinter shields and degassing cables. These will be reviewed shortly on your favourite forum.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Shar2 said:

Great news for those modellers who have bought the Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood. Scalewarship.com have announced the release of a replacement funnel set for the incorrectly sized unit in the kit. ....... These will be reviewed shortly on your favourite forum.

Looking forward to that Dave :)

• Like 1

Revell are re-releasing the 1/144 Albatros fast attack craft. 

Great for us large scale maritime nuts, I already have one of the older Gepard releases, although one side of the hull has a serious moudling flaw so I may get another kit and also see if the decals are better with a new release. 

Accurately sized and fully riveted 3D-printed funnels for HMS Hood are now available in 1/200 and 1/350 scales.  These are intended to replace the mis-matched and under-scale fore-to-aft Trumpeter kits' funnels.  They are also appropriate for your Ark Model, Hachette and Halinski 1/200 scale Hood models.

Funnels in 1/700 will be up by late tomorrow.  Hood funnels printed in 1/400, 1/600 and 1/720 scales are possible.

The 3D-printed designs' dimensions match John Robert's drawings based on official Admiralty plans in the possession of the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, England. The shape of the aft funnel's lower flange has been adjusted to reflect recent research presented by Frank W. Allen of the HMS Hood Association. 

3D-printed ship products (click here)

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Clearer images of the upcoming Aoshima 1/700 HMS Illustrious from that company's website: LINK.

Looks like the hull opening are indeed "open" so I wonder if that indicates some re-tooling from when the sprues were first shown at the Shizouka show?

Mike.

22 hours ago, MikeR said:

Clearer images of the upcoming Aoshima 1/700 HMS Illustrious from that company's website: LINK.

Looks like the hull opening are indeed "open" so I wonder if that indicates some re-tooling from when the sprues were first shown at the Shizouka show?

Mike.

Pictures now up on HobbySearch plus a nice image of the box art: LINK. Once it's released I'd expect the page to be updated to include the instructions.

Looks like Aoshima have tried to go for a late '42-early '43 time frame judging from the camouflage scheme.

Mike.:)

• 3 weeks later...

On Trumpeter's Facebook page, there are pics of their forthcoming 2017 catalogue showing the following 1/700 WW2 ships, HMS Ark Royal, HMS Nelson, HMS Rodney, USS Yorktown, USS Enterprise, USS Texas, USS New York and the never finished Graf Zeppelin. Sounds like another good year of releases for 1/700 fans, a new Nelson/Rodney are really needed and it's about time for new toolings of Yorktown and Enterprise. I can't believe it's taken so long for a company to make a new plastic kit in 1/700 of the world's most successful warship!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

Yep looks pretty good so far regardless of which scale you favour. I had a feeling that Trumpeter would do a 1/700 Ark Royal after the 1/350 Merit kit appeared - it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Aoshima version. As for the Enterprise and Yorktown kits, I hope Trumpeter don't use the same misshapen hull from their Hornet kit.

Mike.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:34 AM, Mikemx said:

On Trumpeter's Facebook page, there are pics of their forthcoming 2017 catalogue showing the following 1/700 WW2 ships, HMS Ark Royal, HMS Nelson, HMS Rodney, USS Yorktown, USS Enterprise, USS Texas, USS New York and the never finished Graf Zeppelin. Sounds like another good year of releases for 1/700 fans, a new Nelson/Rodney are really needed and it's about time for new toolings of Yorktown and Enterprise. I can't believe it's taken so long for a company to make a new plastic kit in 1/700 of the world's most successful warship!

thanks

Mike

Nelson and Rodney, mmmm !

47 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Yep looks pretty good so far regardless of which scale you favour. I had a feeling that Trumpeter would do a 1/700 Ark Royal after the 1/350 Merit kit appeared - it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Aoshima version. As for the Enterprise and Yorktown kits, I hope Trumpeter don't use the same misshapen hull from their Hornet kit.

Mike.

That and the fact the aircraft for both Ark Royal and Graf Zeppelin were announced in the 1/700th aircraft section of Trumpeters catalogue last year rather than 1/350th ;) (Which is rather annoying for those wanting to expand their air groups on the 350th version.

Anyhow back to the announcements, its also nice to see the US Super Carriers are to be scaled down too, now they just need to do the Forrestal & Midway classes from fresh along with scaling down their angled deck Essex class Intrepid.

Only thing to remember Is that this is Trumpeter and its the 2017/18 catalogue and even then items can stay announced for years, if we see the 700 Belfasts next year then at least we know they are somewhere on track

• Like 1

That is a disadvantage with Trumpeter - they can take a while to do things. I do hope that the eventually scale down their 1/350 Essex and York to 1/700, but I've been waiting a long time for them to do the same to their Admiral Chabanenko kit!

News from Flyhawk - the following 1/700 kits have been confirmed - all WW2 or WW1 - HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Duke of York, HMS Illustrious, HMS Ajax, HMNZS Achilles, Nurnberg, Leipzig, Konigsberg and Moltke. I best start reducing the stash further to accommodate this little lot! It's about time we saw the WW2 German Light Cruisers and Ajax/Achilles in 1/700 plastic, not to mention new tool KGV's!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

It would be nice if they said which years all the ships were all in. Going off the pics, Ajax and Achilles look like pre war or very early war, DOY looks like she has a late war paint job, POW is obvious, Konigsberg and Leipzig look like early war. Nurnberg in 1945 should be interesting, as she had some single 40mm bofors guns fitted.

thanks

Mike

Tetra Modelworks has released their detail up set for Merit International's 1/350 HMS Ark Royal III kit:

SE35009_01_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483044026

They've also released an aircraft set covering Swordfish, Skuas and Fulmars

SA35008_01.jpg

And lastly (and I've got a sample here which Park Yong-Joo gave me at Telford and it's really nice) a little set of the .5" Vickers Quad mounts used on numerous British ships in the early part of WW2

Vickers_03.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Tetra Modelworks has released their detail up set for Merit International's 1/350 HMS Ark Royal III kit:

SE35009_01_1024x1024.jpg?v=1483044026

They've also released an aircraft set covering Swordfish, Skuas and Fulmars

SA35008_01.jpg

And lastly (and I've got a sample here which Park Yong-Joo gave me at Telford and it's really nice) a little set of the .5" Vickers Quad mounts used on numerous British ships in the early part of WW2

Vickers_03.jpg

When do do you think these will be in stock James 

That is a must for this build 

will have to get more overtime in now   :blink:

Beefy 

• Like 2

Hi Beefy,

I've actually never stocked Tetra's stuff, but the Ark Royal has prompted me to make that move on a small scale initially (i.e. their products which I am confident I can sell here in the UK). I've got a few things to do but will order some Ark Royals as soon as I get round to it, and packages from Korea seem to average around 3 weeks to arrive.

Like you, I've refrained from starting my Ark Royal until I had some aftermarket accessories for it. There's some PE in the box as you will know but others may not, and whilst an OOB build is ok, it's not really what I personally want from a 1/350 aircraft carrier. Even simple things like the Vickers guns above are so much more convincing and immersive than an injection moulded plastic item which whilst better than Airfix's 1960s mouldings, is still a bit vague by comparison to the PE and machined brass barrel alternative.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mikemx said:

News from Flyhawk - the following 1/700 kits have been confirmed - all WW2 or WW1 - HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Duke of York, HMS Illustrious, HMS Ajax, HMNZS Achilles, Nurnberg, Leipzig, Konigsberg and Moltke. I best start reducing the stash further to accommodate this little lot! It's about time we saw the WW2 German Light Cruisers and Ajax/Achilles in 1/700 plastic, not to mention new tool KGV's!

thanks

Mike

The Moltke shall be mine!:evil_laugh:

The rest are nice too!

• Like 1

A nice selection from Flyhawk, Ajax & Achilles are tasty additions, now we just need a nice new Exeter or failing that Revell to reissue the Matchbox one and lots of aftermarket stuff. With these and the earlier Aurora I wonder if we will see them turn to the Australian Sydney & Perth next as part of the British Light cruiser collection. Illustrious is still going to be interesting and hopefully they will do a late war version too together with airgroup. Prince of Wales and Duke of York are interesting as new KGV class as an alternative to Tamiya.

The German Light cruisers are a nice touch too and should go down well (now when are Trumpeter doing those 1/700 Blackburn Skua's B) )

• Like 2