New Ship Related Releases

I've purposely avoided buying the 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales in hope Flyhawk release it at 1/350. Would be nice if it did happen this year, but it's already been a 2 or 3 year wait. But some of those WW1 subjects have caught my eye. :)

Just to announce that Trumpeter are bringing out the Seydlitz WW2 Cruiser

( sister to Hipper , Blucher and Prinz Eugen) as a conversion to a Carrier 

renamed to ‘ Weser ‘ at the start of February ( 1/350 scale ) 2022 

Also in addition to PoW from Flyhawk , in 1/350 scale , VeryFire of China are slated to bring out the HMS King George V ( new tool 1/350 ) and Renown/ Vanguard in 1/350 scale

if I was a betting man , the next VeryFire will either be King George V 1940 or the IJN Aoba Heavy Cruiser "....... depending on how well the Taiho sold 

Starling Hobbies ( Mike McCabe ) reckons it’s a further 2 year wait ( if it ever appears ) for the PoWales 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

I was getting excited until I saw how little was in 1/350, only another KGV, desperately short of a large number of RN ships within n that scale, even for WW2 heavies

They'll probably arrive in time, but I can see why they went with Prince of Wales for their first 1/350 offering; if I'm not mistaken their 1/700 version was their first ship release so there's logic to start with something they can scale up and have the most feedback on. Hopefully it will open the door to many other RN subjects in that scale (wish-listing appears to be frowned upon when it's getting off topic so I'll keep my own hopes for future Flyhawk kits for a more suitable thread). 

Ross.

• Like 2

I wait eagerly for 1/350 Dido cruisers, but maybe their american cousins will be produced sooner. Atlanta class from Very Fire:

71phXTRGgeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71qLY3wxb0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It can be fantastic model of beauty ship...

(from The SteelNavy.Com Message Board: Re: Very Fire Atlanta (boardhost.com)

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 73north said:

Also in addition to PoW from Flyhawk , in 1/350 scale , VeryFire of China are slated to bring out the HMS King George V ( new tool 1/350 ) and Renown/ Vanguard in 1/350 scale

if I was a betting man , the next VeryFire will either be King George V 1940 or the IJN Aoba Heavy Cruiser "....... depending on how well the Taiho sold 

Starling Hobbies ( Mike McCabe ) reckons it’s a further 2 year wait ( if it ever appears ) for the PoWales 

We're they to bring out vanguard that'd save me trying to scratch build her at some point, 

I did my part and picked up the DX version of their Taiho kit, it's superb, in my opinion blows away anything if seen from trumpy, that said the basic kit misses some key parts, and their upgrade packs are phenomenally expensive, £90 for a wooden deck and a few arrestor wires, 

Dare I say this looks like a golden age of modelling in 1/350

• Like 2

22 hours ago, socjo1 said:

I wait eagerly for 1/350 Dido cruisers, but maybe their american cousins will be produced sooner. Atlanta class from Very Fire:

71phXTRGgeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71qLY3wxb0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It can be fantastic model of beauty ship...

(from The SteelNavy.Com Message Board: Re: Very Fire Atlanta (boardhost.com)

That looks awesome, and makes sense with the blue ridge/very fire partnership, plus cruisers and destroyers are also painfully thin on the ground. To be honest, I'll be tempted by any plastic kit of a warship I don't have a representative of (but yes I also hope the Dido class arrive from somewhere, along with any other RN ships anyone wants to make)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

We're they to bring out vanguard that'd save me trying to scratch build her at some point, 

Might I suggest a FROG HMS Vanguard in 1/400 ?

there are several for sale on EBay and although an old kit you could upgrade it

with Micromaster parts and WEM etch 1/400 

5 hours ago, MRMRL said:

That looks awesome, and makes sense with the blue ridge/very fire partnership, plus cruisers and destroyers are also painfully thin on the ground. To be honest, I'll be tempted by any plastic kit of a warship I don't have a representative of (but yes I also hope the Dido class arrive from somewhere, along with any other RN ships anyone wants to make)

Aren't Trumpy due to be releasing some dido class pretty soon,  my LHS has then down as coming soon

• Like 1

Is a tempting idea,  ideally though I'd like to try and keep everything the same scale,  

3 hours ago, 73north said:

The Frog HMS Vanguard is a 1972 re-box of the Hasegawa 1/450 HMS Vanguard that first appeared in 1969. Atlantic Models released a PE set for it some years ago but is not in stock right now.

Dave

On 1/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, S-boat 55 said:

I did my part and picked up the DX version of their Taiho kit, it's superb, in my opinion blows away anything if seen from trumpy, that said the basic kit misses some key parts, and their upgrade packs are phenomenally expensive, £90 for a wooden deck and a few arrestor wires, 

Very Fire announced a 1/350 HMS Vanguard kit a few years ago, but I have no idea what stage of development it's at or when it is anticipated to be released.

Ross.

• Like 2

Well, this is interesting, Combrig is releasing a 1/700 "rotor ship", which relies on the Magnus effect to increase propulsion efficiency.

https://combrig-models.com/index.php/1700/10-german-navy-1919-1945/982-70693-barbara. It was in service as a freighter.

The 3 spinning rotors provided propulsion similar to sails. 

800px-Vaixell_de_rotor_Barbara.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 20:34, 73north said:

I still don't get this fascination with German aircraft carriers.  Weser was a project that was never finished, never went to sea and never saw any action.  Why is that more likely to sell than say a 1/350 RN subject that has never been kitted in that scale (or indeed in many cases in any scale).

Don't get me wrong.  I know that there are some who will buy it - Trumpeter will have have their business case signed off and understand that they have a market or they wouldn't invest in the tooling and good luck to them - but it almost strikes me that there is pathological fear of kitting new RN subjects.  

It'll be great to see VANGUARD and even a new POW but there are so many subjects that I am sure would sell just as well as a ship that was never completed.

I'll get m'coat

• Like 6

I wonder if World of Warships is a contributing factor? That game is riddled with what-ifs and never-were ships, including Weser. I recall that when the Guitar Hero game was a big thing it resulted in sales of actual guitars increasing. Similarly when Total War: Warhammer proved a hit on PC there was renewed interest in Warhammer Fantasy Battles; people wanted the miniatures. 

The question is whether WoW is big enough to generate enough interest in model ships for kit manufacturers to pay attention.

Ross.

• Like 5

Can we get everyone in the world to ask World of Warships to concentrate on historical WW2 RN (sneaky eh?) and DKM light cruisers (and maybe mention 1/350 scale)!

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
bad spelling
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:11 AM, Chewbacca said:

Don't get me wrong.  I know that there are some who will buy it

- but it almost strikes me that there is pathological fear of kitting new RN subjects.  

I am certain World of Warships has a big influence , however I also think the easy accessible existence of 1/350 line drawings for it ( I have a set forWeser robbed from the Admiral Hipper ( now sadly defunct  AJ Press of Poland ) Part 3 edition .

another HUGE source for Trumpeter is Profile Morskie , I think the next new RN subject will be ( Trumpeter ) Dido class cruisers , why I think this ?

as the artwork by Randall Wilson is completed and ready .

As regards VeryFire , it would be a guess , but it’s probably King George V Class ,as they have a track record of beating the opposition (Flyhawk ) to the market as proven by VeryFire Missouri beating by many months the Joy yard Missouri . Plus the KGV will sell , and there is a big gap in the market , the

old tool 1986 era PoW not withstanding .

The RN Carrier that would be viable would be Hermes , Eagle or the Furious 

Hermes would just need an up scale , and would not be that big a kit .

Edited by 73north

The RN Carrier that would be viable would be Hermes , Eagle or the Furious 

Hermes would just need an up scale , and would not be that big a kit .

Were it Furious they could put me down for one for sure, regardless of price....there's always the spare kidney,

That said VFs kits don't seem to hold their value second hand so if I could ne patient....but I doubt I could be,

Edited by S-boat 55

On 1/15/2022 at 8:11 AM, Chewbacca said:

I still don't get this fascination with German aircraft carriers.  Weser was a project that was never finished, never went to sea and never saw any action.  Why is that more likely to sell than say a 1/350 RN subject that has never been kitted in that scale (or indeed in many cases in any scale).

Don't get me wrong.  I know that there are some who will buy it - Trumpeter will have have their business case signed off and understand that they have a market or they wouldn't invest in the tooling and good luck to them - but it almost strikes me that there is pathological fear of kitting new RN subjects.  

It'll be great to see VANGUARD and even a new POW but there are so many subjects that I am sure would sell just as well as a ship that was never completed.

I'll get m'coat

I totally agree.  It's not even as though there's a lack of reference material; I get the Morskie thing (& I'm sure it's right - qv Ark Royal), but there are more drawings and detailed information about Victorious than most ships of that era (WAY more than for Ark), which would at least allow the early Illustrious hulls (Lusty herself, Formid & Vic).  All 3 had extremely active wars, with interesting stories covering most theatres: between them Taranto, Mediterrean, Madagascar, Bismarck, "USS Robin", Tirpitz, Pacific Fleet, kamikazes...  But we just get yet more Nazis.

Bloody frustrating. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I totally agree.  It's not even as though there's a lack of reference material; I get the Morskie thing (& I'm sure it's right - qv Ark Royal), but there are more drawings and detailed information about Victorious than most ships of that era (WAY more than for Ark), which would at least allow the early Illustrious hulls (Lusty herself, Formid & Vic).  All 3 had extremely active wars, with interesting stories covering most theatres: between them Taranto, Mediterrean, Madagascar, Bismarck, "USS Robin", Tirpitz, Pacific Fleet, kamikazes...  But we just get yet more Nazis.

Bloody frustrating. 

Couldn't agree more....there's the anatomy book on her, couldn't be easier 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 3

Not too sure if it's purely access to references that appear to limit RN ships being kitted by CN manufacturers. There might be domestic factors as well, i.e. not wanting to attract attention from elements within the CCP. I do know that the Chinese gaming industry has to walk a very fine line between satisfying their playerbases and the CCP's cultural desires.

Sino-British relations haven't been all that smooth since the Opium Wars and the Chinese State does have a long memory.

Mike.:hmmm:

On 12/7/2019 at 2:33 PM, 73north said:

Apart from announced release of Bismarck in 1/350 Scale by Trumpeter - this is the box art for the British Cruisers HMS Naiad and Argonaut ( Dido Class ) in 1/350 scale 

Olei1zK.jpg

qzXKJwf.jpg

always a good sign that a release of these ships can't be too far away in the New Year 

Willing to bet this will be the next release by Trumpeter as they paid for the artwork nearly 3 years ago , for the Dido class Cruisers