New Ship Related Releases

IBG's 1/700 "HMS Hotspur 1941" has arrived on my workbench.  Similar in concept and design to IBG's Garland, Ithuriel and Glowworm, it is therefore of generally good quality, but unfortunately suffers from poor research in one significant area.  The kit shares many components with the Glowworm kit, including the foc's'le deck (part J4) and "B" gundeck (Part I1), both of which have the circular recesses below the 4.7" gun mounting positions which were needed for the guns in the"E", "F" and "G" classes to elevate to the full 40⁰.  Similarly, the main deck (Part E8) and "X" gundeck (Part E5) also have these recesses.  However, the "H" class had a later mark of gun, which did not need this feature, and so had a continuous deck below each gun mounting.  Thus either the deck recesses should be filled and sanded smooth, or a ship of an earlier class should be modelled. (Note that the "E" and "F" classes were 6 feet longer overall than the "H" class - the "G"s were the same length as the "H"s).

A couple of lesser snags are also present;

• As with the Glowworm kit, the TSDS winches are missing, and depth charge reload racks (Parts J5, PE17, PE18) are supplied instead.
  • The galley funnel, extending from the crew's galley (Part A3) diagonally across the starboard side of the forefunnel and up its after face, is not provided

Apart from these glitches, a nice kit (although I have yet to start assembly).

Edited by Our Ned
Including mention of "E" class with wells for 4.7" gun elevation, and lengths overall.
  • Like 2

Any rumours about the release of missing 1/700 cold war items like:

• HMS Vanguard battleship
  • Foch/Clemenceau carrier
  • Charles de Gaulle carrier
  • USS Midway-class early (straight-deck) fit
  • Dragon 7130 USS Enterprise

??????????

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2020 at 10:46, Modelholic said:

My apologies if it's been posted earlier.

There's a link posted on Modelwarship.com regarding a new tool Trumpeter 1/350 Bismarck.

(I was going to copy the link here but it automatically embedded the video from youtube. Not knowing if this broke any rules I deleted it)

Tom

Oh yummy.  Another Bismarck.  I really can't wait.  Surely there can't be a market for another one?

• Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 11:05 PM, KRK4m said:

Any rumours about the release of missing 1/700 cold war items like:

• HMS Vanguard battleship
  • Foch/Clemenceau carrier
  • Charles de Gaulle carrier
  • USS Midway-class early (straight-deck) fit
  • Dragon 7130 USS Enterprise

??????????

Cheers

Michael

Flyhawk have announced a 1/700 battleship Vanguard, but it's probably a long way from release. Very Fire have a 1/350 version in the pipeline, which may arrive sooner.

Ross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ravens said:

Flyhawk have announced a 1/700 battleship Vanguard, but it's probably a long way from release. Very Fire have a 1/350 version in the pipeline, which may arrive sooner.

At the end of 2017 Very Fire announced the 1/700 straight-deck USS Midway for 2019. And today we have March 2020 already...

Cheers

Michael

11 hours ago, KRK4m said:

At the end of 2017 Very Fire announced the 1/700 straight-deck USS Midway for 2019. And today we have March 2020 already...

Cheers

Michael

I tend not to get too excited about future releases until CAD images have been published, demonstrating that the project is moving into an advanced stage. 

Having said that, I've waited a long time for a 1/700 Vanguard in plastic and I'm delighted that there is at least intent to produce these models; it's a good time to be a ship modeller.

Ross.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 8:45 AM, Ravens said:

I tend not to get too excited about future releases until CAD images have been published, demonstrating that the project is moving into an advanced stage. 

Having said that, I've waited a long time for a 1/700 Vanguard in plastic and I'm delighted that there is at least intent to produce these models; it's a good time to be a ship modeller.

Ross.

We got in early with Very Fire, probably naively, on the back of a short list of 1/350 projects including Renown and Vanguard. Unfortunately that turned into American stuff and mostly what-ifs at that and no RN ships at all have appeared so we don't stock them any more and the above announcements are firmly in the "will believe when seen" category.

• Like 1

Here is another Chinese company, that has popped up out of the woodwork called EV,they are resin kits with P.E. Yesterday looking at a shop I bought off in the past. I spotted this,well we all moan that there are no RFA for our fleets ,well this company has produced Wave Knight in 1/700 resin with P.E. From the photos it looks good.Not cheap at £86 ,but when has priced stopped us,I will report ,when it arrives,on the quality. 

yD6KxWZ.jpg

qwJLlNr.jpg

MgbIzif.jpg

iyfaKRM.jpg

9ZMaK6h.jpg

u25Jocz.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I promised to put some photo's of Wave Knight when it arrived,it has and I'm pleased with what I see,only when I come to build ,will I know how good the kit is,here are lots of pictures,plus what I plan to do, is a diorma with her resuppling two ships ,a Type 23 (Trumpeter kit) and a Type 22 (Orange Hobby),that's the plan.The two pictures showing the instructions ,that's it,should be fun.

jxFtJCI.jpg

k3VgcrM.jpg

jZVOkxa.jpg

NVrhcuD.jpg

W3wOONS.jpg

NCsGDz4.jpg

6Vn3TKO.jpg

SzNcsS4.jpg

vqH8xnU.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 13

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Less of the buying and more of the building...

Stuart

Quite right Stuart 😎

Terry mine is getting ordered tonight for my birthday in three weeks time 😉

beefy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Terry mine is getting ordered tonight for my birthday in three weeks time 

You won't be disappointed Beefy, it's a splendid model.

Terry

• Like 2

On 18/03/2020 at 19:53, Chewbacca said:

Oh yummy.  Another Bismarck.  I really can't wait.  Surely there can't be a market for another one?

I've not seen it up close but by looking at some photos on line it looks to be be very very very similar to Revells kit, which seems a little suspicious to me, 

On 5/17/2020 at 12:55 PM, rich2010 said:

Hawk Graphics of Canada does great decals (D7011 RN Ensigns sheet for RFA), but I'm not sure they're still trading as my last fews emails/ order requests have not been replied to.

I fell into this trap.  it would  appear that the business was sold a few years back - this post is a heavy hint

A great shame about Hawk Graphics - only a few are available on the Floating drydock website and there doesn't seem to be any move to continue them.

Quite why the Hawks Graphics Decals website remains up is a mystery.

Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Boxart for new Hobby BossPLA Navy Type 039 Song Class submarine (1:350) is not bad:

Spoiler

5efafdaa3a061.jpg

Source: LINK

There is one here comparing it with the Revell version but in German:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5856%3Atrumpeter-deutsches-schlachtschiff-bismarck-1350&catid=69%3Atru&Itemid=1

Google translate gave a readable version with a helpful conclusion that the Trumpeter kit is one of their best in 1/350th but that the Revell one holds up well against it and is still good value for money.