New Ship Related Releases

Other than covering rarer subjects resin kits are generally sharper detailed and don’t look as clunky as plastic, this is the main reason why I will purchase a resin kit over plastic, I appreciate there are exceptions. On a different topic down the years I've always been surprised that until now an injection moulded Brooklyn has not been produced, although I guess the same could be said for the other treaty and inter war cruisers.

Other than covering rarer subjects resin kits are generally sharper detailed and don’t look as clunky as plastic, this is the main reason why I will purchase a resin kit over plastic, I appreciate there are exceptions. On a different topic down the years I've always been surprised that until now an injection moulded Brooklyn has not been produced, although I guess the same could be said for the other treaty and inter war cruisers.

I do build and have a few resin ships in the stash (other Mike can testify as he's seen some of my ships at shows - like my resin HMS Barham). However, being short of cash, many resin kits are now out of reach so it doesn't matter how good some of them are, I'll only buy the occasional cheaper one and one's I don't think will be coming out in plastic any time. That does somewhat narrow things down as we're seeing many subjects being done in plastic now, many of which we'd have only expected in resin.

As for quality - have you seen and built any recent Fujimi or Flyhawk release? If not, you should, these have raised the bar a lot for plastic kits and they are very finely detailed. I'm more surprised that no one has made a decent new tool stab at Yorktown and Enterprise - far more important and famous ships than Brooklyns. That said I do have Corsair Armada's USS Honolulu, it's built but could do with some upgrading.

thanks

Mike

The price of kit's has been discussed on this forum many times before, as has been said before we all have our priorities,Mine is that I would prefer to have five resin plus four quality plastic ship kits in my stash, which I stand a chance of building than fifty plastic kits or more (some "modellers" I know have stashes well into four figures) which will never get built and superseded by later releases. Mike (the other one) and myself were discussing last week one such modeller who had recently bought a large qty of Matchbox/Revell K class destroyers to add to his stash that already had numerous examples of this kit, only to learn of Flyhawks future release, all I will say he was quite upset!

I have seen the Flyhawk Naiad that's why I said there are exceptions.The Brooklyn's might not have the "glamour" of the carriers but they are still an important class of warship especially in the context of USN cruiser design, After all we all have our favorite ships which we would like kitted.

I apologise to everyone for getting so far off topic.

Malcolm

Edited by Mal

My order arrived a couple of days ago of the IBG kits, they look good, quad pom pom could do with replacing but otherwise looks a first class effort. I have them in stock at £10.50 by the way http://www.starling-models.co.uk

In terms of pricing of resin kits, actually if you look at the quality of some kits, Orange Hobby for example, which come with etched parts as well, then they are not really much more than their plastic equivalents. I do appreciate that it is quite a bit more to spend but I think the cost gap between plastic and resin is narrowing.

Mike

• Like 1

That's ok. At least you'll be able to build a Brooklyn now. :thumbsup:

Well I do have a Naval Works Honolulu in my limited stash just have to hope the new kit will be a pre war fit, this has brought flooding back memories of the demise of my a CA Phoenix (built) memories that are far to painful to relate even after twelve years :weep:

Malcolm

Dave thanks for the heads up, just had a look, cant help having a feeling of De Javu, Some of the details look remarkably like scaled up versions of the CMK 1/72 interior and exterior sets, you would have thought at 1/48 they would have added more details? such as the piping runs under the command section, shown on the CMK illustration.

Chris

• Like 1

Ok maybe not the place for it, but if your into 1/600 ebay spot never heard of them before "old glory" this is nothing to do with me just saw it and thought of 1/600 modellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-600-Old-Glory-HMS-Royal-Sovereign-pre-Dreadnought-Battleship-kit-/391372999635?hash=item5b1fa60bd3:g:sXAAAOSwpzdWp9dT

Ok maybe not the place for it, but if your into 1/600 ebay spot never heard of them before "old glory" this is nothing to do with me just saw it and thought of 1/600 modellers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-600-Old-Glory-HMS-Royal-Sovereign-pre-Dreadnought-Battleship-kit-/391372999635?hash=item5b1fa60bd3:g:sXAAAOSwpzdWp9dT

Old Glory is normally associated with wargames models

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=532

I have no idea how good these are.

hataka paints is bringing a RN WWII set out

Interesting, especially as Lifecolor have 2 very nice RN sets out in acrylic.

thanks

Mike

PS, meant to say, at the moment Hataka's UK Importer (Emodels) won't stock individual paints, I know as I want the PRU Pink but I don't want to buy a whole set for 1 colour.

Edited by Mikemx

I've got 2 Xtracolor enamel tins of PRU pink if you want one Mike. I bought the second having misplaced the first inside the box of the PR Spitfire I wanted to paint pink...

Thanks for the kind offer James but I really want acrylic and the plus for lazy people like me, is that Hataka paints can be airbrushed straight from the jar....

thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mikromir have just released their 1/144 Holland class submarine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-144-UK-Holland-class-submarine-WWII-NEW-Mikromir-model-with-PE-/371562270151?hash=item5682d64dc7:g:th8AAOSw~OVW0BiL

More brit subs, its a good start to the year, with the promise of more to come including a 1/350 HMS Resolution SSBN, rumoured for this year, A class modified, (HMS Alliance) and a modified T class.

All the best Chris

• 2 weeks later...