New Ship Related Releases

I'm waiting until the Lifecolor paints arrive, hopefully that will be next week. Don't forget the colour scheme in the instructions is totally fictitious for Naiad!

thanks

Mike

Yes, I'd picked up on that. As for paints I'm probably going to stick with Vallejo colours as I've got so many.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Valiant yesterday - looks good! :thumbsup2:

The only really big clanger that I can see is the shape of the aircraft handling cranes. The Valiant's were angled in a shallow "V" whilst the kit has the same pattern as the Queen Elizabeth - straight with a separate boom mounted mid length. They're best replaced with photo etch anyway, so we'll see if one of the manufacturers releases a dedicated set for the class.

There's also the slightly odd inclusion of a number of 20mm oerlikons, which isn't right for a 1939 fit, but they can be omitted and the mounting holes filled. Trumpeter has included a total of 18 of them on the sprues, so it gives you the option of depicting Valiant after her 1942 refit after she had 16 oerlikons added.

Some of the sprues are labelled "Queen Elizabeth 1943" which contradicts what the scheduled fit of the upcoming QE kit is meant to be - 1941. It could be an indicator that Trumpy just used the 1/350 QE kit as a starting point and scaled down. The kit seems a bit "finer" than the Barham and Malaya kits, anyway. :hmmm:

My only grumpf with the kit is the choice of aircraft - they should be Swordfishes, not Walruses! :doh:

Mike. :)

• Like 2

We should have had Valiant in today but Parcelfarce had too many parcels to deliver, so ours is still in the Newcastle depot. I would wait for some proper etch to come out for the class, WEM were working on one and hopefully Tom's Modelworks from the US will still release it, as it had specific parts for the various class members.

thanks

Mike

PS don't forget the Lifecolor RN Acrylics are out now too!

• Like 2

Just a few additional observations on the Trumpeter 1/700 Valiant kit. As it as previously been stated the cranes are wrong, ignore the 20mm guns and don't put Walrus seaplanes on her, if you model her in 1939.

I've had a quick look at the kit and I agree, it looks very nice but I've spotted 2 further issues. The kit includes yagi radar ariels to fit on the HACS directors, ignore these. The only Radar Valiant had on completion of her rebuild in Nov 39, were 2 type 79's mounted on the top of each mast. So ignore any other radars!

Also I question the painting guide. On completion of her rebuild, she worked up around Bermuda and then joined the Home Fleet in January 1940. The standard colour for Home Fleet ships was APC507B Medium Grey on all vertical surfaces and I think the instructions mean for you to paint it this colour. However, the instructions say the decks were painted like the vertical surfaces, they were most certainly not! Steel decks would have been APC507A Dark Grey and wooden decks would be Natural wood.

The kit is still good and still worth getting if you like British battleships, just be aware of the minor errors, which are easily fixed. There's not too much specific etch you'll need for her either, a set of railings, inclined and vertical ladders, will provide most of what you need. However, I don't know of any sets that will provide the correct cranes or the type 79 radars (although you'll find the radar antennae on sets for other British ships).

Hope this helps!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

Yep, apart from those minor issues, I'd say it's a good'un. :thumbsup2:

For those of you who like to build full hull, the lower hull piece actually fits properly unlike the Barham and Malaya kits where it was too narrow at the top.

Another thing to watch out for is release agent on the parts. The forecastle deck is packaged wrapped in foam to protect the catapult extensions and had a fair bit of release agent covering it on my example.

I normally give my Trumpy kits a wash anyway, but I haven't seen as much as that on one before! :blink:

Mike. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aoshima are doing a USS Wasp CV7 in 1/700 scale, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE7rH2yUkAAWS5-.jpg:large hope it comes with spitfires for the Malta run. :yahoo:

Richard

It's already been mentioned in the Shizouka show thread, along with an IJA Aircraft Carrier (Yes IJA not IJN!)

thanks

Mike

If you can't see a 1/700 ship then you won't be able to see the smallest parts in a 1/350 kit either. Larger scales permit manufacturers to break down what would be one part in 1/700 into several smaller ones. The smallest part in a 1/350 ship kit will be the same size as the smallest part in a 1/700, but there'll be a whole lot more of them! From personal experience I suggest ageing (clumsier) fingers would be more of a problem, unless if manufacturers simply scaled up their 1/700 toolings, which rather defeats the purpose of the exercise. You can always get Optivisors and their like, or just single lenses, to help your eyes - nimbler finger extensions are not on the market.

The Flyhawk Dido has received rave reviews, but not one for those challenged by tiny parts - whatever the reason. I must admit finding the Dragon 1/700 US DDs right on the border for my own limitations, and have yet to pluck up the courage to press on with my USS Laffey. Coming with two in the box is just cruel - anyone interested in the spare?

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

I quite agree Graham, but it would still be nice to have these cruisers in 1:350 to go with all the lovely battleships and destroyers that have and are going to be released.

• 2 weeks later...

News Alert from Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Ark Royal and for real this time.This came from F.B. Trumpeter&Hobbyboss Fan club page.

10413312_473459132812685_209693341120549

Link To FB https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterModel/photos/a.103538733138062.8169.103526326472636/473459132812685/?type=1&theater

So first the 1/700 Aoshima kit and now the 1/350 Trumpter kit, more good news for RN Fans!

Also Mr Chewitt, was that your 1/700 HMS Nelson I saw in the comp, in the Northern Model show yesterday?

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

I'll lay odds that 1/350 Ark Royal may well be scaled down to 1/700. Given the shortcomings of the Aoshima kit Trumpeter might see an opportunity and duplication won't be issue for them.

If they do at least it'll be a tad easier to get in the UK!

Mike.

Yes

Thanks Chris

Very nicely done! Did you get anywhere in the comp? I bought the Shipcraft book while I was there, so i'll be admiring it a bit more!

I'll lay odds that 1/350 Ark Royal may well be scaled down to 1/700. Given the shortcomings of the Aoshima kit Trumpeter might see an opportunity and duplication won't be issue for them.

If they do at least it'll be a tad easier to get in the UK!

Mike.

I don't think the Aoshima kit is that bad. The bow is a little off which is the hard thing to correct, the weapons aren't great but you can get replacements from some guy in the US (quite nice they are too!). The dedicated etch set should help make it look nicer too.

Don't forget that Trumpeter haven't got the best record when it comes to accuracy and I bet a Trumpeter kit would be twice the price of the Aoshima kit too!

thanks

Mike

Who's the guy in the US selling replacement weapons for Ark Royal Mike ?

Roger.

3D Model Parts - here's the link

http://www.3dmodelparts.com/ship-accessories/?sort=featured&page=2

You can buy Ark Royal's weapons separately or as one complete set, note they many other useful bits for RN and USN ship models!

thanks

Mike