New Ship Related Releases

Thank you gentlemen...so I'll have to convert the Fujimi 1/700 kit. That should be fun as I do have reasonable drawings and hundreds of photos.

Thanks for the Merit suggestion, I'll try, but thanks again.

Graham

Thank you gentlemen...so I'll have to convert the Fujimi 1/700 kit. That should be fun as I do have reasonable drawings and hundreds of photos.

Thanks for the Merit suggestion, I'll try, but thanks again.

Graham

Just a thought, Orange Hobby did a post war angled flight deck Victorious and Falklands era Hermes. I wouldn't mind betting on them doing an Ark Royal IV at some point.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Just a thought, Orange Hobby did a post war angled flight deck Victorious and Falklands era Hermes. I wouldn't mind betting on them doing an Ark Royal IV at some point.

thanks

Mike

I thought BFM said Orangehobby were gathering data for HMS Eagle, so waiting for news on if that's going to be a kit or not

• Like 2

Last year, they asked for photos of HMS Eagle,because they have problems sourcing photos within China.Plus they have been very quiet on new models.Just never know . On to other ships ,my HMS Cleopatra 1/350 resin arrived today from Peter Hall "Atlantic models",very impressed,I,m busy with HMS Illustrious,so she will have to wait,but she will probably be next. :guitar:

• Like 1

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but couldn't larger models (for example 1/350 70's Ark or new QE) be done in less expensive vac-form? It only needs to be the hull and the rest could still be resin. I know there's a lack of detail, but these could be added with PE anyway. Do you even get vac-form ships?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but couldn't larger models (for example 1/350 70's Ark or new QE) be done in less expensive vac-form? It only needs to be the hull and the rest could still be resin. I know there's a lack of detail, but these could be added with PE anyway. Do you even get vac-form ships?

I think the problem would be that the hull would require quite a deep draw of the plastic over the former.

On a brighter note, I noticed that Peter is now also listing a Batch 1 Type 42 and a Batch 1 Type 22 on his future kits :thumbsup:

• Like 1

One for enthusiasts of current naval vessels:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37762&sid=7805645f6222578f7e89ab9e023aed49&start=920#p650854

Academy have announced that they are going to do the Korean LPH ROKS Dokdo (Wikipedia article) in 1/700 injected plastic.

Rather tempting, but I'd also like to see Sejong the Great class Aegis destroyer to go with it. :coolio:

Mind you, I'd also like Trumpeter to scale down some of their 1/350 Chinese units down to 1/700. I may have a long wait - they haven't scaled down their Udaloy's and Sovremenny's yet! :banghead:

Mike. :)

One for enthusiasts of current naval vessels:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37762&sid=7805645f6222578f7e89ab9e023aed49&start=920#p650854

Academy have announced that they are going to do the Korean LPH ROKS Dokdo (Wikipedia article) in 1/700 injected plastic.

Rather tempting, but I'd also like to see Sejong the Great class Aegis destroyer to go with it. :coolio:

Mind you, I'd also like Trumpeter to scale down some of their 1/350 Chinese units down to 1/700. I may have a long wait - they haven't scaled down their Udaloy's and Sovremenny's yet! :banghead:

Mike. :)

DreamModel did convert their Chinese Frigates from resin into Plastic in 1/700, which are rather nice, but no sign of them doing the same with the Destroyers

thanks

Mike

Hi...I have both, but I'm waiting for more detail on HMS Victorious, as the air group is for a later refit which includes a weather balloon station on the port round down, and the removal of stern AA mounts.

As pointed out below by Chewitt, Orange Hobby have a problem sourcing good details to proceed with HMS Eagle, so even if on the back-burner, her sister ship Ark hasn't been mentioned, I'm assuming they'll do the Eagle first, but I live in hope for an Ark, otherwise it'll be a long WIP for me.

Cheers,

Graham

• Like 1

Managed to get this at the weekend to go with some figures I already had was a little disappointed when I opened up the box as the part count is rather small but then this one did have all the deck fittings removed to make it lighter for the raid.

IMG_0353_zpsopbmy7n6.jpg

IMG_0351_zps9jmhzref.jpg

Beefy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Flyhawk HMS Naiad arrived today, 9 days from China with free P+P, takes some beating. In my opinion, anyone who buys this is in for a fantastic treat, almost everything you need to make a great model in one box. The quality and detail of the moulding is absolutely fantastic, masts are very fine and in a separate box. This is by far the best quality model I have ever bought, but am a bit awestruck by it and worried about making a complete hash of it.

Mick

• Like 1

Looks like the Colorado class are about to make an appearance in 1:350, with USS Maryland.

The US Navy's first 16" gun battleship class (prior to the North Carolina, South Dakota and Iowa class).

54f3d5132b34f.jpg

USS Maryland BB-46 1945

Item No.: 05770 Scale: 1:350

http://new2.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=42&l=en

Edited by Rob 1

Just a quick note for anyone who has got or who has ordered the Flyhawk Naiad. The kit instructions say the camouflage was Light Grey, Brown and Green. This is very unusual for a 1940 scheme and in one of Raven's RN camouflage books, he suggests the colours are Black, APC507B and APC507C, which to me would be far more likely as the APC507 colours were the standard in the early WW2 period. The steel decks would probably be APC507A and the wood decks in natural wood colour.

If I find out more I'll post my findings here.

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

Just a quick note for anyone who has got or who has ordered the Flyhawk Naiad. The kit instructions say the camouflage was Light Grey, Brown and Green. This is very unusual for a 1940 scheme and in one of Raven's RN camouflage books, he suggests the colours are Black, APC507B and APC507C, which to me would be far more likely as the APC507 colours were the standard in the early WW2 period. The steel decks would probably be APC507A and the wood decks in natural wood colour.

If I find out more I'll post my findings here.

thanks

Mike

Well, ISTR the artwork in the old Ensign series on the Didos and the Towns (by Raven and Roberts) featured several ships from the Norwegian campaign period with brown and green camo. Maybe Raven has since changed his mind on that? Meanwhile maybe Flyhawk are still following the Ensign book.

According to Ravens Warship Perspectives Camouflage Vol 1, Naiad was in the colours that Mike has mentioned, up until September 1941 when the 507A hull, 507C upperworks was introduced.

• Like 1

No further info on Naiad as yet and unless anyone can reasonably prove otherwise, i'll go with what it says in the Raven Camouflage book as previously mentioned.

BTW - Trumpeter's 1/700 USS Colorado is out now and It looks very nice indeed! For the benefit of those that don't know, USS Colorado was one of the US Navy's 'Big 5' battleships of the early 1920's. The Big 5 consisted of the California and Tennessee, which had 12 14 inch guns and Colorado, West Virginia and Maryland, which were armed with 8 16 inch guns. Off the top of my head the Colorado was the only one of the big 5 not at Pearl Harbour on Dec 7th 1941, she was back in the US refitting (at Mare Island I think) until March 42. As a result Colorado was not rebuilt like most of the battleships at Pearl Harbour and sailed out to Pearl Harbour in the summer of 42 to be part of the front line forces. Colorado spent most of the rest of the war on shore bombardment duties and providing AA cover for the various invasion fleets for the USN's Island hopping campaign. She gained 7 battle stars for WW2 action but did not take part in a major surface action (such as Surigao Strait at Leyte Gulf).

The model depicts Colorado in 1945. She had a modified appearance of a 1920's battleship but the foremast was still a cage mast. She carried an SK and SG radars, as well as fire control radars. She had a catapult on the stern with a Kingfisher. Her AA armament consisted of 8 5 inch guns, 6 quad and 2 twin Bofors and numerous oerlikons. Unlike most US battleships, she still carried some 5 inch 51 cal low angle guns and was painted in a Dazzle camouflage scheme.

The model looks nicely detailed and moulded like most Trumpeter ship kits. You can build it full hull or waterline and it comes with a small etch fret which covers the main parts you would like in etch, like the crane, catapult, SK radar and cage mast. All you really need to do is add some etch rails and ladders for a good looking model. Although, I really would recommend some Fine Molds quad and twin bofors guns and some etch single 20mm guns.

I'll be getting one, when I've sold a few more bits, this month's going to be expensive with this kit, the Eduard Spitfire VIII, AK Interactive IJN aircraft paints, Lifecolor Royal Navy paints and Eduard bits for Airfix's Do17!

thanks

Mike