New Ship Related Releases

But it is bound to be wrong and unbuildable.. :D

But something that is buildable..

sig41-2.jpg

This arrived in the mail on Thursday.. Aoshima's 1/350 IJN Kongo Limited Edition.

Looks ovely and no casemate issues like the Fujimi version.

Cheers

Warren

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Is she a sister ship of Haruna? If so, then we've just received a lovely Kagero plans book from Casemate UK which we will be reviewing soon.

Don't forget that Casemate UK is offering 20% off all their books until the end of January. There are some great Kagero 3D and plans books there.

Mike

Is she a sister ship of Haruna? If so, then we've just received a lovely Kagero plans book from Casemate UK which we will be reviewing soon.

Don't forget that Casemate UK is offering 20% off all their books until the end of January. There are some great Kagero 3D and plans books there.

Mike

Kongo was the lead ship of the class and looked very much like HMS Tiger when built. She was built in the UK, off the top of my head by Vickers at Barrow. The rest of the class consisted of Haruna, Kirishima and Hiei, which were built in Japan with help from Vickers. All four were massively rebuilt in the 1930's, with new superstructures, powerplants, AA armament etc and looked much like the box artwork. By 1944 they had an extra pair of twin 5 inch guns, a lot more light AA and radar.

thanks

Mike

I posted it so people could view the plans of the model and get some idea of what the model looked like. I don't know anything about the quality or how accurate the mouldings are. Also, I didn't realise there was an etched set by the same company.

I posted it so people could view the plans of the model and get some idea of what the model looked like. I don't know anything about the quality or how accurate the mouldings are. Also, I didn't realise there was an etched set by the same company.

I built the Revell Ark some years ago with various WEM and GMM bits. I vowed I'd never do that again so I for one am happy to see an alternative.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

There's some very nice modeller-friendly stuff there - I love the two-pronged sprue attachments for the floats, so that you don't have to recreate the notches after removing them.

Will

What is that happening on forward and aft superstructures half way up the door hatches? I see it on pics of the class but think its over done here looks like a step in the pics I thought cabling be then not

Isn't it a handrail?

Ah its a pity I have 2 wem didos built, though I could do with a Black Prince

Wouldn't Black Prince need quite a bit of modification, it being in the second batch that were redesigned for 4 twin turrets?

That said I bet if you're patient enough and build some of your stash, a Bellona class model might surface sometime. Lets face it, go back 3 or 4 years and no one would believe within the space of a year or so, we'd have plastic models in 1/700 of all 5 Queen Elizabeth's, a new Ark Royal, 2 versions of HMS Belfast and now a Dido!

While I'm waiting for more new stuff, I still have my Hood, Duke of York (Tamiya POW base kit), Rodney, Zulu, Huron, Badsworth, Starling, Winchester, Scorpion, Kelly, Malaya, Warspite, Searcher and Royal Sovereign to do, so I know I've got plenty to do while waiting!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

When is Peter ever going to release Ark IV? I saw his gorgeous 1/350th rendition and I thought...'By Jove that's the best looking goer I've ever seen'! But, April Fool's apart, I understand it is such an iconic ship that Peter just wants to get it right. I for one, will never blame him for his fastidiousness.

Roll on a 1/700 Aoshima conversion I'm doing, but I'm just dying for a late Ark IV in 1/350th.

• Like 1

I think a 1:350 Ark IV in resin would cost an arm and a leg, plus a kidney or two, so it isn't going to happen. BUt we may be seeing an Ark III in 1:350 from Trumpeter if the latest aircraft sets are anything to go by. The only other company that might do it are Merit, so start badgering them.

• Like 3

When is Peter ever going to release Ark IV? I saw his gorgeous 1/350th rendition and I thought...'By Jove that's the best looking goer I've ever seen'! But, April Fool's apart, I understand it is such an iconic ship that Peter just wants to get it right. I for one, will never blame him for his fastidiousness.

A few months ago I had some correspondence with Pete about the possibility of doing HMS Fearless or Intrepid in 1/350, I thought it might be a possibility as they're about the same length as the County class that he's already done.

Pete pointed out to me that as the hull and superstructures are much bulkier, the amount of resin required compared to the Counties is substantial, and the selling price would be astronomically high and commercially unviable, as the Ark would be bigger again I think you can say this is a no-hoper.

• Like 2