Best 1/72 Aircraft

mobydog

It's just a pity that Eduard no longer have any of their Spitfires of Bf110's in their range at present, or thinking about it anything of interest WW2 wise apart from a re-hash of their ageing Hellcat which is well past its sell by date IMHO.

Not sure exactly what was trashed in their fire but hopefully some of their better molds have survived?

Regards

Colin.

Interesting to see such an old thread pop back up, and contemplate how the scene has changed over that time. It's been a fantastic decade for 1/72 scale!

My vote today, though, would go to Tamiya. As mentioned above the Zero variants, Bf 109G-6, and Ki-61 have a combination of detail, accuracy, and easy-to-build engineering that are at the top, with the slightly older Corsair and Thunderbolt very close...though a horde of excellent Eastern European manufacturers are right behind them.

Unsolicited editorial comment: Tamiya is missing a sure bet by not making equal quality kits of some other WW2 Japanese fighters!

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Not sure exactly what was trashed in their fire but hopefully some of their better molds have survived?

None of the Eduard molds were damaged in the fire. They did lose about a million plastic sprues intended to go into future kit releases.

• Thanks 2

On 3/9/2022 at 12:30 AM, fishplanebeer said:

It's just a pity that Eduard no longer have any of their Spitfires of Bf110's in their range at present, or thinking about it anything of interest WW2 wise apart from a re-hash of their ageing Hellcat which is well past its sell by date IMHO.

Regards

Colin.

I managed to pick up a Spitfire Mk.VIII profipack from Slovakia!

Will also be picking up some more Tamika kits in addition to the Tamika F4 Corsair I’ve bought.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markoid said:

I managed to pick up a Spitfire Mk.VIII profipack from Slovakia!

Will also be picking up some more Tamika kits in addition to the Tamika F4 Corsair I’ve bought.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Congrats'. The Eduard Spitfires are absolute gems. For inspiration see my build (Not a VIII, but a IX, they are very close and share a lot of parts):

/Finn