Sepecat Jaguar A - 1:48 Kitty Hawk

Mike

I don't like to judge based on photographs for the obvious reasons but the leading edge curve looks a little too scalloped to me. Probably effect of photography . . .

I'm inclined to agree that it's actual, as both sprues with wing parts show it. There seems to be a break where the curved section meets the straight, with the straight section having increased sweep; whereas it should be a smooth transition along the curve into the straight.

On the sprue with the wheels, what are those two ribbed objects next to them?

Edited by pigsty

This may help, I took this photo many moons ago at Abingdon.

http://www.flickr.co...157617639652433

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - for all the plumbing, scratch or aftermarket resin is usually the best way forward, but the kit doesn't seem to include any fittings or engine accessories either...That way it would look extremely bare and unrealistic OOB. Don't quite understand why they did it that way....the AB and nozzle end looks really nice though.

Can anyone comment on the intake ducting and compressor faces? I think that they might be constructed from multiple pieces as part of the wheel well construction (perhaps those large ribbed pieces?), but that's difficult to tell without seeing the instructions...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Can anyone comment on the intake ducting and compressor faces? I think that they might be constructed from multiple pieces as part of the wheel well construction (perhaps those large ribbed pieces?), but that's difficult to tell without seeing the instructions...

Not sure about the ducts but it looks like one-piece compressors (fourth sprue picture, RH side, centre) as well as one-piece turbines (second sprue picture, left of centre, just to the right of the ribbed thingies). Those ribbed thingies could be the inter-engine firewall - there's a locating tab that matches a part on the next sprue down - but that leaves the question, why does one have two holes in it and the other none?

Not sure about the ducts but it looks like one-piece compressors (fourth sprue picture, RH side, centre) as well as one-piece turbines (second sprue picture, left of centre, just to the right of the ribbed thingies). Those ribbed thingies could be the inter-engine firewall - there's a locating tab that matches a part on the next sprue down - but that leaves the question, why does one have two holes in it and the other none?

Someone already answered the inter-engine firewall question further up. Pay attention at the back! :whip: The holes are location sockets for the facing posts that you can't see on the pic.

The intakes are just (very nicely done) boxes for the front of the fuselage, and the space inside the fuselage is just covered with boxes for the bays etc. The forward engine bulkhead is the next piece of the jigsaw that the eye will meet if you can look down them, and that holds the engine-fronts in those two holes :) All in the review boys ;)

I've always had a soft spot for the French Jaguar, so this just went on the list. Nice review Bossmeister!!

Jonners

Thanks, the Jon-machine ;)

The airbrakes look like the production version.

Do I see chaff dispensers next to them?

This is a must buy next year when the Brit version

arrives.

DARK GREEN/DARK SEA GREY ONLY OK!

Trevor the grey and pink Jag hater

if the engine bay is displayed open there is not a bit of detail included in the kit for all the engine accessories, electrics and plumbing in there so you need good references and a well-stocked spares box.

If its good references then check out our Walkaround. The Jaguar one (abait RAF Version) if probably our most extensive walkaround to date. Shed loads of pics in there.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70916

Julien

no, the nose more different.

Can anyone confirm if there is a difference between the nose of the French A model and the original RAF deliveries without the laser rangefinder? The plans I have seen look identical.

Thanks

Edited by dambuster

Can anyone confirm if there is a difference between the nose of the French A model and the original RAF deliveries without the laser rangefinder? The plans I have seen look identical.

Thanks

Cant confirm - but I believe they are the same. IIRC the original RAF ones were delivered with the same nose as the Adl'A A's, awaiting the RAFs own LRF chisel. I think Bill Clarke used a nose from a French A when he did his early RAF Jag build.

I think Mr Song was perhaps just caught between languages and translations in that reply.

Cheers

Jonners

Don't know the list price yet

Hobbylink Japan have the Jag priced the same as the F-35, which Hannants are selling for £39.99. So I would expect the Jag to have a U.K RRP around the £40.00 mark, probably be able to shave around a fiver off that if you shop around.

I'm assuming that by removing the undernose fairing and replacing the seat it is possible to build this as a very early RAF aircraft? Am I right?

Yes, Some of the Early RAF Jag's serving with 54 Sqn and 226OCU had 'pointy noses'. At least one- XX111 (or '101?) had a plain tail too - minus RWR pod! But you also have both types of fin included.....The RAF Seat is included on the sprues!

Only issues may be the pylons....

But that is a nice looking kit! I'll certainly be treating myself to one!

Guest squezzer

Concerning the point in the review about the single tank and its use as a centerline store only:

The single fuel tank can be used as an underwing store as well as a centerline one. When the french air force Jags used the targeting pod (ATLIS) and laser guided weapons at the same time, they flew in disymetrical store configuration (2 different types):

Common: external left: jammer (Barax or Barracuda), centerline: ATLIS, external right: 1xMAGIC II AAM, wing roots: LLP 5020 chaffs and flares dispensers or, in the earlier years before the introduction of LLP502: discard the MAGIC II AAM and replace it with Phimat chaffs dispenser.

Type 1: internal left: 1x400KG or 1x1000kg MATRA BGL laser guided bomb

Type 2: internal left: tank, external right: 1xAS30L laser guided missile

To use the AS30L, you have to clip the pointy nose of the pylon and sand it to a vertical leading edge (see the link below)

http://www.google.fr...,r:16,s:0,i:134

Edited by squezzer

Wow Boss, what a sparkling review.....most excellent old man. I've got a question...the right answer will save me immense amounts of dosh. The LGB's on the weapons sprue or the 5th photo in the line; are those usable for a Brit smart munition or are those strictly a French affair. If usable I could kill two birds with one throw; I can get a very nice Jag kit with ordy I can use on a Harrier GR5.

Wow Boss, what a sparkling review.....most excellent old man. I've got a question...the right answer will save me immense amounts of dosh. The LGB's on the weapons sprue or the 5th photo in the line; are those usable for a Brit smart munition or are those strictly a French affair. If usable I could kill two birds with one throw; I can get a very nice Jag kit with ordy I can use on a Harrier GR5.

The LGB's are used by the French and not weapons used by the RAF or RN. Not sure if it spoils your plans or not but the GR5 was never cleared to drop LGB'S that came later with the GR7. You could however use the cluster bombs in the Jaguar kit and the rocket pods if they are SNEB rocket pods.

HTH, Muzz

• 2 weeks later...

According to Dave Williams on ARC they forgot to include the correct launch rails for French Jags:

One thing I noticed is that although you get Sidewinder and Magic missiles in the box, you don't get any launch rails for them. The sprues do include the overwing launch rails as unused parts, but AFAIK those were used on RAF Jags, not the French Jags, which carried them only on the outboard underwing pylons.

• 5 weeks later...