robvulcan

Hi guys i wondered if there has ever been or if there would be interest in a b-17 group build. i know there are plenty of them to model. and there a popular beautiful machine at least i think so.

So how about it. i have been putting off building one for far too long now. anyone else got the urge

cheers Rob

awsome. if we get enough to justify a GB will someone help me run it. or would someone like to run it. i failed miserably with my first one due to unforseen commitments but should be more active now.

Really enjoyed building the 1:72 Revel kit for the USAAFE GB could be persuaded to build another

well you could do a B 17 F looks good as well ,pick one up last week

So Im in

wellzy :headphones:

Hmmmm,

Might be interresting. I still have à 1/48 B-17G in my stash.

Count me in, depending on when it will take place.

Cheers

Edited by Arniec

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the calender guys and the earliest date will be early in 2014 given 15 interested members and hosts.

Hi Mish would be up to host this one

Les (wellzy)

• 3 weeks later...

Not primarily a WWII fan but,I'd be up for this. Any bomber group build works for me!!

I hope sometime to embark on my own personal bomber group build - especially with the new Airfix Lancaster(s?) on the horizon! I'd like to do a series of RAF monoplane bombers from the Wellesley onwards..

This G B might be the start. I already have the Academy B-17C & B-17E which will both be RAF versions. Can somebody more knowledgable advise me if the RAF operated the B-17G?

This G B might be the start. I already have the Academy B-17C & B-17E which will both be RAF versions. Can somebody more knowledgable advise me if the RAF operated the B-17G?

I believe so. I am not a expert on this, but I found this link with a picture of a G. http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?11794-B-17

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Can somebody more knowledgable advise me if the RAF operated the B-17G?

Yes they did operate the G version as the Fortress III - although due to the secret nature of 100 Group pictures can be hard to come by.

All of the G versions I have seen had the H2S scanner mounted where the chin turret was, which was similar in size and profile to the Lancaster radome housing. Cheek windows were often painted over and the guns taken out.

Ball turrets were removed, and there were often 'TV aerials' (well they look like them!) mounted either side of the tail gunner's position. Some had the waist guns taken out too, and those that did retain them had a kind of frame work on the exterior to stop the gunner shooting off parts of his own aircraft in the dark! Guns were fitted with flash suppressors, too.

The bomb bay was full of radio-countermeasure equipment, and many Forts had a large spine aerial protruding from the left side of the radio room.

There were also 'window chutes' just aft of where the ball turret was on either side of the fuselage.

Woody built a lovely example of a Bomber Command B-17G on here somewhere, it's well worth a look.

HTH,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

• 2 months later...

I'm in too. A Revell 1:72 kit is all I know now, and an OD one, no nmf for me please! V-P

EDITED 21.11.13: I´ll back out of this. While brushpainting a pair of twin engined heavy fighters I made a promise to myself that I´ll never, never build a four engine bomber :-)

Edited by vppelt68