Battle of Britain Memorial flight Chipmunk WK518 Hull UAS 2012

Hi all,

I just wanted to post my latest offering which is an update to the 'new' Airfix Chipmunk release this year!

Browsing Flypast Magazine a few months ago I saw a stunning picture of a Dayglo Orange and silver/grey (debates rage on) Chipmunk of the BBMF which had been rolled out the paint shop. The aircarft represents a scheme worn in 1961 when operating for Hull UAS. This means a few things:

The Airfix kit released this year now out of date, well for WK518 anyway.

A challange was presented to create this latest Chippy.

Who can resist a Dayglo scheme!

So off I went to research this in more depth.

Suprisingly there are not many pictures available on the web of this aircraft and those that are do not show exactly what the crest on the engine cowlings is of. I assumed it was Hull UAS, but it might be the BBMF crest? I found out with the fantastic help of 2 people that it is in fact that of Hull University Air Squadron with the letters RAFVR at the bottom.

The 2 individuals were fellow Britmodeller Airfix Andy, who sent some great pictures of the aircraft and info and I promised I would mention him here if I managed this model, so thanks Andy.

The other was Shaun Connor who had posted some images on the web. I contacted him and was staggered when he replied almost straight away to provide a raw larger image showing the crest clearly. When searching this on the net I found no usable pictures of the crest but I was able to crop the crest from Shaun's photo to use.

The resulting model is pictured below. I am happy with it, although the dayglo is more dayglo in real life, than it appears on the pictures.

_MG_6273.jpg

_MG_6270.jpg

_MG_6266.jpg

_MG_6278.jpg

_MG_6337.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

Ok so the crest is so small it can hardly be seen, but I know it is there and correct!

Feel free to leave CC and comments etc.

Many thanks

Tommy

Edited by tommyinuk0
  • Like 3

Tommy

Lovely model and very realistic background. Here's a shot of WK518 taken earlier this year which confirms that the main airframe colour is a dull aluminium rather than LAG.

chippy1.jpg

Regards and thanks for sharing

Mark

• 4 months later...

Warris,

That sounds like an exciting project, I don't know if this scheme is planned to be released? It would fill a gap in the Chippy lifespan. I would like to see the Red/White scheme re-released. I made the decals myself but I will PM you as I may be able to help out.

Tommy