Best way to build a Canberra B2 in 1/72

Meatbox8

Hi guys,

I've tried my hand at the search function and ended up here :bye:

I have a B2 (actually a B62) Canberra on my to do list and to this end I aquired the old Airfix B2 kit.

Now, understanding that there are anyway a couple of outline issues with its nose section, please do tell me if I am completely wrong assuming that I could go ahead and try grafting the cockpit section (canopy) from the B2 to the fuselage of the newer Airfix B(I)8?

I couldn't figure out by myself what the other external differences between the two marks are in outline and dimensions.

Please help! :blush:

Hi Niki

You can go that way, that's very much the way I did my B(I)8 mod. WT333 http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4646365-wt333-b-i-8-mod?page=1 all be it this Canberra has a radar nose but you could use the clear part from the B(I)8 kit which to some extent will correct the dodgy profile of the old kit. The other item to address would be the starter cartridge bullet, the B.62 has the single cartridge starter with a shorter blunter shape and just two gas exhausts. take a look here http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11272686 for more B.62 Have a look here for more photos http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12613302 and here http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11572749 I hope that helps?

John

Thanks a lot, John! That's quite encouraging.

I guess my biggest worry was the likely [too big a] difference in outline and dimensions between the nose sections of the real B2 and B(I)8.

Those links you gave me will be put to good use for sure :thumbsup2:

And by the way, your Canberras are stunning!

Cheers,

Niki

• Like 1

Here are the modified patterns for my proposed new Canberra B2/6 conversion for the Airfix Canberra B(I).8. I plan to use the kit nose glazing or I may mould the other two noses in the picture in clear plastic with one the bomber nose and the other doubling as an early PR or T.4. Note the nose contours of the Canberra are the same unless the nose has a radical change (T.11). There are a few other bits. The nosewheel bay in the picture is the Airfix one which will be used from the kit slightly modified. The break chosen is the frame at which allCanberra special noses are fitted ie T.17,T.19 etc.

John

AirfixVampire014_zps3c34457b.jpg

• Like 5

Looking really good John!

I have one of your Vacform conversions (the complete fuselage), but have been afraid to use it in case I mess it up (my previous forays into the vacform field haven't fared too well!) so this looks like the perfect answer to my B2/B6 prayers!

Jim

Here are the modified patterns for my proposed new Canberra B2/6 conversion for the Airfix Canberra B(I).8. I plan to use the kit nose glazing or I may mould the other two noses in the picture in clear plastic with one the bomber nose and the other doubling as an early PR or T.4. Note the nose contours of the Canberra are the same unless the nose has a radical change (T.11). There are a few other bits. The nosewheel bay in the picture is the Airfix one which will be used from the kit slightly modified. The break chosen is the frame at which allCanberra special noses are fitted ie T.17,T.19 etc.

John

AirfixVampire014_zps3c34457b.jpg

Looks great. Will be looking out for it.

Great John! That is the best piece of modelling news I've had in a long time!

Hi Folks

This is a very interesting discussion. It is a bit of an open secret that we have been working on a new tool Canberra for a while. It has been progressing slowly between Mirage versions and whenever I get a chance to do a bit of measuring.

The current state is that we are happy with the CAD model of the basic outline (first consideration) and are now working on the interior and panel lines. With the current High Planes limited run kit we had all the various lines etched and provided instructions on which to fill for the various marks, which we might do again. The interior is proving challenging to simplify and model in 3D. It's a real jungle in there and my hat goes off to anyone who flew in the back seat.

Graham's comments hit the nail on the head about the commercial aspects of the kit. I would love to be able to price the same as Airfix. Working against us though is (obviously) the lower production volumes, but also the current low value of the pound and the high VAT rate. This will make all kits imported from outside Europe seem expensive, at least until things improve economically.

Which does raise the question - how attractive is a multimedia kit (with plastic main parts, resin interior & engine faces) compared to an all plastic kit? Chip in with your view at our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/questions/525407087510909/ The upfront tooling costs are much lower on a multimedia kit, but we are worried the market may be too small.

As an aside, the tooling for our next kit (the Mirage IIID two seater) shows a big jump in the finesse of the panel lines. There is a learning curve on this stuff and we are having fun with getting better at it.

All the best

Christopher

HPM Hobbies

http://www.hpmhobbies.com

• Like 1

That's good news Christopher. On balance I'd rather have a full injection kit but I'm happy with the mixed media approach too, as long as the parts fit and there is a definite advantage to them being included. As a matter of interest what Mk/Mk's are you planning on producing? Will you produce different wings, wet and dry, and fuselages with strengthening plates and without? Big wheels and little wheels etcetera, this would be an ideal opportunity to get it right!

John

• 8 months later...

AFAIK there are five basic mainstream kits of Canberra/B-57: old Airfix (in B.2/6 and RB-57 guise), new Airfix (BI.8 and PR.9), Frog, Matchbox/Revell and Italeri. So with NO special (short-run, resin, metal) parts what is the BEST (from aesthetical and economical point of view) way to build a B.2 like flown in 1956 Musketeer ops? In my country I can buy Frog clone for ŁSt 4.-, Italeri RB-57G for ŁSt 8.-, Airfix BI.6 for ŁSt 10.-, Revell PR.9 for ŁSt 12.- and "new" Airfix for ŁSt 15.-.

I know that Airfix BI.6 is the only one with right canopy and 'new' Airfix is the only one with detailed u/c bays and engraved lines. But are there any serious shape issues (like bulbous nose in "old" Airfix) in "new" Airfix kits? How about the outline of Italeri RB-57? What could be Matchbox/Revell kit needed for? Is cross-kitting of "old" Airfix with Frog wings and nose enough to get a decent Canberra?

AFAIK there are five basic mainstream kits of Canberra/B-57: old Airfix (in B.2/6 and RB-57 guise), new Airfix (BI.8 and PR.9), Frog, Matchbox/Revell and Italeri. So with NO special (short-run, resin, metal) parts what is the BEST (from aesthetical and economical point of view) way to build a B.2 like flown in 1956 Musketeer ops? In my country I can buy Frog clone for ŁSt 4.-, Italeri RB-57G for ŁSt 8.-, Airfix BI.6 for ŁSt 10.-, Revell PR.9 for ŁSt 12.- and "new" Airfix for ŁSt 15.-.

I know that Airfix BI.6 is the only one with right canopy and 'new' Airfix is the only one with detailed u/c bays and engraved lines. But are there any serious shape issues (like bulbous nose in "old" Airfix) in "new" Airfix kits? How about the outline of Italeri RB-57? What could be Matchbox/Revell kit needed for? Is cross-kitting of "old" Airfix with Frog wings and nose enough to get a decent Canberra?

With the list of what you can get I'd say the best option would be the new Airfix B(I)8 plus the nose from the old Airfix B(I)6 if you follow the way I did this build http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7721696-hapr-9-wh793-this-time-at-the-end-of-the-story but useing the 8 and 6 and the clear nose from the B(I)8 you will end up with a good B.2 or B.6. If you want to build a B.2 useing this method you will need to modifie the starter cartidge fairing to the shorter rounder B.2 type but this isn't a big job. Take a look at the engine albums here, http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/

I forgot to say, about the only option for the Matchbox PR.9 would be to use it for a PR.7 using the PR.9 fuselage and the nose from the old Airfix B(I)6 FROG wings and tail.

John

Edited by canberra kid