Kinetic F-5A Freedom Fighter

Hi everyone, just finished my 1/48 scale F-5A

SAM_5430.jpg

done as an aircraft of the South Vietnamese Air Force, Bien Hoa, 23rd Wing, 522sq (according to the instructions)

SAM_5433.jpg

Virtually all OOB, only additions include:some extra antenna on the fuselage spine, gun barrels from brass tube and

SAM_5437.jpg

some home made seat straps, I also made some new rear view mirrors as the kit ones went `ping` never to be seen again.

SAM_5436.jpg

Kit went together quite well despite its mutli part fuselage and the decals were great

SAM_5442.jpg

also I managed to choose the one with only one bit of P.E. (phew)

hope you enjoy looking at.

• Like 5

How have you done the weathering on the underneath? Im only just starting to venture in to the world of weathering so looking for good hints and tips. Have you used a promodeller type wash or is that something different?

James

Cheers James, my method of weathering is: after matt varnishing, I draw the panel lines in with a soft (hb) mechanical pencil then with a small stiffish brush, dry brush the weathering colour over the panel lines (usually a olive drab or dk grey or both ) depending on where the panel is, like underneath where the engines are, round the wing roots and control surfaces are to try and simulate grime and leaks or maintenance. If I over do a bit then before it drys you can usually rub it with a pencil eraser to blend it in or remove it. All my models are brush painted enamels. Thanks for asking and hope this helps.

Also i dry brush the centre of panels with a lighter shade to simulate sun bleaching /wear etc. and take it over the decals in the area but not quite as heavily.

Thanks to everyone for commenting and looking and nice feed back !!

Very nice 'Tigger' - It has a well worn feel to it, that you captured successfully. I like the checker board decal especially......