RV Aircraft 1/72 MiG-21 Fishbed family

172flogger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

What did you think about the shape of the spine?

It seems to look good for me.

I have to confess that my fishbedomania is waning a bit so I'm not sure that I'll buy the kit. I was disappointed by the SMT so I didn't buy the following kits. If RV makes a Bison and that the windscreen and canopy are correct, perhaps I'll buy it.

Wow... the nose may be correct this time. Still no tanks though.

Hi Laurent,

Yes, it luckily is.

What did you think about the shape of the spine?

Regards

Jim Barr

Hello Jim,

Pretty good but look at the pictures of the spine close to the fin leading edge. Looks slightly off for me. A tad tall maybe.

Cheers,

AaCee

I have the kit and when comparing the spine to the real bis the area that most concerns me is where the spine starts at the back of the canopy to about 3/4 of the way past the front of the wheel well "bulge", it dips down too far giving the model a mini SMT look. Add in as you mention that there seems to be something a little off from where the spine meets the vertical stabilizer until it stops, not much but "something". I hope I am wrong and my MK I eyeballs are off.

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr

RV Fishbeds are complete waste of time and money. They have serious shape errors and are covered with engraved rivets which would make real plane unfliable had they existed. If you stand in front of the real plane there is nothing comparable to this suirface destruction which these kits offer.

Shape and moneywise are Zvezda's Fishbeds much better and you can also make M/MF/R versions with the help of available conversion sets on the market.

One could also expect Eduard to make their effort in 1/72nd scale so there is really no reason for these stillborns.

RV Fishbeds are complete waste of time and money. They have serious shape errors and are covered with engraved rivets which would make real plane unfliable had they existed. If you stand in front of the real plane there is nothing comparable to this suirface destruction which these kits offer.

Shape and moneywise are Zvezda's Fishbeds much better and you can also make M/MF/R versions with the help of available conversion sets on the market.

One could also expect Eduard to make their effort in 1/72nd scale so there is really no reason for these stillborns.

I wouldn't write the RV SMT off totally.

The riveting looks about right on the edges of the tail and on some of the panels on the fuselage, but agree the riveting looks overdone on the larger tail/ fuselage panels when you compare a pic of an SMT ap_mig-21smt_1600_09.jpg

with the RV SMT kit

MiG-21SMT_RV13.jpg

I think Mr Surfacer might be needed in places though :) :) as the actual panels only show subtle riveting through the centre of the panels as shown in other pics on the walkaround site and in the SMT pic where the sunlight has hit the spine. Will be interesting to see how a covering of Mr Surfacer tones them down?

Edited by azzaob

OK, but is written off example that was exposed to elements for who-knows-how long-time good argument for rivets? I always make comparison with planes in use and in 90% of cases rivets are not that visible on them. Besides, rivets in 1/72nd scale should be visible only from certain angles or otherwise they would be discs on real aircraft.

OK, but is written off example that was exposed to elements for who-knows-how long-time good argument for rivets? I always make comparison with planes in use and in 90% of cases rivets are not that visible on them. Besides, rivets in 1/72nd scale should be visible only from certain angles or otherwise they would be discs on real aircraft.

Not having a local MiG-21SMT to look at I guess I am reliant on internet pics such as these, but I still think the riveting in some areas is quite accurate. I don't know why the riveting was done so heavily/intricately along the centres of the panels in this scale. Whilst obviously heavily "weathered" the picture does show quite heavy riveting existed. Agree an inservice version would not have the staining / rust marks and streaks.

But I still do not think the RV kits are a complete waste of time and money as you suggest Marko? The Art Model MiG-23 kit I have has very similar riveting details though some panels on the lower fuselage and a light sweep of Mr Surfacer certainly covered them - paint does mosty also.

Regards, Aaron

Edited by azzaob

Hi Marko

Yes I agree with you that the rivets along the centre of panelling don't show up on pics of the aircraft - clearly they are covered by paint, as they would be on most modeller's kits - just don't see them as consigning RV MiGs to being a complete waste of time. I too have found the Zvezda MiGs nice little kits to assemble sans rivetting. But bang for buck you do get a fair amount for your money with the RV [and Art Model] MiGs don't you think?

See http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935841-mig-21smt-fishbed-k-2x-rv-aircraft-172/

Aaron

Edited by azzaob

• 3 years later...

Have You seen?
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpermalink.php%3Fstory_fbid%3D1584031991717193%26id%3D412179818902422&width=500" width="500" height="646" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

You need to go for "advanced" and copy a direct URL of post.

Edited by Botan
  • Thanks 1

@RidgeRunner  remember you discussing the lack of UM kits in this scale in the eduard topic and hence tagged you here . I have built their Bis kit , it is short run but goes together nicely enough .