Airfix 1/48th Spitfire PRXIX

Dave Fleming

I'm not going to read ANY reviews...I really don't want to hear that it's an unbuildable POS from anyone. Saw a real one at Kemble a few years ago, up close when it started

spit-XIX.jpg

Want it, panel lines, prop problems or whatever. Hey, I'm a modeller and I ain't afraid of no panel lines....:D

All I can say is that it looked excellent on the stand at Telford, and if Mr Roy Sutherland can give it his thumbs up too, then that should be enough for 99.9% of modellers.

I'm sure someone somewhere will find something to moan about with this kit, but from what I saw, Airfix will shift a whole load of these!

Which will give them the income to get the Tempest sorted out for release end of next year.

Jonners

All I can say is that it looked excellent on the stand at Telford, and if Mr Roy Sutherland can give it his thumbs up too, then that should be enough for 99.9% of modellers.

I'm sure someone somewhere will find something to moan about with this kit, but from what I saw, Airfix will shift a whole load of these!

Which will give them the income to get the Tempest sorted out for release end of next year.

Jonners

Or another Spitfire , Jonners

Andrew

• Like 1

I'm really hoping that was one of those things that wasn't supposed to slip out! Spits: yeah-baby; Typhoons: well...; Tempests: Oh yeah.

bob

We're all going to look daft when they announce that the only kit they are doing for next year is a 1/48 Albermarle....................

Ps..... on the quiet I want more .......lots more Spits

We're all going to look daft when they announce that the only kit they are doing for next year is a 1/48 Albermarle....................

We might not be the only ones looking daft: think of the Airfix rep. going to a a wholesaler and saying "we'll be doing a 1/48 Albemarle" . The most likely reply would be "a 1/48 Albewhat ? Is it an aircraft or a ship ? Is it edible ?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. the joke coming from someone who has a 1/72 vac kit of the type and intends to build it !

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

How about a 1/48th Blackburn Blackburn? :hypnotised:

I didn't catch when the new Spit is due out? Nice if it arrived with the Type 45 Frigate in time for Yule....

When I first heard that Airfix were doing this kit I was a little disappointed. I really wanted a XIV, preferably the bubbletop version.

But then I considered the sort of things I like to build. I build numerous models of types which have subtle changes between each model. I love to see how camouflage and other markings evolved. I can see at least five different scheme and marking variations for the XIX - and that's only considering RAF service.

So suddenly I'm very happy with this kit!

And if Airfix release a Mk XVIII in due course, the wings from that and the fuselage from the XIX will give us an early XIV.

It's all good! :D

I was going to say, "But I've already got one!" ...and then I remembered that that was an Albacore.

I don't know if even the obscure vac and resin producers want to do an Albemarle!

bob

I was going to say, "But I've already got one!" ...and then I remembered that that was an Albacore.

I don't know if even the obscure vac and resin producers want to do an Albemarle!

bob

It's a bit left field i know......but........................ :coat:

Edited by jenko

Having modelled PS853 in her current guise using the Airfix 72nd scale kit I'll have to find another machine to model in 48th. Either that or do her justice in the larger scale.

bob

Well, Valom did a short run 1/72 plastic kit recently, so maybe at some point some company might do one in 1/48... after having seen some of the kits issued in the last few years nothing can surprise me anymore ! :lol:

Having modelled PS853 in her current guise using the Airfix 72nd scale kit I'll have to find another machine to model in 48th. Either that or do her justice in the larger scale.

Fortunately there's plenty of interesting options for a XIX. Wonder if the box will allow the modeller to build a non pressurised aircraft too ? One with invasion stripes wouldn't look bad !

Edited by Giorgio N

I'm not going to read ANY reviews...I really don't want to hear that it's an unbuildable POS from anyone. Saw a real one at Kemble a few years ago, up close when it started

spit-XIX.jpg

Want it, panel lines, prop problems or whatever. Hey, I'm a modeller and I ain't afraid of no panel lines.... :D

This one is also my favourite scheme for the Spitfire Mk.XIX - and the one I used when I converted the Academy XiVc in to a XIX.

pic6.jpg

I would have liked to see this one as one of the schemes in the kit.

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I'm with you on that Karl, decals to do her in either current trim complete with Rolls Royce lettering and 'I Spy' character or period costume, either that or included in an aftermarket sheet for PR Spits.

Fortunately there's plenty of interesting options for a XIX. Wonder if the box will allow the modeller to build a non pressurised aircraft too ? One with invasion stripes wouldn't look bad !

I think Airfix missed trick here. If they has provided the blower intake as a separate piece and both shallow and deep rear hood sections together with a cutting guide for the fuselage, then two versions could have been built from the box. As it is a conversion will involve a bit of cutting and sanding, which is not too difficult and the provision of a deeper rear canopy section, which some may find more problematic until the aftermarket boys catch on. Oddly, there is a deep canopy section in the Airfix Mk IX kit (I wonder if they intended a Mk VII as a future release?) This kit pre-dates Hornby and may not have exactly the right dimensions, but when I get my hands on a Mk XIX I may give it a go.

• 1 month later...

I hope some one will do the "I Spy" decals for the current Mk19 owned by Rolls Royce. I was lucky enough to see her in her hanger lsat year and get some good shots of her. I talked to the very knowledgeable tecs. who as you would expect pointed me to the important things to look at

• 5 weeks later...

I've just received this email regarding the PR.xix:

"Hi Jason,

This item has just arrived in the factory, the item should start appearing in shops towards the end of this week and start of next. Please allow a few days for the kit to appear for sale on the website.

Regards,

Sophie Dye

Customer Care"

:) happy days.

• Like 1