Airfix 1/48th Spitfire PRXIX

Dave Fleming

Looking at it, I can certainly see a design lineage shared with the Mk XII as the parts geometry looks very similar (especially the separate ailerons, rudder and elevators.

I like this choice as it means in my case, I could potentially kitbash a Mk XIVc using bits from both kits to do one. But what I really like, a kitbash with a donor Mk IX (not necessarily the Airfix one, although if one wanted to deal with a thick wing a wing swap is possible to do a XIVc/e as well) to do a Mk X or Mk XI if one gets a little creative as to where to get the sub-assemblies from and uses Milliput to deepen the chin. Only stumbling block I see to a XIVc kitbash is the cabin pressurization intake is molded to the left fuselage half. Granted it is correct for a Mk XIX, but if it were molded separately (with flashed over holes indicating where it goes), it would have made it easy to flop it over to the right fuselage half to make such a kitbash a little easier potentially.

Having a proper PR wing in styrene I am certainly rejoicing over though as it opens up quite a few possibilities. Looks like I shall have to get at least two of these kits then. :thumbsup:

What rocket scientist would design a mold with sprue gates in the middle of the trailing edge of a prop blade? My guess: Chinese rocket scientist who knows *nothing* about airplanes.

...cabin pressurization intake is molded to the left fuselage half. Granted it is correct for a Mk XIX

Actually it's not correct for any wartime PR.XIX. The pressurized airplanes were too late for WWII. There were two Supermarine type numbers associated with the PR.XIX, the unpressurized version used during the war and the later pressurized version.

J

What rocket scientist would design a mold with sprue gates in the middle of the trailing edge of a prop blade? My guess: Chinese rocket scientist who knows *nothing* about airplanes.

Actually it's not correct for any wartime PR.XIX. The pressurized airplanes were too late for WWII. There were two Supermarine type numbers associated with the PR.XIX, the unpressurized version used during the war and the later pressurized version.

J

Only the first 25 aircraft built [type 475] were unpressurised, the remainder [type 390] all had the pressurised cockpit and did see service in the war.

Andrew

Jeez, people are already whining about the "exaggerated panel lines" at another leading forum....

And that in itself is a bit of an exaggeration.

Of the two threads on 'another leading forum' concerning this announcement one person has raised a critcism about the panel lines, and another mentioned them.

Personally I don't understand why people seem so keen to make these sorts of pronouncements so quickly, they haven't even see the actual plastic yet so surely any criticism made at this early stage is merely 'chit-chat' and not worthy of any serious consideration or attention.

I will welcome this kit even though i have an Academy conversion ready for painting !

Airfix should be supported and applauded for doing such a subject

Buy lots !!!

cheers

Norm

I will welcome this kit even though i have an Academy conversion ready for painting !

Airfix should be supported and applauded for doing such a subject

Buy lots !!!

cheers

Norm

Oh, all right then, you've talked me into one or two or more...........!

Rick.

That looks really nice - I will definitely get one - however, please (someone) do a Mk XI in 1/48. I'm sure I heard that AZ were doing one?

I totally agree Andy, my two most favourite Spitfires.

Now we have a MKIX and MKXIX it'll make cross kitting one easier though.

Rick

Quite a few possibilites there if you use either the Revell/Hasegawa IXc/e wing or the

ICM/Revell XVIe kit for the wing/lowback R.V fuselage.

Combine this 1/48th bowser wing with the ICM high back fuselage for a PR.X/XI even?

AndyC,someone has done a good IX,you just have to take your time building it:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/spitfireixconstructionrs_1.htm

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Quite a few possibilites there if you use either the Revell/Hasegawa IXc/e wing or the

ICM/Revell XVI kit for the wing/lowback R.V fuselage.

Combine this 1/48th bowser wing with the ICM high back fuselage for a PR.X/XI even?

Your ahead of me, again Miggers! Not difficult though.....

Rick.

Always wanted to do a THUM Flt PRXIX operating from RAF Woodvale...that's where I took my first flight in a Chipmunk courtesy of 10 AEF. Looking forward to seeing this one released so I can, hopefully, complete that long-term wish-list item (although I still need to determine whether the THUM Spits still had the camera ports under the fuselage...guessing they did but haven't seen any contemporary photographic evidence.
Edited by mhaselden

AndyC,someone has done a good IX,you just have to take your time building it:

Agreed mate! And the ICM is a good kit (I have done one) but it's the Mk XI I want not the IX! :D

Jennings, I've already shown you a picture of PM631 on an airfield in Europe,taken well before the end of World War II on another forum. The pressurised variant certainly WAS delivered and used operationally during WWII. I'll dig out the links tonight, as I am at work just now....

Tim Perry

And this thread at HS by Spit expert Roy Sutherland who has actually had the chance to properly study the sprues in the flesh:

http://www.network54...Spitfire Mk XIX.

A quick quote from him "It is really an excellent kit." And if Roy thinks its good, I'm inclined to believe it is....

Edited by Paul Bradley