Hawker Seahawk

sean

Airfix Seahawk, built straight from the box, using kit decals.

Bought on a whim on a spin down to Newcastle, as it was one of the starter sets

and had a couple of quid knocked of it. Decided to use it as practice kit for trying out Halfords spraycans

,and pretty pleased how it turned out,

PB060309.jpg?t=1352566408

PB060310.jpg?t=1352566482

Model was sprayed all over with Halfords white primer, then Appliance white for the undesides and Humbrol for the topside. Turned out pretty good for only my second attempt with spraycans.

PB060311.jpg?t=1352566580

Only issue I had with this kit were the decals, didn't realize they were so thin, nearly translucent.

They also seem to be the wrong shade, but will be changed soon enough when replacements arrive.

PB060313.jpg?t=1352566802

Bought, built and displayed ,all within a week and a not too bad for a inbetweener and practice kit.

As usual all comments welcome,

Sean

That's lovely. Well built and great paint job.

It's one of my favourite aircraft (like many of Camm's designs) and that, and the old Frog one, is one of my favourite old kits.

David

• Like 1

A nice clean build that looks good on the stand - is that a Frog stand, or a modified Airfix one? looks like an Airfix vertical strut with something else used as the base.

I have one of these in the to-do pile and it was a favourite when I was a kid - such a classic design. One minor niggle, since you were brave enough to invite comments (and this one is not your fault) - it looks to me as if Airfix haven't printed the white sufficiently opaque, so on the big Ace of Hearts decal and arguably on the fuselage roundels too, the demarcation line between the colours shows through a bit. I reckon that if you asked them, they would send you an extra decal sheet so you could double-decal those, which would certainly improve matters at minimal effort.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps,

A nice clean build that looks good on the stand - is that a Frog stand, or a modified Airfix one? looks like an Airfix vertical strut with something else used as the base.

I have one of these in the to-do pile and it was a favourite when I was a kid - such a classic design. One minor niggle, since you were brave enough to invite comments (and this one is not your fault) - it looks to me as if Airfix haven't printed the white sufficiently opaque, so on the big Ace of Hearts decal and arguably on the fuselage roundels too, the demarcation line between the colours shows through a bit. I reckon that if you asked them, they would send you an extra decal sheet so you could double-decal those, which would certainly improve matters at minimal effort.

I think the stand is indeed an old Frog one, I reckon I have it a good 20yrs or so, I never used them before as most models were hung from the ceiling, but that has changed a bit since the summer. I had thought of doubling up the decals, as for contacting Airfix, it never crossed my mind as I've been using AM decals for my last few builds, so thanks for the reminder,

Sean

I'm currently building one of these (when time allows). I decided to cut the underwing pylons off mine though as they looked a bit thick (also, I simply couldn't be bothered making the fuel tanks and bombs). Not sure on a scheme yet - probably the EDSG over white - I do like it.

• Like 1

I'm currently building one of these (when time allows). I decided to cut the underwing pylons off mine though as they looked a bit thick (also, I simply couldn't be bothered making the fuel tanks and bombs). Not sure on a scheme yet - probably the EDSG over white - I do like it.

I was going to do the same, but in the end just cut off the small nubs. I wasn't that fussed on the fuel tanks or bombs myself, but still wanted something underneath. Go for EDSG over White. it's bloody gorgeous looking paintjob!

Sean

As Work in Progress suggested, I emailed Airfix about the decals on Tuesday, and what do you know, this morning they were here, and not just one set, but three. Can't beat that for service, so cheers to Airfix :goodjob: , nice one. (Anyone need a set?)

Sean