BR 9F 'Black Prince' 92203 converted from Airfix 'Evening Star' Kit

dave41184

Hi all ,

Just thought I'd share my latest completed project with you all. Managed to get hold of the rather ancient Airfix 9F 'Evening star' kit from ebay for about £3. It had already been started in places; a botched attempt to put the wheels together and the boiler had been glued to the chassis but that was about it. No decals , awful instructions and a few bits missing. After seeing rather impressive videos of David Shepard's 'Black Prince' on youtube , I thought I'd have a go at converting the kit to look like it!

Decals and photo etch nameplates from Fox Transfers , everything OOB. Paints a mixture of Humbrol , revell and Tamiya. Weathering with model mates wash 'soot black' Enjoy!

DSCF0551.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0540.jpg

DSCF0543.jpg

DSCF0544.jpg

Nice to see a preserved loco! Always think 9F engines should be water-stained and soot-grubby but this never is as a preserved engine - good job

She's currently on the North Norfolk railway. David Shepard has just put her up for sale after 46 years in preservation. He's 82 and wants to see her go to a younger operator. Still 2 years on the boiler ticket. Anyone win the Euro Millions tonight?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hello dave! i've just come here from youtube after watching the above video, although these rail kits are pretty basic oob with a bit of aftermarket stuff you can finish up with something that will easily sit on a rail layout next to hornby's stuff.

i built this kit a few years ago now (left a comment on your vid to the same effect) as a workaday standard 9f -

2elgsh2.jpg

swfzau.jpg

transfers and "numberplate" from fox, front and rear couplings are aftermarket but i can't remember where i got them from, all rails and piping cut off, sanded flush and replaced with brass knobs (ooh er!) and wire.

*edit* looking at these pictures (taken about 7 months ago) it seem that after about four years i still didn't get around to filling the tender with scenic coal!

Edited by phil B.

• 3 weeks later...