Vallejo Foundation White over Halford Grey Primer - coverage

Anthony Kesterton

Hi

I have primed a Revell B2 with Halfords Grey plastic primer and now trying to put down some Vallejo Model Colour Foundation White for the undercarriage and other parts. I am thinning with distilled water (from the tumble-dryer) and but still not getting very good coverage after three coats - except in the corners where a nice layer of pigment is building up. The Foundation White is quite thick (even after lots of shaking) - almost oil paint consistency. I am using a brush - and adding the water to the white and mixing in the pallette.

Could the Foundation white be "off", am I thinning it too much, or should I just keep trying thin coats?. Any suggestions on getting better coverage most gratefully received.

many thanks

anthony

Foundation White is primailry intended to be a Primer for figure painting.

I'm not sure how it would fair trying to cover a large area.

You will probably have better results using the "Standard" White 951, or Model Air 001.

Brushing white is troublesome at the best of times. As you're not adverse to using a spray can I'd suggest a white from Halfords or Tamiya may be a better bet.

I have some white Halford primer too - so may try that. I wanted to try out the Vallejo paints on this relatively small surface to see what happens (and I guess I have learnt a lot :-) ).

I have also heard good things about the Tamiya Flat White (XF2) - but would spray that rather than brush paint it (when I start experimenting with an airbrush)

many thanks

anthony

I wanted to try out the Vallejo paints on this relatively small surface to see what happens (and I guess I have learnt a lot :-) ).

Don't be put of Vallejo paints they are excellent, it's just maybe this time you picked the wrong one. ;)

Don't be put of Vallejo paints they are excellent, it's just maybe this time you picked the wrong one. ;)

Yes, I have been impressed with the Vallejo paints - and I definitely messed up with the Foundation White vs "normal" White - so not giving up on the paints. It is the fool driving the paintbrush that is the problem :-)

anthony

XF-2 is my favourite white. If you want to spray small parts I thin with IPA which dries really quickly therefore you can put loads of coats on straight after one another without it pooling

Useful tip - thanks. I have a part-built Concorde that needs some fixing before I can paint it - that was what the Tamiya paint is for.

anthony