Trumpeter 1/32 Swordfish MkII - 816 Squadron, 1943

Dear all,

I've been a bit quiet of late - as you can imagine a combination of work and buying a house have meant that most of my spare time has been devoted to packing boxes and boxes of stuff (including the stash, and the inevitable remarks from the girlfriend of " do you really need anymore?"). So my time at the desk has been limited of late.

However, I've finished this just in time for Telford this year. It's the Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish MkII - in the markings of 816 Squadron in 1943.

In terms of additional items used, I've used a few of the xtradecal markings and stencils to supplement the Trumpeter ones - including the roundels, as the Trumpeter decals were far too brightly coloured - especially with regards to the red, and I've also used the Eduard etch set in the cockpit for details. This is the first time I've actually ever used etch, so the results were mixed, but none the less, it was a good education.

I also decided to fold one wing in order to save some space - plus it also adds a bit of visual interest. The base is just a normal picture frame, sprayed with paints and then covered with a very thin layer of Tamiya pavement in order to simulate the metal colours of the deck of HMS Tracker in 1943.

Any constructive criticism is as always, very welcome. She'll be on the Sutton Coldfield stand at Telford over the weekend! And yes... I am useless at taking photos of models! Please excuse the boxes in the background!!

Cheers,

Chris

DSC03011.jpg

DSC03010.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03014.jpg

DSC03015.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

DSC03019.jpg

DSC03021.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

DSC03026.jpg

• Like 4

That is one very nice Swordfish you should be very proud.

Just one thing, the Stringbag could carry bombs OR a torpedo but not both. This aircraft was most likely armed with rockets or depth charges but of the two armament fits that you have chosen the bombs are a better bet than the torpedo for this phase in the real Stringbags career.

Sorry to have to break this to you but please don`t think that it is a criticism, your modelling is first class,

Cheers

Tony O

• Like 1

I did actually wonder that when going through the instructions. So, I've actually made the torpedo removable! It's more just there for show than anything else and can be taken off! Sometimes caution is the best action - for Telford, I'll be having the torpedo displayed to the side of the model on 2 wooden stands hopefully!

Thank you very much, it has justified my decision perfectly!!

Chris

And thank you very much Iain! I think I'm falling in love with 32nd scale, although the girlfriend will crucify me for being so spatially unaware!

Nice one Chris, thanks for taking my comment in the way it was meant!

I`ve built the Mk.I version of this kit and it is one of my favourite models, so you must be very proud of yours.

Cheers,

Tony O

It's a lovely kit - and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in WW2 Biplanes. The hardest bit strangely enough was the decals, but it was quite a straightforward build. Not overly challenging with a great visual effect at the end of it. I think I might have to get the Mk1 now to join it though.

Chris

• Like 1

Outstanding Swordfish, beautifully made, painted and weathered!

I have always wanted to add one to my collection but I am put off by the rigging.

Great job!

• Like 1

Woody - for the front bit of the engine, I used Alclad primarily. If I remember correctly, I put steel on it first, followed by a dusting of burnt iron and exhaust manifold. They darkened it up a bit too much, so I then sprayed some steel back on from a long distance, and was happy with it. To finish it off, I used some Tamiya Weathering powder in burnt blue, just to add a bit more variety in the colour. The exhaust pipe, I used just exhaust manifold from Alclad.

Thank you very much guys - very much appreciated!

Wonderful!!!! Well done, Chris.

Just a few points for better result - if you have enough time to do it.

Paint the wheels with a flat black or flat varnish, as they seem to be glossy. Also, do the same with a flat varnish on the marked area. ;)

dsc03017b.jpg

Nice quitar, mate! I've also got a black fender. :)