Frog Avro Shackleton converted to MR.2

Hiya Folks,

While looking through some old pics I came across this one of one of my Shackleton Mk.2`s using the old Frog kit and the Aeroclub conversion kit and decals. This is my Shackleton MR.2 in the colours of 205 Sqn based in the Far East. The white top to the fuselage was introduced to cool the crew and the white upper wing panels were to cool the fuel tanks!

shack-72nd-old.jpg

Hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony O

• Like 1

Very nice... it looks very much the part! Definitely one of the best. I was rather hoping you'd done our WR963 as she was "A" and then "H" on 205 in that colour scheme from 1966 - 1970. We've got a picture in colour of her in that scheme, so she may get it at the next repaint.

A few criticisms, but none major - the rear top ditching hatch is a solid item, there shouldn't be exhaust pipes with overwing stains (the pipes were added to cut down noise and reduce staining) and the prop tips should be yellow. The red/white/red tips were a later addition that came when the Shackleton started serving with 8 Sqn.

You really ought to dress the props too. The old crews are really picky about that - we've caught guys in their 80's putting WR963's props in line!

Kind regards,

Rich

A really lovely model and setting - just shows what skill and determination can do with an old kit!

A couple of questions if I may. I wondered if you'd taken off the moulded rivets, or perhaps sanded them a bit so as to leave some mark, which after all is visible on the real thing. And what is the Grey - in theory EDSG, but in practise most maritime aircraft seem to look better with something a bit lighter than the contents of a jar with that label?

Many thanks, John.