1:48 Airfix BF109-F

Hi All

Got some more done but not been able to post for a while.........

RLM71 Dunkelgrun painted on the top surfaces.

PB290033.jpg

Paper masks created from the painting guide in the Airfix instructions.

PB300034.jpg

The painting guide in the instructions does not seem to match a profile that I found on the internet and I know these kind of things should not be viewed as being accurate so which is correct?

Artwork-Bf-109F2-7_JG54-W6-Werner-von-Hofe-Russia-1942-0A.jpg

The images of the aircraft on the internet do not give a definative answer either?

1-Bf-109F2-7_JG54-W6-Werner-von-Hofe-Russia-1942-04.jpg

Bf-109F2-7_JG54-W6-Werner-von-Hofe-Russia-1942-03.jpg

I decided to go with the instructions and painted on the RLM70 Schwartzgrun.

PC040035.jpg

I know the RLM70 & 71 are close in colour but even with the flash the contrast is hardly there, from what I've read RLM71 faded quicker than RLM70 so do I lighten the RLM71 and repaint or leave it alone?

What do fellow Britmodeller's think.........

Regards

Tim.

Hi All

A bit more done.......

I was going to leave the colours as suggested but as I started to apply a gloss coat in preparation for decaling both top colours seemed to merge into one and there was no noticable difference at all and to me it just didn't seem right; I just think there should be more of a demarcation between the RLM70/71 so back it went into the spray booth.

Here we have it after the top coat change and gloss coat, this appears much lighter in the photo than it does so please dont be put off. :(

PC110036.jpg

I do have a bit of an issue with one of the rear stabilisers, not sure what happened during the top gloss coat apllication but some blotchy rings have appeared.

PC110037.jpg

I'll try to Micromesh it smoother otherwise a small repaint will be in order.

Time to start adding the stickers!! :cyclops:

More very soon.

Best regards

Tim.

Nice work Tim. I have the same contrast problem with Gunze Aqueous paints... for 70/71, for 74/75, and even tonally for Dark Earth/EDSG. Now I tend to play with them a bit when I'm mixing them in the pot, all the while dreading a knock at the door from the colour police....

Well after three attempts to get the same (fading) shade of RLM70 and some further damage to the existing paint, I decided the best course of action was to start again.

Into a bag with some Fairy Powerspray and 10 mins later I had this.

PC160038.jpg

I then went back over the surfaces with more Mr Sufacer 1200 to blend in the small areas that needed it after its bath and then as a double safety net, primed the model with Life color's own primer.

PC160039.jpg

So, here it is as it stands tonight.

I will try to get back on track before the Christmas break.

Regards

Tim.

Edited by timmah

That profile is fantastic color scheme... Don't you hate it when paints start to disagree with each other...

And the repaint begins........

RLM65 underside pinted, as the Lifecolor yellow does not cover well (like so many yellow paints I've found) I masked off the outer wing tips. You can see on the left hand wingtip that the Lifecolor primer has come off, not sure if it does not like being painted onto Mr surfacer or it's more my technique but I will redo the tips with primer before painting the yellow.

PC180040.jpg

I'm also going to leave a bit more time between painting to see if that cures the paint and makes it a bit more durable.

More to follow soon.

Regards

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and a belated Happy New Year to you all!

After a busy Christmas and manic few weeks ahead at work, I thought I had better get something done on the model.

In what seems like a de ja vu moment the RLM71 was painted on, P1060041.jpg

I'm now using Lifecolor thinners instead of water to thin the paint for airbrushing and it does seem to have made the paint stick a little bit better.  I also think I'm getting used to handling the model in a way that stops the finish getting damaged between coats.

Paper masks printed and applied.

P1060042.jpg

And finally, the RLM70 was applied.

P1060043.jpg

I'm happier with the finish this time round and a gloss coat has been applied and that behaved itself this time so we are back to where we were before Christmas.

Will try to get some decals on before the weekend.......

More very soon.

Regards

Tim.