Tamiya 1/48 - Messerschmitt Bf109 E3

OK I'll play too

I just received this little beauty in the post and so as this GB is up and running I'll attempt to finish as part of it.

DSCF1876.jpg

DSCF1878.jpg

Plan is to build straight out of the box without over complicating things and paint as per the box art :D

Many firsts for me with this build, first Tamiya kit, first german aircraft, first WWII aircraft (since I was a lad) and first time I will use my airbrush and gunze paints to finish, all's going smoothly so far.

Progress,

SDC13660.jpg

SDC13658.jpg

SDC13656.jpg

SDC13650.jpg

SDC13662.jpg

SDC13663.jpg

SDC13666.jpg

SDC13664.jpg

A few final highlights on the pit and it's ready to be buttoned up and assembled. I ordered a mask sheet for the canopy frame (another first) since it looks quite complex and I didn't fancy freehanding it or trimming tiny bits of tape myself.

Dan

Cheers fellas, yep, pilot came with the kit... I was debating whether or not to do this model in flight but on thinking about it I reckon it'll look better displayed on the ground but as if it's just about ready for takeoff

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress to report... After a lengthy masking session today I threw a bit of paint at it and so here's the result

SDC13750_zps9832c6ca.jpg

In comparison to some of the other builds here it's nowhere near but have to say I'm really quite pleased with it and am confident it will look much better with a panel line wash and a good bit of weathering. I'm itching to whip off the canopy masks for a proper look but I'm saving that till a final flat coat goes on :)

Getting there now :)

SDC13752_zps0bb2fa4e.jpg

Just a little more work on the legs, tail wheel & prop and I reckon it's done and I'll be peeling off the mask so Herman can have a look around :D

Also yea, the antenna... Could someone kindly drop me a few tips on how to approach it? A while back I bought some EZ Line fine from models r go, but have yet to use it, and tbh I don't know how, any help much appreciated, cheers.

Thats really looking great Dan, cant wait to see Hermann peering out :)

Cant give any advice on EZ line as i havent used it but i get on quite well with fishing mono, it needs to be really low breaking strain, about 1lb. I give it a brush with some thinned black acrylic to darken it up and secure it with a bit of superglue applied with a pin. For the hoirzontal wire i would get it glued to the top of the mast first then if theres enough meat on the tail post put a hole in with a microdrill, pull the wire through and glue to get the tension. For the vertical wire on the spine i would use a microdrill to put a hole into the fuselage and drop the line in and glue on the horizontal wire where they butt up, you dont really need to glue the bottom. Then add the isolators with a few blobs of unthinned white arylic built up to get a bit of weight. Hope this helps, sure there are better methods out there bit it works for me :)

Cheers, Stu