Revell's (not so) new 1:32 He 219 "UHU"

Had confirmation that the Barracuda set has shipped - looking forward to that being final inspiration.

Also now leaning towards vaccing a new windshield - will report back on that one...

Iain

Because I haven't been on here much lately you seem to have done a hell of a lot! I might disappear more often! ;) Looks great Iain, Will it be done for SMW...? :D;)

All that hard work has paid off too, it looks great. :)

Edited by Radleigh

• 1 month later...

OK - shamed into picking this up again - been working on the old UHU again this evening. Apologies for poor images - quick shots before bed...

I think I'm going to give up using the micrometer on her from here on - lets see if she'll look OK carefully painted.

Wings/nacelles have been given another coat of primer - followed by a going over with 3800 MicroMesh. One or two minor blemishes to fix - then re-scribe panel detail.

The Barracuda radiators and open cowl flaps have been removed from their pour stubs and the surfaces dressed off on flat wet and dry.

Kit cowls have had the kit radiators removed and the moulded in cowl flaps removed so they mate with the new resin ones.

In the images below they're tacked together with BluTak to get an idea of fit and look.

IMG_9620uhu.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9623.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

Iain

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and continued interest - helps with the motivation!

Hopefully some more tonight - I *really* need to put this one to bed - and it's *not* going to beat me! smile.png

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Slight moment there - opened the box for some fettling and one bag of assembled parts missing - just spent evening turning over the model room - found!

So - more filler on before bed (fuselage)...

*sigh*

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Have a brand new ZM kit in front of me and looks like my reworked nacelles match almost exactly!! :)

Fronts cowls smaller on Revell as previously discussed.

Kit belongs to someone else - but helping hugely...

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Ian!

Apologies for quality of images - quick snaps under poor lighting - still not got everything sorted in the workshop...

First off - the excellent Barracuda cowl flap sets. Deviation from instructions in that I've assembled everything onto cowl fronts - rather than mounting the radiator units to the firewall first. This made adding all those actuator rods a hell of a lot easier!!

IMG_0693.jpg

Been playing with the nose. 'shelf', armour plate, gun-sight, armoured glass and windshield fitted and blended into nose with sanding sticks - slightly re-shaping the canopy in the process - and removing moulded in frame lines. Front end has been gone over with various grades of MicroMesh and plastic polish to restore clarity of the transparency.

Rear transparency just placed in situ - not bonded yet as I need to do all the radio/radar kit...

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

Tail feathers on - note corrected fins...

IMG_0699.jpg

Ventral gun pack front end on...

IMG_0700.jpg

More when there's, er, more... :)

Have fun!

Iain

• Like 1

And the primer stage is almost in sight!

Cowls assembled and fitted (with lost central 'cone' replaced with home-made resin copy).

Radio/Radar kit painted and fitted.

Rear canopy fitted.

Landing light cover painted clear yellow internally and fitted.

Eduard Brassin wheel parts prepped and part painted.

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

I *will* finish! :)

Iain

• Like 2

Iain,

What color did you paint the insides of the cowls? Mine are together, but I haven't attempted the actuators yet....

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

Radiators a dark silver (Alclad), inner side of cowls RLM02 - then a light black spray - to be fair - you really can't see much - just needs to be dark(ish).

I'll touch in the actuators once camouflage done.

I'll post a picture next time...

Iain

• 2 weeks later...