Revell's (not so) new 1:32 He 219 "UHU"

If I understand correctly - the catalyst to them re-visiting the canopy was a parallel thread on my build over on Large Scale Planes...

Stunning build of the ZM kit in latest Air Modeller.

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

OK - some time off and back to the bench...

Rather a lot in progress - but cracking on with the UHU.

Cowlings/nacelles now re-attached in a more accurate position - this has caused no end of angst and the positions I've gone for reflect months of studying phots and drawings. Still to have gaps sorted and some major blending with Milliput - especially top-side.

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

IMG_9377.jpg

Better?

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Managed a little work last night.

Upper surfaces of cowlings given a layer of Milliput.

Upper starboard (right) cowling sanded back to approximate profile - more work needed - but shape getting there I think!

IMG_9434.jpg

Iain

A little more today - determined to crack on so I can start the Widow...

Top fuselage cut open so I can add the missing glazing (secondary layer subsequenty cut away to leave open fuselage):

IMG_9436.jpg

And the nacelles further belended - looking better?

Still need to blend into wings more cleanly and add/fix the back end of the flap fairings.

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

Any feedback on 'corrections' appreciated before I commit to final fettling/rescribing!!

Iain

A little more today - determined to crack on so I can start the Widow...

Iain

Ye Gods, you're working miracles! I thought the Black Widow would be on your radar... Mine too, but I have a F-8 to deal with first! Going to try the Z-M Uhu should it ever appear?

Mike

Bit fed up with sanding today - so calling it quits for now.

Here's where we're at...

Hatch glazing about to be assembled:

IMG_9441.jpg

Upper surface cowlings further blended:

IMG_9442.jpg

Tail fins filled ready for sanding:

IMG_9443.jpg

Re-contouring the fuselage:

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

A quick looksee at the overall effect (note there is distortion due to wide-angle lens):

IMG_9446.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

OK - seriously - has anyone got any input on the shapes now? Speak now or I'll be too far to correct further!!!

And please don't be shy on this - if you think it looks like a crock of **** please say so! (As long as it's qualified of course - wish I had a ZM kit to hand).

Tempted to open out the cowl flaps too...

Iain

Looks very nice Iain... a totally unqualified POV though :)

Incidentally - the landing gear bay roof - does that retain the same fore/aft angle as it did, or has that been rotated slightly with the nacelles? If the latter, might that in turn throw out the angle of the gear legs (if they were right before?)? :hmmm:

Undercarriage - yes - that will need adjusting...

The whole gear bay has been rotated with the rear nacelle - not by a lot - but it has been rotated.

From photos it appears the gear bay upper surface should be in line with/level with the underside of the wing. Revell have a 'lowered' platform that doesn't match photos. But funnily enough - if you rotate the nacelle as I have done to bring the rear 'point' to where it should be verses the wing chord line - the gear bay roof (front section of the bay) magically moves to roughly where it should be.

wow0001295_zps645c339a.jpg

From all of this - and angle of the gear bay door opening I have the therory that Revell have the shape/dimensions reasionable well captured from the NASM restoration - but got the juxtaposition with the wing wrong. The engine nacelles are not yet installed on the restored wings so anyone measuring up could easily make such a mistake.

The restoration:

he219pieces_zps7b45e596.jpg

Iain

Hiya Nige!

Your work on the nacelles helped hugely - we'd both come to similar conclusions and your work reinforced my plan of action (if too madman are thinking similar things then there must be a sane outcome!)

I went about a fix in a slightly different way (I had to - my cowlings were already glued together!!)

I ran out of MoJo too (it was supposed to be a quick build) but the Scot in me won out and I couldn't contemplate wasting it!

Iain

Hoping it's almost the end Oliver! ;)

In further news I've been pondering on the nose/windshield and I don't think we're that far out - more studies during the week - but I want to get this ready for paint now!!

Iain

Cracking work as always Iain. It's always a pleasure reading your threads and understanding what you have done. I will certainly be shamelessly stealing your work when I build mine!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice and sunny out here in the hills today - so great opportunity to work outside in the warm and do all the stuff that's a real pain indoors - so out with a few projects including the UHU...

As reported earlier - almost there with shapes - so time to ensure everything blended in nicely and stable - ready for some panel scribing.

Out with the masking tape and a tin of Halfords excellent Filler Primer - my weapon of choice for things like this:

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

Just waiting for everything to harden off in the sun before I flat off with 1200 grit and fill any anomalies before another coat of filler primer.

Have fun...

Iain

Last one before I hit the sack - I think we're getting there now - should all be down hill from here!

Nose cap has been removed whilst I investigate the windshield...

Tomorrow we polish!

IMG_9608.jpg

Iain

Roy Sutherland - Barracuda Studios - you're a star!!!

Announced this evening - cowl flaps and radiators - was about to start opening mine out as per a much earlier post - I'll place an order in the am smile.png

Hopefully Roy won't mind me posting a piccie (or 4 - happy to remove if requested) - they look superb!!

BR32063-02.jpg

Now wondering if I can remove the kit radiators...

Happy, happy, happy - these will make another BiG difference to the look of the beast...

And wheels!

Again - hopefully Roy won't mind:

BR32062-01.jpg

Iain

...This will be a pretty-well out of box build with the aim of keeping things simple and making some progress....

Snigger...

Looking pretty damn good, though! The kit was available at a knock-down price in MZ in Basingstoke last week, but I remain untempted! Keeping myself pure for ZM's version

Yeah, yeah - I know... :)

Anyhoo - more progress at last.

Nacelles all blended into the wing nicely and control surfaces fitted - I challenge anyone to find signs of the cut and shut!

I think she looks soooo much better now (phew!!)

I may start scribing shortly - need a glass of cider first! :drink:

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9610.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

Alternatively I may have to crack on with something simple - like finish the Thunderbolt...

Iain

And - in breaking news - careful measurement of oblique side views of canopy on the model (above) and same view of the NASM restoration confirm it's the right depth (there had been some thought it was too shallow...).

Iain