This is my second build for this GB.

I shall be using the Eduard 1/48 Bf109E-1 Profipack and decals from Kagero Topcolors 30 Luftwaffe's Baptism of Fire.

The subject will be a Bf109E-1, W.Nr. 4048 Yellow 7 of 3/JGr.101 based at Hoya in Nordrhein-Westphalia. This aircraft is in the early 70/71 splinter scheme with 65 undersurfaces.

snakefoot01.jpg

JGr.101 carried unusual codes which were simply an outline in the staffel colour. This aircraft carries the staffel's running fox emblem on the cowling and a name, Schlangenfuß! (Snakefoot!), under the port windscreen. The balkenkreuzen are typical of a pre-war aircraft, so it should make quite an interesting scheme.

Yellow 7 was damaged in an emergency landing on approach to Hoya on 18 November 1939.

Here is the kit box and the extras.

E002.jpg

Rather than demonstrate once again my pathetic photography skills, can I direct you to Mike's review of this kit which has some superb shots of the parts.

http://www.britmodel...topic=234913922

An Eduard Profipack kit usually doesn't need any sort of aftermarket, but in this case I'm not convinced by the shape of the seat so I am going to use a resin replacement from SBS Model. I will also use Quickboost exhausts which will be fitted later in the build rather than earlier as required with the Eduard ones.

E003.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go! Hold on tight, rider! :D

This is the cockpit built pretty much OOB. The exception being with the oxygen system on the starboard side. Eduard supply a part for this. I painted it up nicely only to find out that the Carpet Monster had claimed it. Damn you, Carpet Monster! :angry:

So, I used a spare PE part from an Eduard etch set. The regulator assembly is bodged up from the breech of one of the Eduard machine guns. The hose is a short piece of solder.

I got the unit in place and then the carpet monster taunted me by returning the original part. :shrug:

Oh yeah... there are a couple of Airscale placards chucked into the mix.

E004.jpg

E005.jpg

The fuselage halves and cockpit floor assembled.

E006.jpg

E007.jpg

The scheme you've picked looks a little different from the norm.

That's Kagero for you. There are always subtle points of interest in their schemes. This one is a wartime aircraft with pre-war balkenkreuzen.

That's Kagero for you. There are always subtle points of interest in their schemes. This one is a wartime aircraft with pre-war balkenkreuzen.

Yep. I love those books too. I also have the full set of Classic Colours Luftwaffe series, some really good schemes in those too.

Duncan B

• 4 weeks later...

gosh your second one! :yikes:

Still waiting for all my bits to arrive...and yes I have been told before I'm missing afew bits at times..... :mental:

Really interesting colour scheme, can't wait to see it finished.

Edited by trickyrich

Going to be a nice one mate..

• 4 weeks later...

I've just realised that I haven't been updating this thread as I should. :wall: Things have cghanged a bit since my last update...

E008_zps93231b0c.jpg

E009_zps60858f19.jpg

The nose area is a bit tricky due to the option for displaying the engine. I wish Eduard wouldn't do this. It was a big problem on their FW190 series. Not so much of a problem on the 109s, but the nose assembly still takes a lot of care and some filler. Incidentally I didn't fit the engine. The parts from the front of the engine were simply held in place with Milliput, which provided a spindle for the prop.

The rest of the airframes require no filler whatsoever.

Next step is to spray the camouflage. This is very straighforward to mask! :D

I used Lifecolor UA501 for the RLM70 Schwartzgun and Lifecolor UA503 for the RLM65 Hellblau undersurfaces. Lifecolor UA502 is a pretty accurate match for the RLM71 Dunkelgrun but there is a minor problem. The 70/71 scheme is very low contrast. If one uses accurate matches on a model one tends to lose the camouflage entirely and it just looks like a single uppersurface colour. So I substituted Xtracrylix XA1001 RAF Dark Green for the RLM71. This is slightly lighter and provides a decent contrast.

E010_zps5c8d6534.jpg

E011_zps8a409d66.jpg

E012_zpsb268a4a9.jpg

Not finished for today. :D

Here we go with the first set of stickers.

E013_zpsd055142b.jpg

E014_zpsdd73eb4c.jpg

E015_zpsd2d46744.jpg

The balkenkreuze are all pre-war pattern, which is what makes this scheme so interesting. But of course the Eduard sheet doesn't provide any suitable makings, so they all came from an Aeromaster general sheet. Walkway markings and stencils are from the Eduard sheet in the kit.

And here we go with the Kagero stickers...

These are a joy to apply. They seperate from the backing sheet very well and are nice and robust. That 7 has to be robust. I was expecting it to be a simple decals, but it's not. It is a hollow shape which, if one is not careful, can fold up as it is applied. Ask me how I know... :lol:

But not to worry. As I said, the decals are quiet robust and stood up to a lot of poking and prodding. I didn't make the same mistake with the other side. :D

E016_zps31c6439f.jpg

E017_zps37b2a54e.jpg

E018_zps58329e79.jpg

Now it is up on its wheels as well. The Eduard wheels are lovely. Each wheel is in three parts. Eduard produce resin replacements for them. To be honest I can't see the point.

I depicted the tailwheel castored to add a bit of interest.

er... no, sorry... I can't keep that up. I'm lying to you. :fool: Eduard would have you fit the tailwheel leg before gluing the fuselage halves together. I know exactly how clumbidextrous I am and knew that it wouldn't survive so I added it later. This meant cutting off the locating points. However, I added it slightly twisted. When I discovered it, it was not to late to rectify, but I liked the look of it so I left it like that. :)

Edited by Enzo Matrix

• 3 weeks later...

Finished! :yahoo:

And - as usual for me - on the very last day of the GB. :lol:

A very enjoyable build! The Eduard kit is superb. A little bit tricky to fit the nose panels in the closed position, I'll grant you, but it's nowhere near as tricky as the Eduard FW190s. I can see more of these kits in my future...

The Kagero decals are just excellent. Not only does the sheet provide some very interesting schemes, but the decals are very thin but extremely robust. Very highly recommended indeed.

E019_zps0c2e4c16.jpg

E020_zps4ba2d8cd.jpg

E021_zps349948ae.jpg

E022_zpsc9ee5db8.jpg

E023_zpsdcfa61ec.jpg

E024_zpseda1e911.jpg

E025_zps03a1f7b5.jpg

E026_zps53ef28fe.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant work Enzo, really like the early war scheme and youve nailed it. The more i see these Eduard 109E's the more i think im going to have to get one.....or maybe their spit mk IX when it comes out....or maybe the airfix mxXIX......or maybe a bigger house :)

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1