1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Having read through the Special Hobby site

supplied Sunderland Mk III Information, some

observations  and a warning to modellers looking to

build this Mk III, check photos.

SH Sunderland Mk III Markings

1) As far a the Lanolin Water Proofing goes, SH makes mention that

Sunderland's water proofing is "Yellowish/Greyish Tint"???

Sunderland's either had a Clear Lanolin or a Grey Coloured lanolin.

Generally Only applied to the Hull from below the water line . To my knowledge

the floats were never water proofed, the floats had far more sealed compartments,

(which doesn't mean to say they didn't have water seepage)

There is a good photo of EK591 in Ocean Sentinel, showing the clear lanolin over the white paint.

2) The Warning and Safety markings around the Main Hatches/Bomb Room Doors.

A Post WWII application, if you look at any period photos, Mk III's didn't have these

3) The Decal/Marking Sheets show the Sunderland (as does Box Top Art) with the FN 5B

turret (dual gun), The only Mk III's to have this were the Mk IIIa. Standard Mk III's had the single VGO

FN Turret

3) For Sunderland EJ168 "J" 343 (French) Sqn Dakar 1944, SH gives the impression

that the Sunderland has the Top turret removed but the fairing still in place - I haven't been

able to find a photo showing this. Sunderland (later Mk III's) had the upper turret deleted

in production, and a the area became a hatch (I have been up through this in RNZAF Mk V's)

Sunderland Mk III with Hump

Colour photo showing what it looks like

Sunderland Upper Hatch

The SH Mk V has a piece that slots in there, but it's fictitious, the Modeller will have

to scratch build unfortunately

4) Couple of comments on EK591, and SH history comments, (I have a copy of the action report)on the Sinking

of the U-Boat by EK591 "U".

This was Warrant Officer Morton's first Operational sortie as Captain, being screened (Read assessed)

by Flt Lt Butler (who occupied at the time 1st pilots seat (port)). Butler flew the attack, dropping six Torpex Mk XI

250lb depth charges. 4 Depth Charges were seen to explode around the U Boat. The U Boat obviously fatally damaged,

the U Boat crew flashed (possibly Aldis lamp type) "Fine Bombish", the U Boat crew then going into life rafts.

Here's the Interesting point, SH comment that the U Boat crew climbed into life rafts, little and one large (per the report),

but were never seen again. In a conversation with Allan King (Author of Wings On Windermere et al) some few

years ago, he mentioned, that the U Boat crew didn't survive the night (obviously found the next day)

Interestingly, the Box art should (if SH actually researched the incident) show a depth charge still under the wing,

as Sunderland pilots (from my research/reading) usually liked to keep one or two depth charges just in case, they find

another U Boat on the way home.

Hope this is of help

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Can someone confirm as to whether you can build a Mk.III from the Mk.V boxing and vise versa with AM decals the only additiona required. From the sprues they look universal. TIA

The Mk. III has Bristol Pegasus engines whilst the Mk. V has Pratt & Whitney R-1830s.  The installations required different length nacelles.  The Mk. III generally had an offset FN dorsal turret whereas the Mk. V has beam hatches just abaft the wing root fairing trailing edge: each of these has a wind deflectir and porthole.  Radar antenna installation on the Mk. III was in the form of "sticleback" yagis on fuselage sides and spine; on the Mk IIIA (Pegasus engines still) and Mk. V the antennae were in H2S style radomes under each wing tip.  In short you're going to need the specific kit for your chosen subject.

46 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The Mk. III has Bristol Pegasus engines whilst the Mk. V has Pratt & Whitney R-1830s.  The installations required different length nacelles.  The Mk. III generally had an offset FN dorsal turret whereas the Mk. V has beam hatches just abaft the wing root fairing trailing edge: each of these has a wind deflectir and porthole.  Radar antenna installation on the Mk. III was in the form of "sticleback" yagis on fuselage sides and spine; on the Mk IIIA (Pegasus engines still) and Mk. V the antennae were in H2S style radomes under each wing tip.  In short you're going to need the specific kit for your chosen subject.

Thanks Steve for the differences between the real aircraft, however that doesnt confirm if the two boxings have the same parts.  As i said looking at the sprues there seems to be different nacelles etc so the question still stands.

5 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Thanks Steve for the differences between the real aircraft, however that doesnt confirm if the two boxings have the same parts.  As i said looking at the sprues there seems to be different nacelles etc so the question still stands.

Short Answer to your question is No.

The SH Mk V only has the engines/cowling/Propellers for a Mk V.

It seems in the Mk III boxing, they have supplied the Propellers/Cowlings/engines  for

a Mk III. That being said, the instructions in the Mk III box would have you use the Front Turret glazing

for a Mk IIIa/MK V (FN5B Turret). I'll have to check, but the SH Mk V may have the FN11 single VGO turret on the

transparency sprue which means it may well be on the Mk III sprue too (that will be later today after work)

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

It seems in the Mk III boxing, they have supplied the Propellers/Cowlings/engines  for

a Mk III. That being said, the instructions in the Mk III box would have you use the Front Turret glazing

for a Mk IIIa/MK V (FN5B Turret). I'll have to check, but the SH Mk V may have the FN11 single VGO turret on the

transparency sprue which means it may well be on the Mk III sprue too (that will be later today after work)

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan; I got distracted and couldn’t find sprue images for both kits.

10 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, i just wanted to be be clear before i picked up one.

8 hours ago, stever219 said:

Thanks Alan; I got distracted and couldn’t find sprue images for both kits.

1 hour ago, Hardtarget said:

Thanks Alan, i just wanted to be be clear before i picked up one.

Hi Guys,

I checked my SH Mk V, and can confirm that the FN11 Turret Glazing is there, see red circles (parts 11 & 12)

SH Mk V Instructions

SH+Clear+Parts+FM11+Turret+copy.jpg

Kit Sprue includes Rear Turret Glazing for Mk I/II also

SH+Clear+Parts+Mk+V+Kit+copy.jpg

The actual Kit parts (11 & 12) for the FN11 Turret which has the single slot for the VGO .303 MG

SH+Clear+Parts+FM11+Turret+1+copy.jpg

If you checkout the SH Sunderland Mk III Kit instructions link below  (from the Special Hobby Site),

show the Kit parts on Page 5 crossed out with red X, but for some inexplicable reason would have the modeller

build the kit with FN5B Turret, which is fine for a Mk IIIa, but not a Standard Mk III which used the FN11 Turret

SH Sunderland Mk III Kit Instructions

Unfortunately you will have to work out which kit parts fit the FN11 Turret (gun mounts etc)

Just a warning for other modellers, if you build your Mk III according to the SH Instructions, you will

end up with a Mk III/Mk V "Bitza"

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.III by Special Hobby - released - Mk.II in 2021

New boxing in 2022 - ref. SH72438  - Short Sunderland Mk.I/II "Flying Porcupine"

Sources: 

https://www.specialhobby.net/2022/01/sh72438-short-sunderland-mkiii-flying.html

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1070822600024766&id=578131849293846

Box art

127540728-1070822513358108-3685734915413

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.III by Special Hobby - released - Mk.I/II in March 2022
  • 1 month later...

Schemes - ref. SH72438  - Short Sunderland Mk.I/II "Flying Porcupine"

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2022/03/sh72438-sunderland-mkiii-kamuflazni.html

SH72438-Sunderland-A.jpg SH72438-Sunderland-B.jpg

SH72438-Sunderland-C.jpg SH72438-Sunderland-D.jpg

Decals

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2022/02/sh72438-sunderland-mkiii-obtiskovy-arch.html

SH72438-decals-blog.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 14:15, Hardtarget said:

Can someone confirm as to whether you can build a Mk.III from the Mk.V boxing and vise versa with AM decals the only additiona required. From the sprues they look universal. TIA

The plastic can be seen here;

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released