1/72 - Short Sunderland Mk.V & Mk.I/III by Special Hobby - Mk.I/III & V released

Homebee

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

If you are patient, a Sandringham conversion may well happen.

But not that sort of Sandringham  - the Dennis Brignell article (technically) describes a modified Sunderland looking very much like a Sandringham............. but sooooo ugly!

Sorry, Ed, Dennis' article covers both Sandringham and Ansett's "Sundringham". He only built Islander.

8 hours ago, Peter O said:

That may be the one I've seen. It's not a standard Sandringham, but a one-off conversion that's rather bulbous:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/shortfb/vh-brf/vhbrf.html

I saw it in its current guise at Fantasy of Flight about 10 years ago.

Peter, that's the "Sundringham", the Sunderland that Ansett bought from the RNZAF and converted at Rose Bay. It ended up with Kermit Weekes, and AFAIK is still in his collection. The resin that I've got is to make a true Sandringham as produced by the Shorts factory.

Ah. Well, that would still get me closer to the Sundringham than I am now. I don't see it listed on Hawkeye's website, so I'll have to email Peter and see if it's still available.

The construction photos at Aussie Airliners will be a big help to getting the nose contours correct.

6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Dennis' article covers both Sandringham and Ansett's "Sundringham". He only built Islander.

Yeah - I was just going on what he built - a modified Sunderland V. A fine model too!

• 10 months later...

I have this kit en-route and was wondering what I need to bear in mind when building it as a MK II? Am building a diorama in memory of my great uncle who flew a MK II for 95 Squadron (sadly crashed in 43), so have done quite a bit of research around it. Have the Italeri kits but am quite disappointed in their fit and general quality, so was wondering that, given there are options for other versions of the plane already on the sprues, if anyone had done a detailed breakdown or anything that might make my life a little easier?

Thanks!

IMG_5287.JPG&key=01492a0cd3c3f1b96241db5

Looks, that there are cowlings suitable for copying and cast in resin to use in Academy Catalina or to early Liberators!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tak5haka said:

I have this kit en-route and was wondering what I need to bear in mind when building it as a MK II? Am building a diorama in memory of my great uncle who flew a MK II for 95 Squadron (sadly crashed in 43), so have done quite a bit of research around it. Have the Italeri kits but am quite disappointed in their fit and general quality, so was wondering that, given there are options for other versions of the plane already on the sprues, if anyone had done a detailed breakdown or anything that might make my life a little easier?

Thanks!

The SH kit may provide the relevant parts for the fuselage, but not the Engines or Cowlings/Exhausts/Propellers

which are very different.

The Mk V Cockpit/flight deck are also very different for a MK I/II.

You will need to look at the upper wings and SH have moulded on the Oil Cooler covers which don't exist

on a Mk I/II Sunderland

You might be able to cross kit the Italeri Engines/cowlings/Propellers from the Mk I kit

I have the Italeri Kits and the SH kit

Regards

Alan

PS The Mk I/II Sunderland were 10 inches wider that the Mk III/V (3mm in 1/72)

SH didn't account for this, in making a one size fits all Sunderland

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Wonderful!   

That was my father's aircraft (EK591 2U) when they sunk U-625 (10 Mar 1944) and got AA damage below the waterline.   

I look forward to this release.  :) 

Edited by Glenn Cauley
  • Like 14

On 5/8/2020 at 10:48 AM, woody37 said:

How are you getting on with yours Tony?

It has been a sanding `fest',..... but I`m almost at the painting stages at last. Been a toil to be fair,... but it is a Mk.V,.... so worth the effort.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, tonyot said:

It has been a sanding `fest',..... but I`m almost at the painting stages at last. Been a toil to be fair,... but it is a Mk.V,.... so worth the effort.

Looking forwards to seeing it mate :)

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, tonyot said:

Oh no.  Just bought a V.  Is it, per chance, the upper and underside fuselage inserts which are the problem?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Oh no.  Just bought a V.  Is it, per chance, the upper and underside fuselage inserts which are the problem?

Yes mate,..... mostly. The wing roots are bad too,..... just as they are on the Italeri kit and the join line is not along a panel line or anything, indeed passing through a fuel tank panel. Nothing insurmountable and I maybe have a bad moulding,..... the front section between the bomb aiming panel and the turret was also missing one half on my model,.....it wasn`t inside the plastic bag either,.... so I have had to make a new one from carved and bent sprue. 

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Yes mate,..... mostly. The wing roots are bad too,..... just as they are on the Italeri kit and the join line is not along a panel line or anything, indeed passing through a fuel tank panel. Nothing insurmountable and I maybe have a bad moulding,..... the front section between the bomb aiming panel and the turret was also missing one half on my model,.....it wasn`t inside the plastic bag either,.... so I have had to make a new one from carved and bent sprue. 

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks a nice kit in the box, certainly better that Italeri with egards to the panel lines, but I did wonder about those sections.  Good to know about the other issues you've highlighted.  I shall approach them with trepidation.

51 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks a nice kit in the box, certainly better that Italeri with egards to the panel lines, but I did wonder about those sections.  Good to know about the other issues you've highlighted.  I shall approach them with trepidation.

No worries,.....re the upper section,..... it might be worth adding some interior strengthening of some sort to the main rear fuselage as it tends to go a bit floppy  when adding the top section and could do with some sprue widening props to keep it as wide as possible without pinching in,....... the upper section was wider than the main fuselage!  

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

No worries,.....re the upper section,..... it might be worth adding some interior strengthening of some sort to the main rear fuselage as it tends to go a bit floppy  when adding the top section and could do with some sprue widening props to keep it as wide as possible without pinching in,....... the upper section was wider than the main fuselage!  

I shall do that.  I've seen WIPs where props have been used to widen fuselages.  One in particular was the AZ Supermarine Attacker (I think it was actually to increase the depth of one fuselage half) after I had already built mine which suffered the same problem,. I had attempted to sort the problem with filler and sanding which took forever and was never entirely satisfactory.  With the Sunderland I suppose it's the risk a manufacturer takes in order to produce several variants from the same kit although I was quite surprised SH chose to do so in the way they did.

I have to say I am having multiple fit problems with this kit as well. I would agree that if I were to do it again I wouldn't bother with any of the interior other than the visible cockpit as the fuselage just doesn't line up and is under stress, giving major fit issues with the upper and lower inserts as well as the wings. As others have said, nothing a lot of filler can't solve, it just isn't fun to build at the moment ...

Given the Mk III is out in June, do you think they will eventually do a dedicated Mk II kit?

4 hours ago, Tak5haka said:

Given the Mk III is out in June, do you think they will eventually do a dedicated Mk II kit?

Given that SH have chosen the lazy route to make all versions of

the Sunderland using one fuselage (probably wings too), I wouldn't

hold my breath.

You can't make all versions of the Sunderland with the same fuselage and wings.

At least the Italeri Sunderland Mk I/III are proper fuselages for the specific version.

Regards

Alan

13 minutes ago, dalea said:

OK , so what's the recommendation?

Easy, there aren't any

Which ever way you choose to go, each of the three kits on the market

have their own issues, involving remedial work, if a modeller wants a decent

reasonably accurate model of a Short Sunderland.

• Like 1